bow recommendations

dslaughter

My brother and nephew have been shooting one of my old hand me down bows for a couple of years now. This year they want to come up to Colorado and archery elk hunt (they've muzz hunted successfully up here for a few years now).
I've told them that I would be happy to take them but they've got to invest some money in some new gear. I haven't purchased or shopped for a new bow since 2003.
Can any one offer some advice on a good setup that won't break the bank?
My nephew is in college and his schedule works with early season archery very well. I see this being an annual family outing for us.
thanks in advance,
ds

LAST EDITED ON Jun-08-10 AT 08:30AM (MST)[p]Well like many are gona say you gotta go to the bow show and then youll know after shooting. But you might wana keep an eye out for a Hoyt Powerhawk, ive never shot one but my friend has one and he really likes it and its affordable. Also Parker makes great affordable bows. Something to look for to have on any bow is a some type of string stopper, youd be amazed how well of a job they do.

The first thing is not to rule out the high end bows. (hoyt and Mathews) Just rule out brand new ones. Money can be saved by buying last years bow new this year...

Way more money can be saved by picking one up that is two-three years old. More home work, but a very nice bow can be had for pretty cheap. (250-400) often they will come outfitted with some good stuff, as the guy is just looking for a reason to buy new stuff to put on his new bow.. (the kid across the street just loves it when I get into the new bow mood)

Remember you can spend as much putting stuff on a bow as the bow cost.

I have no issues with the other bow companies that are less expensive. Parker does make a nice bow. Bear seems to have a nice one as well. never be a fan of the PSE stuff I have owned, but they might have some good stuff now.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-08-10 AT 09:49AM (MST)[p]PSE BOW MADNESS, great bow for a reasonable cost. Parker makes a decent bow as well or if you can find a nice used Hoyt or Mathews from the past couple of years, they are great as well.

I recently upgraded from my 2002 bow, I can't believe the difference 8 years made in the archery world as far as quality, speed, etc. 50 yards used to be my max yardage, now it is easily 70 yards.

By the way, I was not a PSE fan before either, now I love them. I originally went looking for the high end hoyts and mathews, ended up with a bow not even on my list to start with...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom