Cheating ?

B

BruinBreath

Who here would consider taking a Fannin ram over a Stone ram to complete your slam as cheating. I may have an opportunity to hunt Fannin this fall. I doubt I will ever come close to a grand slam but I think I would rather have the Stone ram, course I don't have an extra 15,000 to pony up. Your thoughts ?

there are alot of slams out there with fannins and californias. Shoot the fannin. It isn't cheating at all. Deep pockets shouldn't be the only road to a slam.

JB

I wouldn't use the term "cheating" but to me, a fannin is just a dirty dall. A stone is a stone and a fannin is a color phase of a dall sheep. Of course thats just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Slam shlamm! Shoot it! I'd love to have a Fannin just because they are a bit different. I think it would be surprising to know how many Fannins are used for whatever the guy needs to complete his shlamm and depending on dark hairs or the absence thereof.

There is no such thing as "cheating" in sheep hunting. Unless you try and pass off one of those Muflon's as your desert. But I'm with Buckspy, and you'll get a hard time getting anyone to really say it but a Fannin for your Stone is kind of a cheese-ball deal. My Dall is awfully "dirty" and the thought never crossed my mind.
But if you have a chance to go sheep hunting.......... GO.. and dont' worry about it. cb

According to B&C, on thin horn sheep,if it has black hairs anywhere on the body other than on the tail, it is a Stone. They don't even refer to them as Fannin anymore.

JB

not cheating to me. i say go for it

Krusty.jpg

There are only two species of sheep native to North America, the thinhorns, that include all dalls and stones, and the bighorns, that include all the deserts and rockies. There are a lot more than four subspecies. So really, a grand slam is cheating, if you want all subspecies of North American sheep:)

>According to B&C, on thin horn sheep,if it has black hairs
>anywhere on the body other than on the tail, it
>is a Stone. They don't even refer to them as
>Fannin anymore.
>
>JB

You sure? Last I checked it was the hunters option to count a fannin as a stone. I would post a picture I took of a small fannin ram if we had a photo upload option.

Fannin's are Stone's. Ain't no cheating about it. If you're coming to BC to hunt them be aware that you're not probably going to see any real big ones. That country holds real thin horned thinhorns.

>You sure? Last I checked
>it was the hunters option
>to count a fannin as
>a stone. I would
>post a picture I took
>of a small fannin ram
>if we had a photo
>upload option.

we do have a photo upload option. when you reply to a message it's in the red text between the message and your reply.

Krusty.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Dec-28-04 AT 03:13PM (MST)[p]Well, lets see if it works then. ;-)
41d1da101ecce5ea.jpg

This is a young fannin ram we ran across when I was up in the Yukon this year. According to the guide, this is a sheep with quite a bit of color in it.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-04 AT 00:58AM (MST)[p]

The so called fannin is just a "light coloured" stone's sheep.

Even in the heart of Stone's sheep country here in BC far removed from any dall's sheep ..... you can come across a light coloured sheep that would be called a fannin.

That extra 15, 000 dollars you're talking about to hunt Stone's .... you could very well still shoot a light coloured ram on that hunt ....

So in essence - you are not cheating at all.

Bluehair,

Yeah, I'm sure. That comes right out of B&C's scoring manual. For a grand slam, I guess it is the hunters choice but to enter a thin horn in B&C record book it is either ALL white and a dall or one black hair on the body and a stone.

JB

Who cares?? Gaining the respect and admiration of others shouldn't be why we hunt. Go hunt your sheep and be proud. Don't let some arrogant SOB tell you how YOU should feel about something such as a "Grand Slam". Some guys make 2" of bone on a deer's head or an extra mount in the house make them feel they are better than another. Just because someone got lucky in a draw and not pay $50,000 to hunt a desert ram shouldn't be a reason to sway your opinion. A friend of mine has 11 Dahls on his wall. That is what he enjoys hunting, so more power to him.

Go shoot a Fannin and think of us poor souls who never have and may never will.

Ok, I'm a little slow so it takes me a while to stumble onto the same page. I was thinking about what the GSC allows and you were talking about B&C. Two different things. But it would be nice to have to worry about registering a sheep with B&C.:)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom