Boned out meat?

MeatMissile

I was wondering if anybody has a link or instructions on the proper way to bone out meat? I have only quartered animals and dropped quarters off to the butcher. Are there specific ways that you need to cut so that steaks and everything come out properly? Or do you just go at it, removing meat however it comes off the bone?

thanks,

Thanks. I'll see if I can find the video. I didn't know about that site and didn't know David Long was still actively writing articles in one spot. I enjoy reading his stuff.

thanks,

Get the book "Basic Butchering of Livestock and Game."

It has good detail.

Basically there are 2 major meat groups on the hind legs - sirloins and rounds - you can follow the major lines in between to get them off. Bone out the back straps and tenderloins from the carcass. On the front legs, you can get steaks off an elk from the tricep - again follow the lines. Deer and antelope, everything but the Rounds/Sirlions/Backstraps and Tenderlions get turned into burger. For the elk I will make steaks out of the tricep as well.

Concept time here.

Make one slit down the inside to get to the bone, work around the bone and remove it from the meat. Don't take the meat off the bone in pieces in the field.

The fewer cuts you make to the meat in the field the better. Simply get the bone out and slide the meat into a game bag or pillow case. Regular pillow cases hold a boned out elk hind quarter perfectly and weight about 85 lbs on a 350 bull.

The front shoulder is tougher to do this as the scapula takes some time to work out and you can end up with a few differnt pieces.

Cheers,
Pete

Thanks guys. That's pretty much what I was looking for. I figured if I followed lines and got the meat off the bone as whole as possible I'd be good to go. I just wanted to make sure I was not going to ruin all my steaks by doing something stupid.

thanks again,

Do as Pete suggested, then separate each muscle, following the membrane seams after you get home. Use a long fillet knife and fillet the outer casing off the muscle just like you would fillet the skin off a bass. Then cut into steaks, use as a roast, or burger.

Yea, once I'm to this point, I might just start cutting, grinding and wrapping all my own meat. Next on the list a grinder. After the initial start up, probably save a good chunk of money each year I guess.

as always, thank you guys for helping a novice.

I bought a cabelas grinder last year. Works great and you don't need near as big a one as many recommendations say. I have a 1/2 horse and did a full elk in literally no time.

Since you have quartered before, you should be able to bone just fine. Just cut close to the bone on the front shoulder and hind quarter. You can separate the muscle groups later or your processor can, just take care to keep the meat free of hair and debris as much as possible. I used a havelon knife this year for the first time and can say that it's the best knife I've ever used. You can quarter and bone a critter on one blade if you're careful. The blades are so cheap and easy to replace, using one or two more is no big deal.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom