buying a point with your application?

seven

LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-14 AT 10:59AM (MST)[p]If you choose the option to buy a pp and have the cost lumped in to your total application fee, is that pp available for this year? As an example, if I have 3 pps available for the 2014 draw from previous years, and I choose to buy one with my 2014 application, will I be at 4 pps when they do the draw, or is the point purchased not good until the following season?

I think it would be used for the 2015 season..... Buying just a point pretty much states that you cant hunt this year or saving points for harder areas.......

Yep, that PP would not be good until 2015 and if you drew a first choice tag this year they would refund that PP money and you'd start at zero in 2015.

Thanks for the responses guys. Looks like I'll enter without buying the point in hopes I draw and don't have to wait for a refund check. If I decide to get a point for next year I'll get one when they're on sale over the summer.

Topgun, why would they refund his PP money that he paid this year? I would think that if he drew his 1st choice for 2014 and he paid for a PP on his application (that the hunter knows applies to 2015 anyway) they would keep it and he would have 1 PP for 2015? I guess you're saying that the system is setup so that once you hunt a 1st choice, you can't enter the following year with a point? I don't see why I can't hunt my 1st choice this year and have the point that I paid for this year apply to next year. Thanks for your patience - just trying to understand.

"I guess you're saying that the system is setup so that once you hunt a 1st choice, you can't enter the following year with a point?"

affirmative. It's that way for every state that has points.

Yep, it's just a way so that others have a chance to get a tag by making the guy that's lucky enough to draw a first choice wait a year to buy another one and get back in the game.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-21-14 AT 01:22PM (MST)[p]Ya, but you don't really wait a year.
A guy can either have points or a tag in the calendar year. Not both. The very next application period (unless the tag requires a waiting period, like moose) a guy can either have a tag or buy points. But again, not both in the same year.
We're all saying the same thing. That's just my spin on it to keep my head straight.
Zeke

>Ya, but you don't really wait
>a year.
>A guy can either have points
>or a tag in the
>calendar year. Not both. The
>very next application period (unless
>the tag requires a waiting
>period, like moose) a guy
>can either have a tag
>or buy points. But again,
>not both in the same
>year.
>We're all saying the same thing.
>That's just my spin on
>it to keep my head
>straight.
>Zeke

***If you draw first choice with your PPs you get a refund for the PP you bought when you applied for the draw and that for elk is the month of January. For deer and antelope it's 1/1-3/15. The draw is over before the summer PP only period occurs and the computer will not let you buy a PP then because it knows you drew a first choice license. Therefore, the next time you can buy a PP is the following year and it will be another year before that PP is used in the draw. If that happens this year, the guy would not have a PP to use until 2016 at the earliest with the PP he could buy in 2015.

We're saying the same thing just in a different way.
You explained when points can and cannot be purchased and why and when they can be used.
I just said you can't have both a FC tag and buy points in the same year.
Same thing unless I'm missing something.
Zeke

Gotcha! I've been trying to do too many things today too fast and just didn't read your post close enough, LOL!

Not to stir the pot at all, but I called the WG&F to ask about this, and this is what the guy told me:

If I pay for the pp with my application but end up drawing my first choice, I will get a refund check sent to me for the cost of the pp. If I don't draw my first choice, I will get the point.

But, I asked about buying a point over the summer, and my understanding from what he told me was that even if I draw my first choice, over the summer I can buy a point during the 'point only' period and have it apply to next years draw. Obviously I can't buy another point in the summer if I didn't draw my first choice and paid the point cost in my application fee and received a point for not drawing first choice.

But some have said that this is not the case due to the system not letting you buy a point over the summer if you drew your first choice?

LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-14 AT 01:33PM (MST)[p]
The front end staff at the dept are pretty good. You were told wrong.

The draw and point only period are both 2014 draw periods. Draw a 1st choice hunt, you won't be buying a point in the summer.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-14 AT 01:15PM (MST)[p]The person you talked to better go back to the drawing board because he is not correct if what you say he told you is true. There is no way you can buy a PP and hunt a first choice in the draw in the same calendar year, no way, no how! Simple logic when reading the quoted sections below should tell anyone that you can't buy one in the summer application period if you paid for one in the application period, drew your first choice and lost them all, along with the one they refunded. If what he said was true, they wouldn't refund the money you already paid for the PP in the application period and make you apply again! Trust us on this one because I actually tried to see if that was true when I drew my first choice with an ave. of 3.5PPs with another guy in 2012 and that PP choice for antelope was grey on my account and would not let me access and buy a PP for 2013 during the summer aplication period. In other words, been there done that! Either you misunderstood or they have someone answering the phone who should not be addressing those kinds of questions.

"If the nonresident applicant wants to accumulate preference points in the initial license drawing, they must select the
fee option that includes the preference point fees for full price elk, deer and antelope licenses. The preference point
fees that must be remitted are $50 for elk, $40 for deer and $30 for antelope ($10 for youth for each species). These
applicants will be awarded a preference point if unsuccessful in drawing their first choice. If the applicant submits the appropriate preference point fee with their limited quota license application for the initial
license drawing and does not draw their first choice, they will be awarded a preference point for the year in which the
application was submitted. Drawing a license for your second or third choice does not cause preference points to be
deleted and the applicant will still be awarded a preference point for the year."

I bought 2 a cpl years ago when the draw computer was messed up. Then about 6 months later they sent me a check....

Sorry to bring an old thread back but I was thinking about the following situation the other day:

If I draw my first choice for elk, can I buy a point for deer later that year in the point only time frame? Or are you not allowed to buy points for any species if you draw your first choice of one species for a given year?

Elk and deer are totally independent.
YES, you can buy deer points later even if you draw your 1st choice elk.
Zeke

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom