bighorn at expo

carterj16

At the Expo there was a real nice bighorn mount in the front foyer before you went into the expo.
Its left horn was bent over pretty bad into his cheek. There was also pictures of the animal where its horn was in the normal position. Does anyone know how that happened without killing the animal or breaking the horn all the way off.
Im shocked it didn't crack his skull with how bad it was damaged?

The ram you speak of was killed by Thom, with the help of RutnBuck. The damage is caused by a decise like bercelitous, and would have eventually killed the ram, which also had little to no teeth. He was killed on a depredation tag. Mount turned out awesome.

4635sheep1.jpg

6957sheep2.jpg

Yelum

YBU

7019yelumlogosig2.jpg

It was great seeing Thom's ram at the expo.
Very cool, very fine mount, excellent story he told.
Zeke

I talked to Paul Pennie (taxidermist) about the mount. He said the core bone inside was broken and rotted. He figured it was probably from disease.
Crazy lookin' cool ram for sure. Paul does great work. Maybe he will chime in and comment on it.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-23-15 AT 10:16PM (MST)[p] I was sure glad to see it. Fine job Mr. Pennie did. First time I have seen it since the hunt. Thanks for the pic's Larry since I didn't have a cam with me. Maybe we will hear from Thom I am betting he is remodeling his house to make it fit around a Ram. Rutnbuck

As yelum said, probably caused by a disease. Most likely an infection that started as sinusitis and spread up into the bone core of the horn. The infection eroded bone and the weight of the horn caused it to slump down against his face. There was some scar tissue holding the horn on, and easily broke off once the skull dried out. The ram was 12.5 years old and had the slumped horn for 3 years when I killed him. He was old but healthy and there was no longer any sickness or infection. Paul did an excellent job, the mount is product of some fine taxidermy work, I'm more than impressed. Paul has some insight as well and will probably give us some info.
3585imag0442.jpg

3420imag0446.jpg

6830imag0525.jpg

Paul did outstanding. You need to put in some track lighting to light those trophies up.

Yelum

YBU

7019yelumlogosig2.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom