Big Bulls from 2 and 10

I helped a guy take a nice bull off unit 2 the fourth day of season. Saw the governers tag bull come out 201. Just a 350 bull nothing to major for the governers tag. Then a friend of ours took a 338 off look out mountain in 2. My dad helped out a guy in unit 10 and took a bull the second day.

Hunted unit 10 with my dad. Saw a ton of bulls. Unbelievable!

Had the hunt of a lifetime and he was able to take a very nice 7X6 that scored 345. No monster bulls but alot of mature bulls 300-320 .

EH4

LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-09 AT 09:40AM (MST)[p]I saw the governor's tag bull and it was a 350+- class animal. I saw a huge freak killed in Unit #1. I have pictures but no authorization to post them. I hunted in Unit #1 and killed a 333", 43" inside spread, 51" & 53" main beams, 6x6. Great frame, just a little short on tine length kept it from being a great bull(for Colorado). I'm not an elk hunter, haven't killed an elk in almost 25 years. I was happy with it.

Lawrence
How easy would it be to fill a cow tag for thrid season over there in unit 1? Just looking for some meat to fill the freezer with.
Thanks!

It should be pretty easy. Cross the suspension bridge and take the dirt road running along the river down about 8 miles to that small tract of private that is just north of the Monument border. It's planted in alfalfa and the elk were on it. Obviously, you can't hunt the private, but there is public around it to the Monument.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-21-09 AT 12:14PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-21-09 AT 12:07?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Oct-21-09 AT 11:56?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Oct-21-09 AT 11:55?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Oct-21-09 AT 11:54?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Oct-21-09 AT 11:54?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Oct-21-09 AT 11:46?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Oct-21-09 AT 11:45?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Oct-21-09 AT 09:17?AM (MST)

Here is a picture of my bull from unit #1.

I give up. I don't want to have to work that hard to put a picture on here.

I think this might work.

scan0001.jpg

I seen the big freak horned bull in unit#1 go down also but the preliminary work that was performed to get him in the right place is far from what I would call a fair chase hunt but what a bull he is.

Funny thing you guys are talking about the freak horn bull. I would say there should have been a little more discretion on the tactics used in harvesting that bull. I was watching from 800 yards and boy was that a piss poor display of how to shoot a bull. Whoever you are, and you know who you are, you should be ashamed of calling that a FAIRCHASE hunt...

yote

Saw a pic of what I believe is the Bull from unit 1 in the the new Sportsmans Warehouse magazine, freak horn bull. I would also like to know the backstory though.

Yeah,
Come on guys whats the story?

Wow that's funny i was along with guy who killed that bull....Along with some other guys that have been videoing this bull for more than two weeks......What was so wrong about the way it was shot?????? COYOTEMAN2 ......You said you were 800 yards????You must of been the idiots that drove their horse trailer to the edge of the field right before daybreak and took you 30 to 45 mins to saddle your horses then ride past the herd up the two track road for prob 3000 yards then get off your horses???? And then got a 350 class bull shot out from under you..by a guy from texas that my buddy went and helped to get that bull....if that wasn't you sorry for Calling you a idiot...the guy shot him at 300+...He dropped in one shot....there was hunter that floated the river before day break from unit 201.. He shot first... I watched the bull drop....On the north/east side of the field on the BLM....That started the herd to move towards the monument...We were set up between the the field and the monument..When the bull jumped over the private fence and onto the blm and he had a good shot he shot...Whats not fair chase about that....The guys that were involved in this hunt did their research on these elk and had an idea what they were going to do...Sounds like to me someone is a little upset that they didn't know how to hunt the area......And Cactusman......We sat still and he came to us...Its called scouting....And a little luck...So how did you kill your bull???? I want to know what fair chase is?????

Now that we got that out of the way, how about a pic of this beast westernsage? That is some very cool country over there!

Its not my bull...So I will let someone else post it....Or I will see if anyone cares....Its a nice bull...

Well I guess if the guys that floated the river were not part of your group westernsage then you guys had more than a little luck going your way because it sure looked like you were all on the same page and the guys that floated the river went out into private where they didn't belong and took a shot that pushed the herd your way. I know a guy that watched the bull for two weeks also and he knows how to hunt that as good as anyone and if you were watching the bull for two weeks then you know that is not where he had been going. So if you guys were not with the guys in the boat then congratulations...you were in the right place at the right time.

Your right the bull 70 % of the time swam the river back into unit 201...But he has also went towards the monument. A few times with no pressure..And we also heard that there might be a gov tag hunting the 201 side of the river....I dont know who the guys are that floated the river... When I saw them shot i am pretty sure that they were on BLM...But then they couldn't find the elk so maybe they did get on the private...I did hear that they finally found the bull a couple days later...But I'm not sure....Looked like to me it fell in the river when it dropped...It was a 300 class bull...We couldn't believe they shot...So were you the ones on the horses???

Western and Cactus--did either of you or your group see any of those giant bucks that call that area home--we saw some dandy's during third season.

I saw a few buck a couple weeks before but nothing very impressive....But I bet up in the cliffs and rocks there are some good ones hiding....

Westernsage...Good job to you and your group on a real cool bull. I know how they like to go to the monument where you guys were set up but that is not what they were wanting to do until the two guys floated the river and shot. Looking from where I was they exceeded the small portion of public that you are talking about. I couldn't believe it when they shot either but if they shot at the 300 class bull you guys were in a pretty dangerous place because it would have been that direction and there was a lot of orange over there. I seen the guys on horses but don't know who they were. + 1 on the bucks nothing very impressive.

The guys that floated..The only way I saw them was I had the binos in the right spot at the right time and i heard the shot and watched the bull fall they were along side the river and shot down stream, not in our direction...It wasnt a big bull and from what I heard it fell in the river and they found it down steam 2 or 3 days later and called the dow and cut the horns off and tagged it...

The 300 bull ran right by the guys swam the river and into 201,there were others with me and seen the same thing.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom