Broadhead tuning

J

JOHUNT

LAST EDITED ON Aug-20-09 AT 04:59PM (MST)[p]Do I have to do anything special to my bow except move my sight a bit to properly tune my bow to shoot Broadheads?

Thanks guys

Moving your sight does nothing but change the point of impact. Tuning is the process of making sure that the arrows are being shot out of the bow with optimum flight. Tuning starts with the arrow. Tips need to be in line with the arrow shaft. If inserts are not installed correctly, the broadhead may not be tuned to the shaft. Same can be said if the arrows are not cut correctly.

Next comes tuning the bow. Tuning is a series of adjustments made to get optimal arrow flight. What is tuned is different to many folks. Some consider a bullet hole through paper tuned. Others consider MOA (1"/10 yrds) broadhead groups tuned. Others want broadhead groups and field tip groups to hit at the same point of impact. That I believe is the goal a bowhunter should achieve. I consider tuned to mean that the bow is capable of putting together 4" broadhead groups at 40 and have the field tip and broadheads impact the same place on the target.

Once the bow's string has been broken in (no creep, etc.) the tuning process can get serious. The Easton Tuning Guide is considered one of the best resources for tuning. Basically, tuning consists of making nock set (or D loop) adjustments up or down, and arrow rest adjustments from left to right in small increments to get optimal arrow flight. If your broadheads hit higher or lower than your field tips a nock set adjustment should be made. If your broadheads are hitting left or right of the field tips, a rest adjustment should be made.

Only move your sight to change the impact position of your group once you've gotten the bow tuned by moving the rest and nock set.

Things like improper cam timing, fletching contact, and other things can make tuning a pain, but it is well worth it once you get to that result.

Good Luck,

Nick

There sure have been a lot of posts on this subject lately. Search and you will find advice up the yin yang. Prety much everything can be summaraized by downloading the Easton Tuning guide and reading the section on Broadhead tuning. Moving the sight is not the proper fix.

Shoot G5 Strykers and you won't have to tune anything! These shoot exactly like my field points, no adjustment necessary for me.

I prefer the old school way of trial and errror.
this weekend i did just that.
i went thru a doz, arrows,
shooting some where around 400 times.
first shoot all the arrows and place them in order of best to worst.
took 8 broadheads muzzys, 120 grain.
placed one on an arrow at a time, and shot each one on each arrow, twice once for show and once for placement.
this allowed me to find the best set of 4 and i numbered them just that way.
the other 4 are backups.
adn the last 4 arrows are field practice.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom