Bozeman Montana

brushstomper

Looking into a possible move out of State and Bozeman is one option. Does any one have idea how the hunting around Bozeman is. I have heard from some friends that there is good upland bird hunting. But how about deer and elk and is it possible to get tags around there without having to build up years worth of points. Will probably head out there for a week in May, so should be able to get some info then also. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Brushstomper

Hunting in all directions.
Been there only once, that was last Jan. 2005 went there to leave my Schnees Boots to have new soles changed out.
There are a few locals that are members here on MM. Good luck to you on the visit.

Brian

Brushstomper:

I live in Bozeman. It is the most overcrowded, hippie hangout in the west. I wouldn't move here if I were you. It will be a waste of your time and effort. The nearest hunting is at least 200 miles from here. All the elk were eaten by the wolves and the birds have all come down with the Shanghai Chicken Flu.

OK, so I probably didn't scare you off. There is good hunting here. It is probably somewhat overrated, but can be good if you work hard at it. There is adequate public land, but that requires horses or being in really good shape to be continually successful. We all get lucky occasionally and find a stupid elk within a mile of the trailhead, but not very often.

The private lands are all leased or require tresspass fees. If you are a bird hunter, you will pay money to hunt birds in this valley. If you are willing to travel, you can find decent bird hunting in Eastern Montana.

Guys who have lived here for a while had to work extremely hard to find their honey holes or to make landowner connections. Do not expect them to tell you much, myself included.

If you don't need to make your living here, it can be good. If you have to work for a living, prepare yourself for wages below the national average and housing costs more than 120% of the national average. It is a hard gap to cover. A lot of folks come here to follow a dream, only to have the economic realities of this place shatter the dream.

Good luck if you move here. If you want to get connected to the hunting crowd, there are three groups to look up. Join either the RMEF or DU committees, or join the Headwaters Fish and Game Association. The hardest core hunters in the valley belong to those groups, and some of the really hard core guys belong to no groups at all, not wanting to get pressured to share their knowledge.

Good luck!

Big fin, thanks for the heads up! I definitely don't want to end up in an over crowded hippie town. I am dealing with that already so I guess I can start looking elsewhere. Too funny.

I was curious how much land was private especially for the bird hunting. The mountains do look pretty steep so I can see where the horses would come in handy. I have hunted with and without horses there are pros and cons to both. I am sure it is hard to get any info out of the locals and I don't blame them I don't give up my honey holes either. How far East do you have to travel for the free bird hunting? So I take it is fairly easy to get tags for the area just not so easy to fill them.

You hit the nail right on the head about the housing and wages it is a huge gap almost unbelievable. Unfortunately for me I do need to work. I am a Deputy Sheriff and am looking into both the Police and Sheriff's Department out there. I also have the dream and what to make certain I can still put food on the table also. Thank you for the input it is grately appreciated.

Kilowatt, that sure was a long way for you to take your boots to get re-soled especially if you were coming from Northern California. I spent a few years up in The Hayfork area, hunting those beautiful Balcktails until they shut the saw mill down. Sure do miss it up there. I have family in Redding also. Thanks for your input and how did the boots turn out?

Brushstomper-It isnt all that bad here, at least in Bozeman their are a ton of jobs, for somebody who is willing to work. Alot more opportunity here than the rest of the state. True housing costs are spendy, but you will also make 15% a year on your investment at a minimum based on current market trends. I have a couple of friends who work for the Sheriffs department and really like it, there is a bunch of hardcore hunters within the ranks. I know that the Sheriffs pay real well if you can get on. The hunting is good here and better if you are not afraid to drive a bit, two hours and you have more hunting and fishing than you will ever know what to do with, and even more opportunities beyond that. Their are some other towns nearby that might work for you as well. Good luck and if you have anymore questions you can PM me.
hunterrunningfrombearlgclr5ju.gif

brushstomper,
I was on my way back to CA from hunting north of Bozeman and dropper them off there and they mailed them back to me. As far as how did they turn out, well lets say they did not fit like they had before, too tight.
Called and talked with them and was told to send them back so they could look at them. To make the story short, they sent me a brand new pair with the new liners but in size 12. So guess you could say I came out of this good, since the boots were about 14 years old.
When did you leave Hayfork?? A close family friend lived there for many years in Hyampom but no longer there.

Brian

Sheepeater, thanks for the reply! It does seem like the town is really growing. I wonder how long that will last and are alot of the people moving there retired or young families also?
I did notice the Sheriff's Department pays more than the Police Department. It is good to hear about the hard core hunters in the ranks. Two hours of driving is not bad for decent hunting I drive an hour each day for work. Thanks again. Brushstomper

Kilowatt, what were you hunting up there in Montana and how did you do? Sounds like you came out of that boot deal pretty good. I left Hayfork in 1990, what was the last name of the family friend that used to live there? (you can PM me if you want)Good hunting up there, alot of wildlife. Killed some decent bucks up there. I would like to go back for a hunt sometime but time is hard to come by.

I grew up in Livingston and went to school at MSU in Bozeman. I moved to Seattle for work, still consider Montana home. Bozeman is a great town to live in. Summer time especially. Lots to do in the outdoors on your days off. If your an archer you'll be in heaven because you can still hunt during bow and gun seasons. My advice is to get a job with the Sheriff's department and move to Bozeman before next hunting season.

Hunterofelk, thanks for the info. I had a good friend go to MSU and he loved it up there also. It just seems to be an all around nice town. I used to bow hunt and would love to get back into it. Unfortunately I can't move until October due to work responsibilities so probably wouldn't make it for this season but should have plenty of time to scout things out for the following season. The hunt calender is pretty filled up already so I won't be missing out. Just can't take the Big City life too much longer and want to make the move before the kids get too old. Thanks, Brushstomper

Hunterofelk, glad to see another MSU alum on the board, I did the opposite of you, grew up in Seattle area, went to MSU for school and now am back here, missing montana all the time. Bozo is a great little town would be awesome to move back to someday.

Ridge, I didn't know you went to MSU. BSME, 1999. Walked on the football team and played a bit. When were you there?

I was too busy with football to do any hunting. Had fun, though.

-Jerry

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom