Bivy vs tent

vthokee

Looking for the pros vs cons of Bivy over light weight tent camping in a wilderness area. The area I'm hoping to be hunting this year I have hunted in the past but was hiking in everyday. I want to be able to be closer to where I know the big ones are. If I'm able to get my trailer on one of the forest roads that would be ideal but for this area there are a lot of rough roads not ideal for trailers. Next option is hiking in and setting up a spike camp.

What time of year? For summer scouting or early season hunting when it is still warm, I definitely prefer my lite 2-man tent over the bivy, because I can zip it closed and keep the odd snake out of it. Once it gets cold, we go for the heated trailer!

I've been using a floorless tent and am happy with the compromise. Only slightly heavier than a bivy, but with better ventilation and room. This one uses hiking poles instead of tent poles, so you save some weight AND have the poles for stability once you are packing out an animal. The downside is that it is draftier than a conventional tent, and more prone to condensation.

I haven't used a bivy much.

IMG_20151010_010147_zpsnnzst7tz.jpg
[/URL]

Some lightweight tent/tarp options:
http://www.bearpawwd.com/tents/tents.php
https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/
http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/tents-and-bivys

Beaten to death, risen and beaten again on Bowsite.com

Tons of good info there and plenty of folks in both camps, so to speak.

I'm very partial to tent. A light 1P tent (Nemo Obi is what I use currently, MSR Hubba or Easton model are similar options) is every bit as light as a bivy, but you have room to have gear, clothes, etc. inside.

Try waking up in the morning and dressing inside a bivy sack. Or eating inside one during the rain.

My hunting partner favors a hammock, but that's another topic entirely. I tried one and hated it.

Carl

>I've been using a floorless tent
>and am happy with the
>compromise. Only slightly heavier
>than a bivy, but with
>better ventilation and room.
>This one uses hiking poles
>instead of tent poles, so
>you save some weight AND
>have the poles for stability
>once you are packing out
>an animal. The downside
>is that it is draftier
>than a conventional tent, and
>more prone to condensation.
>
>I haven't used a bivy much.
>
>
>
IMG_20151010_010147_zpsnnzst7tz.jpg
[/URL]
>
>Some lightweight tent/tarp options:
>http://www.bearpawwd.com/tents/tents.php
>https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/
>http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/tents-and-bivys

I agree! I think I have this exact tent. Mine is a mountainsmith. About 90 bucks. U will get some condensation, the poles in the middle kinda get in the way but not too bad. Haven't used it in a downpour yet. Overall it's gonna be a goodbit lighter tgan a tent but not as weather proof and def not bug proof

If you don't mind me asking, what unit are you planning on hunting where you need to save the less than 2lb difference between a bivy set up and an ultralight tent? Ultra light tents are 100x more comfortable and much more weatherproof.

You will get a better nights sleep in any ultralight tent compared to a bivy.

weight difference is minimal

Exactly

>You will get a better nights
>sleep in any ultralight tent
>compared to a bivy.
>
>weight difference is minimal

I vote hotel! Darn that's not an option, if a few ounces between the two is an issue, how do you plan to pack out any meat? I vote for comfort over a few extra calories used, pack in a canvas wall tent, a Yeti cooler full of beer, back up bow or weapon, a solar power cell to charge your phone and power your electric toothbrush, your outdoor edge knife set, some cast iron pans to cook, 5lbs. of steak, and don't forget your 15 different bugles.

Just kidding! My suggestion, draw a tag and worry about it then.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-17-16 AT 09:45PM (MST)[p]>If you don't mind me asking,
>what unit are you planning
>on hunting where you need
>to save the less than
>2lb difference between a bivy
>set up and an ultralight
>tent? Ultra light tents
>are 100x more comfortable and
>much more weatherproof.

pm sent

Hahaha that's good stuff right there .

I vote hotel! Darn that's not
>an option, if a few
>ounces between the two is
>an issue, how do you
>plan to pack out any
>meat? I vote for comfort
>over a few extra calories
>used, pack in a canvas
>wall tent, a Yeti cooler
>full of beer, back up
>bow or weapon, a solar
>power cell to charge your
>phone and power your electric
>toothbrush, your outdoor edge knife
>set, some cast iron pans
>to cook, 5lbs. of steak,
>and don't forget your 15
>different bugles.
>
> Just kidding! My suggestion, draw
>a tag and worry about
>it then.

Not as much worried about the weight just wanted to see what was the pros vs cons. I have tent camped before but did it all the trail head. This time I want to get further in so I don't have to hike in and out everyday.

>I vote hotel! Darn that's not
>an option, if a few
>ounces between the two is
>an issue, how do you
>plan to pack out any
>meat? I vote for comfort
>over a few extra calories
>used, pack in a canvas
>wall tent, a Yeti cooler
>full of beer, back up
>bow or weapon, a solar
>power cell to charge your
>phone and power your electric
>toothbrush, your outdoor edge knife
>set, some cast iron pans
>to cook, 5lbs. of steak,
>and don't forget your 15
>different bugles.
>
> Just kidding! My suggestion, draw
>a tag and worry about
>it then.

I think you might be confused with the difference between lightweight backpacking with tents and actual bivying. Bivying is not really practical this day in age where u can have a <4lb tent easily without spending an arm and a leg. You'll get much better rest and therefore be much more productive during the day. I carry a super light bivy sack only when hunting solo where bad weather is possible in case I get caught out at night. It's never my plan, just more for safety.

>Not as much worried about the
>weight just wanted to see
>what was the pros vs
>cons. I have tent camped
>before but did it all
>the trail head. This time
>I want to get further
>in so I don't have
>to hike in and out
>everyday.
>
>
>>I vote hotel! Darn that's not
>>an option, if a few
>>ounces between the two is
>>an issue, how do you
>>plan to pack out any
>>meat? I vote for comfort
>>over a few extra calories
>>used, pack in a canvas
>>wall tent, a Yeti cooler
>>full of beer, back up
>>bow or weapon, a solar
>>power cell to charge your
>>phone and power your electric
>>toothbrush, your outdoor edge knife
>>set, some cast iron pans
>>to cook, 5lbs. of steak,
>>and don't forget your 15
>>different bugles.
>>
>> Just kidding! My suggestion, draw
>>a tag and worry about
>>it then.

I was thinking with a Bivy it would keep me a little more mobile vs the tent. But after looking at the lightweight tents and our pm's tent camping is going to be the way to go.

Bingo. These days bivies aren't any lighter than similar tents and the tent is SO much more comfortable and useful.

Carl

LAST EDITED ON Mar-18-16 AT 08:37AM (MST)[p]IF I don't expect ANY bad weather, I'll take the OR bivy for a overnight.
Otherwise I use a Kelty tent,one with a floor & fly.
I have seen super expensive, super light tents with no floor or fly, flood soo many times during a downpour.......once for me.
Same when I only had a siltarp. Woke up soaked @ 2am.
Why would anyone carry a tent with no waterproof floor or fly to keep water out?
Condensation will soak your bag without a fly & water on the ground during a storm will soak you with out a floor.
You will not be happy with your 2 lb sleep/cover system when your cold,soaked and miserable, 5 mi or more from your base/truck/home at 2 in the morning. Been there done that.Ruined more than one hunt all by myself....

I've been backpacking solo since mid 60's and have tried a few things over the years.Same with back country hunting.
Know your limits.

I take both. I have a bivy that weighs 9 oz that I'll stuff in my pack if I have plans of spiking out a night away from my main camp. other than that I either use my floorless shelter that jimmytarps builds. or if i'm with someone else i'll take my big agnes flycreek.

floorless tent/tarp is the way to go. as you can leave the dog butt-juice behind on the forest floor...but just make sure to hose down that sleeping pad.

I couldn't resist. LOL

A couple years back we ran into the same issue in our unit so we bought us a 3 man tent and camped back in there a ways. it worked great but i still felt like i wanted to be even more mobile so we bought yukon hammocks this year. hopefully we draw our first choice so we don't have to use them but if we pull our 3rd choice we plan on doing the same thing except this time going in a week early and packing in our tent and about 10-15 gallons of water each, and do some pre scouting as well. Then when our hunt starts we can pack in some additional water and our food and hammocks so we can have a basecamp 4-5 miles back in and then also can hunt from our packs for a couple days and always can head back and re supply back at basecamp

Tallpine,
I have also thought about doing the same thing on scouting trips. Pack in a little gear at a time so we are not hauling it all in at once.

Thats definitely going to be what i will do this year if me or my wife draws. We had about a 380-390 bull last year on our second to last day that we found that was right at our limits pretty much on being able to get him out so hopefully we draw and can get back in there and we can be a little more mobile and always have our base/spike camp to fall back on to resupply and have a little more comfort.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom