checking in

oldoregon

Very Active Member
Well, how is everybody? It has been quite a while since I posted last. Right after Christmas I took a job in a very remote cow camp near where Oregon, Idaho, and Washington come together. It was on the Oregon side of the river, Just south of the washington line. For those of you familiar with the area it was in Horse Creek. There was no electricity in the cabin I stayed in, so obiously I was unable to check up with you all. I just quit last week, so I figured I no longer had an excuse to avoid the internet. My time at the cow camp was a rewarding, and very eye opening experience. Being alone for most of 4 months helps a person to learn alot about themselves, and it really caused me to question my plans and goals for my life. I learned that the cowboy life is not all fun and games... It is alot more hard work than the movies show! Some days I would start riding at 6:00 in the morning, and not be back till well after dark with all the cows. I would then still have to sort them, and turn them into the proper areas (a specific area of range, or for first calf heifers into a pasture to be fed and watched closely.) Then, I had to unsaddle my horse, turn him or her loose... then feed the horses and cattle, then check the heifers closely, and if any were having problems calving, I would have to bring them in and pull the calf. Sometimes I didn't go to bed intill 1:00 or 2:00 am. Then I had to wake up and check the heifers every three hours, then wake up at 6' or 7' and do it all again. By the end of the last four months I was so ready to be done! There were definetly high points to all of it though. Being outside all day every day, I really became in tune with the changing of the seasons, weather, wildlife, and especially my horses. I took two very green horses with me, and they are both now very solid dependable mounts that I would trust to take me anywhere. My mare is an especially nice horse. She is a four year old spanish mustang, and although quite small for a cowhorse, she is very tough, and has more endurance than well bred horses half again as big as her. I was amazed to find that this little girl had much more stamina than another large muscular quarter horse I also rode. Also, her feet are very tough, in fact She doesn't need shoes, which is nice, because I'm really tall and shoeing really hurts my back. People tell me all the time that she is one of the best broke horses they have ever seen! To me, that is the highest compliment I could possibly get! They say that a persons horse is a true reflection of themselves, so she makes me very, very proud!
Unfortunatly, I did not have much time for any hunting, but I did find a few sheds, one which was a fairly nice 5 point bull, with a two foot long brow tine! I'll tru to get a picture to you guys, it is pretty impressive. I also ran into a guy while I was riding, to whom I sold a Guided one-on-one trophy timberline muley buck hunt! Should be a great hunt, and this guy seems like a good hunter willing to work hard for his hunt, which will be nice. I love guiding guys who are better hunters than me, becase I can learn so much from them.
Well guys, It was nice talking to you... you probably won't hear from me for a while, because I'll be going to central Idaho in a week for about two weeks, then I'll be living in my tipi, and breaking horses for a living, so It could literally be months till I check in again.

Till next time-

GOOD LUCK WITH ALL OF YOUR ADVENTURES!
I look forward to your responses.

OO
Thanks for checking in and getting us up to date. Sounds like you learned some very valuable lessons. I'm sure you will learn more breaking horses.

Mark

(I wish this site had a spell check)

Sounds like you have sure grown up in a hurry. Your typing is even better. Way to go on the hard work.. Good luck!
buck1.gif

Later, Brandon

Hello OO
Good to hear your still kicking. Be well go well!! We will catch ya down the trail.

Rut

Women love me!! Fish shudder at the mention of my name!!
It's not the quack but the flight of the wild duck that leads the flock to destiny!!
Quack Away!!

OO!
Damn man, We have missed you kid!
You provided a lot of character around here.
You remind me of the good old days.
Don't be a stranger!
Post up some of your photos too.
Glad to see you are still around.
HH

Nice to hear from you again OO.
Keep up the good work and I look forward to more stories from the life of OldOregon!

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

O-O,

Good to see your still alive and kickin!! I was just wondering the otherday, "What ever happened to OO." Well, i guess now we all know. Sounds like you had quite the adventure. Its good to have you back around.

I second what Browtine said, your typing/spelling has improved a TON!! :)

Good luck with your next endeavor! WHile your in IDaho, go find MOosie and kick his a$$!! :)

TUFF

Great to hear from you O-O! Sound to me like you are getting a little of what every young man should experience. Good for you! It hasnt been the same without having you to pick on around here. From the sound of it, you might not be the one to pick a fight with anymore! Haahaaa... That kind of life will either break you or make you one tough sum-b!tch. Good job man!
Keep in touch with us old farts around here will ya?

watermark.php

518900089_s.gif

yotewalk.gif

Eric

Wow, sounds like a real adventure. While your getting a picture of that shed for us try to get a couple of pics of your horses also. And when you get a chance let us know how your horse breaking job is going. fatrooster.

Good to hear from you again. You are living a life that is almost gone, and if you are not a "GENUINE COWBOY" after all that, then we do not know what a cowboy really is. Good luck and stay in touch.

RELH

LAST EDITED ON May-02-06 AT 09:50PM (MST)[p]Here is the latest picture of me that I have. It was taken last november during the second elk season here in northeastern Oregon. A client took it while I was packing his 5 point bull out for him. That meat-run was one heck of a long day. 18 miles one way, and I did not get started untill bout 8:00 in the morning. Then, I had bad directions to the elk, and it took a long time to get to it. On the way back the buckskin mare there kept pulling back and pulling the leadrope out of my hand, so the return trip was really slow. Needless to say, I got back way after dark. There was a silver lining though because they guy gave me a $200 tip!
scan.jpg

O-O!!!

SOUNDS LIKE YOU EARNED YOUR TIP!!!

ANY PICTURES OF THE BLONDE???

HAS THE BLONDE AGREED TO THE TEE-PEE???

THE ONLY bobcat WONDERING???

Sorry to dissapoint you bobcat, but the blonde is no longer an item. She has a boyfriend now, I should have asked her for a date while she was still available. I guess the saying "Good things come to those who wait" is not true when it comes to the ladies.

Good to hear from you O-O. Sounds like a great 4 months in the hills.

Drum

Glad to see your back in one piece and still kicking. Sure have missed the banter between you and the rest. Keep the pics coming in and let us know where your camping out you may get visitors.
Driftersifter

LAST EDITED ON May-03-06 AT 09:27PM (MST)[p]Here is another picture for you guys to take a look at. The guy in the picture is me, and if you look closely, there are 3 5-point bulls, and 1 6-point bull in the string. This was when we were packing one of out drop camps out of the snake river unit. The six point is the very last horse in my string, so you can't see it to well, and one of the 5 points is out of the edge, but it is still an allright picture. The clients are on foot at the top of the switchback there.
Jordan001.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom