Can-am Commander

I have owned both... If your going to the Sand Dunes all the time then the RZR's or xp is the way to go.. If your going to be in the mountains hunting etc. then the Commander is hands down the way to go.
The rzr is very hard to get in and out of unless your really small, has no storage, and its power is at a lot higher RPM..

The Commander has a ton of storage, great low end torque, and is all around more versatile.

I have to say that my Commander is much quieter than my RZR and the Commander is way more comfortable for an average size guy.

Polaris is also the most work on out of the popular UTV's.

Not trying to start a Chevy/Ford debate. Just an opinion from a guy how has owned both and has used them for about everything.

We just bought a Commander 1000 but not sure I could offer an accurate oppinion yet. The winch is a nice feature and I do like the amount of storage in the back.

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

LAST EDITED ON May-26-12 AT 09:25AM (MST)[p]Are you kidding me? There aint no wheeler worth 20 grand. go ahead and build one you like and see how much it costs
http://www.canamoffroad.com/build-y...045-9329-4aeecfc050c3#StepID=6&OptionGroupID=

Looking at the width of the commander which I could only find at 58.5 means I would get a Razr. It is still the only one that is 50 inches wide and legal on atv only trails.

In what state are you hunting ? If in Utah ? We have alot of 50 inch wide trails in the area we hunt. So if you know the area you will be hunting on know the trails in those areas it may help. For example ,I have friends with rhinos and some with quads. When we come up to a 50 inch trail we all keep going the rhino and other side by sides have to turn around and find another way. It's a real pain !
So if this is the case,like said above. The razor is the only one that makes a 50" machine. You can also put a street legal kit on it and ride it to and from most mountain trails.

I just had a terrible experience with BRP ( can am, and ski doo). They could care less about the customer and stiffed us out of a $700.00 snow mobile motor core charge. I'd never buy anything from them with there customer service.

If I had $15,000, I'd be looking at the Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000 instead of the razor. If you're on a budget, consider the Kawasaki Teryx. I love mine!

In my opionion I would stay as far away from the rzr as possible for a hunting rig. They sit way to low, tiny bed for hauling gear, and the "roll cage" may as well be built out of tin foil. I don't know much about the article cats new machine but the prowlers are very limited on power. I debated for a long time on what machine to buy and it came down to between the teryx and can am commander, I chose the commander because of several reasons. I have had good luck with the outlander fourwheeler, their is room for everything I need to take, seemingly I endless power, and they are comfortable to ride in. Took my commander out for the first ride today and I am not at all dissapointed, even crossing water up to the seats it kept going without any issues.

Thx for all the comments. Although I do see the argument of having a machine 50in or less, I want a commander. Better overall hunting rig IMO

The fad will soon fade, I am not a fan of any side by side. I worked for a dealer and will never own Can-Am. They are not reliable and their customer service is horrible. Kawaski is the best manufacturer to work with. Their quality is good also. But everyone has their preference.
Danner makes the best hunting rig.

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

>
2654006.jpg

>
>Made my decision yesterday....2012 Polaris RZR
>800

Be sure and get you some good doors for it, if you are going on wet, muddy roads, as it terrible for slinging mud and water into the cab on your legs. I think the designer has never been out of the office and off the pavement.

For any of you out there who may decide on a RZR take a serious look at the ##### Shepherd "door", Central Valley, Utah. I have a 2011 RZR with 5400 miles on it and love it. With the Shepherd doors I can load it in the back of my short box truck(and get out). I have a heater and side curtains which puts out plenty of heat and I don't have to take the doors off. We were down in Kanab looking over the country where we will be hunting this fall and a fellow with Pro-Armor doors stopped and said he wished he would have bought doors like mine because he has to put his RZR in a trailer. He can't open or climb out of his, should he put it in the back of his truck. My neighbor has a Commander of which I have ridden in. His definitely has more room for a hunter should a person get a deer, but in my estimation that where it ends. His "o'yeller" is to hot to ride in during the summer, is noisier than the RZR and doesn't even have as good of a ride. Riding down a graded road with them is great UNTIL the 50" trail comes up.

Then there is the additional assessories - can am parts are almost double the cost of the rzr add-ons.

(You can see the Shepherd doors on Channel 5 web-site classified under UTV Parts.)

Here is a 50 " razor with pro armor doors
9318rzron55.jpg

When loading in a inclosed trailer. I learned to back it in so i can open to door to get out and with the passenger side closest to the wall.So yes this can be a issue.
The main problem with the pro armor doors is there are 50 " at the bottom then flare out at the top 2 1/2 " . For a full 5 " making it 55 "wide at the top of the door. The new latches are great and i like the doors except the width problem. Didn't see that coming when I bought them. :-(

I have a RZR as well. I just have the stock webbing doors and have driven it on very muddy roads. I haven't had that big a problem with mud slinging onto the occupants with he stock wheels and tires. It looks like you built a pretty basic RZR without any of the options so you might try it without the doors for a season and see what you think. One option I would definitely add would be the hard top to give you a little protection from the rain and sun. In addition to that, I have a winch, front and rear brush guards, rock bars, heater, and the half and full windshields. I also added an after market stealth muffler and an audio amp with speakers.

As others have noted, space for all your gear is somewhat lacking especially if you have a passenger. If you are by yourself the empty seat makes a great place for your pack and it won't see as much dust riding shotgun...

Have fun!

Horniac

I am planning on front and rear bumpers (so far the deluxe one's from Polaris?). I intend to add some additional "screening" over the lights/radiator. I am planning on fabricating my own top w/"lip" for additional storage. I also will be fabricating bars from the front bumper to the rollcage to facilitate storage on the front. Probably add the winch as well.

Here is a rear rack we added . We use it to haul stuff into the cabin in the winter. It works pretty well. You can see it in the picture above. But I have a better picture that shows the rack I will load it up for you to see. It made the storage alot better for us anyway.See what you think ?
2884img_0114.jpg

Here is one from above.
9403img_0124.jpg

Don't know who's in the Drivers Seat?:D

But He looks as if He's ready to tear them Mountains up!

Look at the Damage to that Snow!:D

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

I've got Wild Honey Tree's and Crazy Little Weeds growin around my Shack!
These Dusty Roads ain't streets of gold but I'm happy right where I'm at!
All these Perty little Western Belles are a Country Boys Dream!
They ain't got Wings or MM Halo's but they sure look good to me!

Bessy....... I think it's Doug Miller ? :)
The snow gets tore up more with the snow plow on ! Its about five feet deep under the razor in that picture.

That is a cool looking rack! I wish some company would make some good aftermarket racks like yours that could be purchased for those of us RZR owners who can't fabricate our own.

I would like to also find one for the front that goes from the bumper to the roll cage so you could carry packs and stuff over the hood. I think you get less dust up front as well...

Horniac

RYFAB of Logan, Utah makes a better one that looks similar. You might pull up their website and look at them. Their boxes are expensive, but second to none. Nearly to dust free. Shepherd makes a great looking front rack as well as doors, skid plates and safety glass windshields.

Hey thanks for the info guys!

I have been checking the various websites provided trying to decide what rack(s) to buy but couldn't find a website for Shepherd. Does anyone know if they have a website?

Thanks,

Horniac

I have a RZr and really like it. I have hauled deer and elk with mine,I just built a rack for the front as a temporary carrier.Allthough it stays on all of the time. 50 Inch wide is the way to go in Utah. Shep

Utah 50 inch trails

I live in the center of the Piute trail here in Utah. I can think of ten gates on Monroe Mtn., Four on the west mtn, Some on Thousand lakes. The Great Western trail is part 50 inch. The Arapeen trail on the Manti is 50 inch.There are 50 inch trails on the beaver Mtn, Boulder, Paunsagant. What it boils down to here is the best trails to ride are restricted to them although there are also many roads and trails you could still go on with a wider Machine. Just my opinion. Shep
yourphoto.jpg

RE: Utah 50 inch trails

Shepsrzr,

The link to your pictures doesn't appear to be working. Would love to see the pictures...

Horniac

LAST EDITED ON Jun-17-12 AT 10:02PM (MST)[p]http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/92532011-11-04_10-52-35_398_(1).jpg
292250_inch_rzr_e-mail_pictures,_6,_2012_002.jpg

Sorry, I cant seem to get the pictures on. Dont know what I am doing wrong. Shep

I have a trailer for my RZR, but the best part about the Shepherd doors is that I can load my RZR in the back of of truck, when I don't want to take a trailer, and still get out. I have a tongue pull trailer and can still take the RZR in the back of the truck. The dust used to bellow in the sides with the nets.

I guess you could haul a Can Am in the back of a truck, but it wouldn't be easy. Mine 50" one barely fits between the wheel wells.

Delmag1942,

It looks like you are settiing up your RZR very nicely.

Are those Sheperd doors in camo with an extra set next to it or what?

The back rack looks similar to the rack made by Wildbanchee and Ryfab but with a cargo net bottom? Looks like it is called a RZR-Xloader? Who makes yours?

Cannonball,

I have been towing mine on a modified Triton trailer. Are you able to close your tailgate? I have a chevy 2500 Duramax shortbead but I don't think it will fit even with my tailgate down as my RZR has the rock slider bars and the front and rear Polaris brush guards.

Also, if you add the rock slider bars you are more than 50" wide and unable to use the trails correct?

Thanks,

Horniac

Horniac, I have a 2500 GMC and have seen people use their regular tail gate, but I wouldn't trust it. I have made a special tailgate with tube steel and heavy expanded metal with heavy straps to help the factory supports. It works great for me and the RZR is flat down in the short bed with the back wheels on the tailgate. You couldn't get out very easy if you had the Pro-Armor doors, but with my doors it is easy.

You're right the RZR is to wide with the rock panels on some gates on the 50" trails, but not all.

Horniac,

Did you get the email I forwarded you?

The other doors just highlight the material choices.

The back rack on Sheperd's is the Wildbanchee one.

I hauled my full size ranger in my superduty for two years sitting on the tailgate and never had any problems, put it in my buddies 2500Chev once and it broke the tailgate hinge! Still would do something other than the tailgate though!

Cannonball,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I wouldn't trust the rear tailgate on the Chevy either. They have had problems with the cable supports and I have seen them snap. Sounds like you have a good solution to the problem. I was thinking a guy could I get some full length steel channels that cantilever onto the tailgate to support the rear wheels to park the RZR on. That would take the majority of the weight off the tailgate.

You indicated in an earlier post that the Ryfab rear rack was built better than the Wildbanshee. Can you shed anymore light on this as It is hard to tell from their websites as they both look almost identical? The Ryfab is $32 cheaper as well.

Delmag1942,

I got your e-mail thank you very much! The doors look nice but I am not sure I need them unless they really cut down on dust or something. My cousin has a Rhino with the stock doors and they are kind of a pain to get in and out. I just leave the mesh door panel open on my RZR. I am also wondering if they would trap engine heat in spring and summer and limit cross ventilation. They would probably work well to hold more heat in the winter though. Are they easily removable? I am interested in the front rack though I might add that and then a back rack!

Thanks,

Horniac

Horniac,

Sit tight on the back rack. Just ordered the Wildbanchee one. I am kind of in a hurry and get my hands on one(Ryfab or WB). I will evaluate it when it arrives and advise.

Call ##### Sheperd on the doors, he could answer any questions you might have.

I would like to figure out how to post my pictures but have not been able to yet. I also haul my RZR in the back oof my truck and pull my 24 ft. trailer behind. I did mine before cannonball did so kind of helped him. I have built a rack that allows me to put my RZR up on the toolbox with the front wheels on it, Then. built a tailgate from angle iron that supports the rear tires. I hual my Razor with either the stock wheels at 50 inchs or my aftermarket wheels whitch put my width at 58 inches on the rear and 53 inchs on the front with no problem. Back to the rack, I like the wildbanchee rack i have better than the ryfab one but I have had to repair it a couple of times. It has broken at the top mount both times. I really reinforced it this time. My doors do keep a lot of dust out and I dont think they make it any hotter in the cab. Shep

About the rock sliders . If you get the ones that come out from the bottom and dont go up the side . They are 50 " , Its hard to see in my picture because of the snow.

Delmag1942,

I will wait to hear back from you on the back racks...

Thanks,

Horniac

Ryfab changed their rack and increased the storage space. I suggest checking them both out before buying. I have no connection with either, but when having Ryfab powder coat an upper box for me they told me that they had several customers bring in the competitors for re-welding and re-powder coating. I'm surmising that is how they got into the rack business.

I might mention that I had to beef up my tail-gate. I wanted a light weight tailgate only to find out that it would bow in the middle and had to add a thick wall 1" square pipe. 60 to 70 percent of the weight is on the back wheels and loaded those beasts are heavy.

A friend of mine, who purchased a Can Am, bent the heck out of a borrowed ATV ramp. RZR's are 300 to 400 lbs lighter, but they still weight a lot.

That is the setup I have in my truck to haul my razor. I tryed to puthttp://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/8054sheps_rzr,_(2).jpg
more pictures in but am not haveing much success. Shep

Traded an 06 Polaris Ranger for the Commander 800R in January....best move I've ever done. The Commander has more power and better gas mileage than any of the current Ranger models. It is very comfortable, quick response, excellent FWD option, better storage space. Headlights are very crisp and sharp with great distance. Instrument panel easy to read and the LED display was programmed by the dealer to display my name! All-terrain tires with black spoke rims took four adults thru mud and water swamps with no problems.

The Ranger was in the shop three times for rough running and mis-firing engine, was not comfortable to ride, and gas mileage was terrible.

So far....I have had absolutely no complaints with the Commander!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom