Building knifes

Idahoron

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-14 AT 04:35PM (MST)[p]I am playing around with making knives this winter. Some of these are going to be Christmas presents.

First4A_zpsbe34feb0.jpg

Those are great!

Are you building the blades as well? Either way you have some great tallent.

I'm not trying to get in your business but just some friendly advise.. Your next equipment investment should be a buffer. A Dewalt bench grinder with 8" buffing wheels and white buffing compound work great and less than $150 for the set up. If you are interested I would be happy to send you some links of what I use.

It will take your knives to the next level and put extra "pop" to them.

You can see on the buffed vs. non buffed on this blade.

unbuffedknife_zps0d36287d.jpg

IMG_1895_zps363eb908.jpg

Also a polished tang really shines nice and not to mention what a mirror finish on your bolsters would do.

IMG_1900_zpsed9850f7.jpg

But the real treat of having a buffer is how much past razor sharp a mirror finish on your edge will create. A polished razor sharp edge will become surgical scalpel sharp.

You can see the difference. The broadhead on the right is razor sharp and will shave easily, the broadhead on the left with a polished edge will shave your face like a barber razor no problem.

broadhead03_zpsf0a5a33e.jpg

Anyway, please don't take my advise as critisism because it isn't. You make a great knife and its easy to see your knives are well planned out and you clearly take great time in getting proper fit.

Todd

Those look good Ron! Home made gifts given from the heart are the true meaning of Christmas!

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

Well done Ron. I like the rivets on the first knife. Yesterday I boned a Sitka blacktail with the same knife I got for Christmas when I was 12 (41 years ago). After looking at yours it looks like it's time for a new knife.

For long distance dial 1-800-338-EDGE

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom