Blend wall tent??

B

Bullcanyon

Buddy and I are looking to buy a wall tent for hunting. I've seen a couple companies that make a tent with relite sides and a canvas roof. They are 25lbs lighter than a 100% canvas tent. We will be hunting above 4000' in september so weather should be mid. I'll be suprised if the lows get down to 30 degrees. We will also use this tent through out the summer on camping trips both by horse and at roadside camp spots.

Anyone care to comment on a blend tent? Mostly worried if it will still breathe well enough with relite walls.

take a good look at the Cabelas Bighorn II. I can't say enough good things about it. It is very well built and thought out well. I've been in 25 degrees with high winds and snow and stayed warm and comfortable.

How well does that cabelas tent breathe? Any problems with condensation? How many guys have you had in it?

Thanks

Here's a picture of 10x12 canvas tent with a tailored rain/snow roof tarp thrown over the top. It's all made by Davis Tent and I was very happy to have it along on this hunting trip where we camped at 9500 feet. The picture was taken October 3rd 2005, so don't count on blue bird weather in the high country.

Four of us went in on horseback and used two pack horses for our stuff. The tent and rain/snow tarp weighed about 60 lbs

43eab59132489437.jpg

Next time you bump into Anderson, ask him if he has used his yet. He picked one up last September.

Jeff

Funny you say that. Terry came over yesterday to show me some pics of his blacktail and told me the same thing. I know Jeff won't buy anything for hunting unless he thinks it awesome.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-10-06 AT 01:25PM (MST)[p]The cabelas tent breathes very well. It has several screened vents to allow air to circulate. I've never seen so much as a drop of condensation. When all the guy lines are pulled real tight that thing could take a direct hit. It is very well made. I would definitely recommend the floor liner. It also sets up fairly easily. No more than 20 minutes or so once you get the hang of it with two guys. It sleeps 4 guys with gear easily.

I have the Cabelas Alaknak tent and cannot say enough good things about it. Plenty of headroom, solid in the wind, great with snow, condensation is not a problem, can put a wood stove in it, easy to set up( i can set it up myself in about 20 minutes ).

I have one of the original Cabelas Alaknak tents (12x12)made by Montana Canvas out of Realite matrial and have had it for over 12 years. Its a great tent and I use it 3 or 4 times a year. However, Cabelas took Montana Canvas' design, made some changes and now has it made in China out of another material that doesn't breath as well as Realite. I wouldn't buy one now. The Blend wall tent from Cabelas is made by Montana Canvas here in the good old USA and is on my wish list. Whenever possible I'm buying "made in USA"

I can speak of the material you mentioned. I have a 10x12 Beckel Canvas Tent made of Relite sides and Canvas top. I have used it in Septemeber and in the late season of November with snow. I think it is the best for the weight and durability. I bought some angles from Outfitters packstation in Idaho and made an internal frame for roadside camps. If you pack on horses this tent is perfect. It doesn't double in weight when wet! A bonus is they come standard with zipper doors on both ends! Easy to use lodge pole's for a frame in the backcountry. Use a plastic tarp to help insulate and keep the snow off in the winter

http://www.beckelcanvas.com/

Good luck.

WB

I just purchased 2 16x20 all canvas wall tents from Davis Tents. We put them for the first time this weekend to wet them down and burn the stoves in. These are great tents!

I just wish it wasn't 105 degrees outside!!!

You should really take a look at Davis Tents or least give them a call.

- Rich

I bought a 12x15 from canvas cabins in oregon great tent it is treated with sunforger the first time i set it up and soaked it from the inside first i felt the outside it was bone dry couldnt believe it

Another voter here for Davis Tents...I received mine earlier this year and although I have yet to get it out in some really nasty weather - it is a top notch tent. It is very tight and well made, we have been waring it out!! I'll never buy another canvas or wall tent from another company. The owner was very helpful - excellent folks to trade with.

It may be a little heavier than a blend, but it is not much of a problem...I can put it up by myself in ten minutes, fifteen with the fly. Like any thing else...a little practice and a system to it goes a long way.

Good luck with what ever you choose.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom