Broadheads for Elk

hikenhunt

It seems to me if you want reliability, structural toughness along with accuracy that the Innerloc, Montec and Muzzy fixed blade broadheads are all you need to fuss with for Elk - comments ???

To each his own, but there are better broadheads, IMHO

The top of my ?elk broadhead? list would look something like this;

Magnus Stinger 4 blade
Magnus SS Snuffer
Slick Trick
Wac Em Triton
Shuttle T lock
NAP Hellrazor

The only Muzzy that would make the top twenty would be the Phantom, and the only Montec would be the Striker.

Thanks for your response. I've only been archery hunting 4 years and I really did this post to generate comments.

I've looked up some information on the broadheads you mentioned and some of them look like they are highly rated. It's a good possibility I will choose one of the ones you mentioned.

One last question - if you had only one choice what would it be ?????

LAST EDITED ON May-26-08 AT 11:51AM (MST)[p]
>
>One last question - if you
>had only one choice what
>would it be ?????

all the above heads will work well and I would have to add Steelforce Phatheads to the list. My top choice though would be Magnus Stinger 4 blades. I like a cut on contact head with a long cutting edge. They fly right through elk and they never know they are shot. They just walk off and fall over never going very far. Every blood trail I have had, if I didn't see it drop, has been like walking down a red highway. Plus they're very easy to sharpen and they have a lifetime warranty. Fair price too.

It depends, how much energy or momentum does your bow generate ?
What's more important to you, penetration or a big hole ? The ability to break through bone ?
If you're shooting 60 lbs or less, the first two heads on my list by Magnus are designed for superior penetration. They both have a superb reputation for sharpness and accuracy.
If you're shooting 65 lbs or more, the Magnus are still a top choice, but the Slick Trick, Shuttle and Wac Em have thick, solid steel ferrules that could easily break the heaviest bone. The Trick is a four blade head so it cuts more. The Shuttle has the best blade retention system I have ever seen. The Wac Em is available in both a 1 1/16? and the ?XL? version at 1 ?? if you want to make a really big hole.
Lot's to consider, one of these heads will be on my arrows this fall.

i agree with anaconda.. magnus snuffer and the nap hellrazor.. absolutely can't go wrong... my wife shot the crimson talon this past year. killed he animals, but that broadhead is a pile of junk. do not recommend that one at all.. my 2 cents

LAST EDITED ON May-26-08 AT 09:36PM (MST)[p]WAC EM. They have performed flawlessly for me and deer and elk. Unbelievable penatration, tough, easy to sharpen and they group with my field points. I have had complete pass throughs on all of my elk but one. (long story, bad shot, hit the spine so he dropped in his tracks).

Three things are important to me in a broadhead. First is consistancy. Second is accuracy.(first two kind of go together) Third is penetration. Wac em's fly true, and cut on contact. I shot my last elk at 45 yards and he went 20 ft. I love those broadheads.

Support your local Dentist...Rinse with Mountain Dew every night before bed.

I had an elk tag last year and wondered the same thing.There are so many good ones.My archery shop let me borrow like 5 different demo heads they get.I shot them all and two of them flew better out of my bow than the others.The shuttle T's and the slick tricks.So I narrowed it down and the slick sricks penetrated farther through my target every time so i decided to try them out.Not saying ones better than the other but that slick trick knocked the hell out of my bull! I have never seen an elk react like that from being shot with an arrow in my life,my dad hasnt either. He was quartering towards me and his leg was back so I placed the shot in front of his shoulder and it sliced one lung and burried the broadhead in the other lung.The shot picked him up off his front legs and he spun around and died 50yds from the shot.passing through bone sideways and doing all that dammage only one blade broke.It worked for me but who knows for you.try a few and see what you like.

Well, I went to the bow shop today and probably drove the owner nuts looking at broadheads. I had a pack of just about everything out, theres so many good ones its hard to pick. I decided to give the Slick Trick 100 Magnums a try. I'll let you know how they do once I shoot them.

We killed a couple of wild hogs with slick trick 100 mags and one pig was 300 lbs they done the job nicley with no broken blades.

I tried the Shuttle T last year and really liked it, the bull I shot was not overly found of the thing but I was.
It flew so well out of my bow, and seemed to be very durable.
It was down to Wacem or Shuttle T, and I seemed to be more consistant with the Shuttle.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom