Catfishing

Idahoron

Very Active Member
I got over last week to do some catfishing. It is pretty good right now. I headed out last Thursday night and camped over since it is a 3 hour drive. At 7:00 am I decided to get ready and hit the water. Water temp was 60 at launch and only got to 62 for a high. I ran into a fisherman that told me the river was extremely low. That was not news. What was news was he said I would not be able to go very far before the water was too swift to go up. He was right, he also said do not go down stream you won't be able to come back with my boat. Now that was news I can use!!

Well I tried the hot rod pontoon in the fast water. I put a 2.6 hp gas motor on my pontoon this spring.

5-12-12FSMALL.jpg

He was right I could not make it. I got to a spot that was 1.7' deep and that was all the farther I could go. The water speed was right at 6 MPH. So I backed off and tried to go up through some islands. More shallow and fast water.

I settled down and started to pick apart the habitat. I normally do drifts but that wasn't going to work. So I targeted cover with cut bait. That worked! One thing I didn't do was pay attention to the sunlight behind be. I need to work on that.

Nyssa11.jpg

Nyssa14.jpg

I caught a lot of fish that day. I started out well with a big one, but I didn't get a picture. It was 28" and heavy. A little bit later I got lucky and landed into this pig.

Nyssa4.jpg

I can't remember a time that I got broke off so many times. I normally fish deeper water with little to no wood or rock to mess me up. I should have had 15 or 20 pound line on. They were snapping the 10 pound easy if they really tried.
I know I lost a couple fish that would have been personal best sized fish.

Speaking of Personal best I got a personal best Flathead. We got a storm and I put on my rain gear. I tucked in under a tree and waited it out. I tossed out the line into a spot just off the edge of some willows.

Nyssa9.jpg

BANG!!! I was dragging in a 27" flathead with the ultra light.

Nyssa5.jpg

That one followed up with a lot more CC's.

Nyssa12.jpg

Nyssa13.jpg

I caught 35 fish in less than 7 hours. I am stunned at that to be honest. I knew they should be hitting but wow! I ended up keeping 4 fish that were hooked too far down and were bleeding. The largest Channel was just over 30" and the Flathead was 27. I could not have asked for a better day. Ron

Congrats on the great fish Ron. Sounds like you had a geat time.

That ain't a camel toe, that's a moose knuckle!

Well done! (I've been pondering making my pontoon into a "hot rod".......appreciate the "encouragement".)

Within the shadows, go quietly.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-17-12 AT 11:44AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-17-12 AT 11:43?AM (MST)

Need to design a pontoon jet....

Ron you sure seem to have a good handle on that river.

Congrats on a great trip, and thanks for sharing. It makes me want to get out there even more.

My son has been in Texas at basic training and tech school in the Air Force. He is home for his first leave and we are dying to catch some fish. We have spent years talking about catfishing but never have gone, I think we will just head toward the snake and start casting some stinky bait.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-18-12 AT 05:01PM (MST)[p]Hey Travis, Ron is my source for expert catfishing advice!!!! That way I'll catch more than you!! Find your own expert! LOL!

Well done Ron! I how us guys can catch half of what you did! We'll post pics when we get back.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom