Clean your rifle or keep it dirty???

TennVol

I have always cleaned my hunting rifles as soon as I return home from the range. But, on my next trip to the range, the first shot is never close to the same point of impact as the last shot from the previous trip. It has been as much as three inches off where it should be. I know part of the answer is the last shot from the previous trip was from a warm barrel and the 1st shot of the next trip is from a cold barrel. I also know part of it is from the fouling that accumulated during the previous trip and the next trip is from a clean barrel.

All of my final scope adjustments were predicated on the last string I fired from a warm & ?dirty? barrel. On the next trip to the range (or to the field when hunting), I can't do anything about the warm vs. cold barrel, but I can do something about the ?dirty? barrel.

My hunting partners and I were trying to figure out what is the best course of action. The way we see it, we have three options:
1) Leaving the gun barrel dirty from the last range session to minimize the change in point of impact from a dirty vs. clean barrel,
2) Clean it like normal and take our chances when firing the 1st shot while hunting, or
3) Fire a fouling shot the day prior to leaving for our hunt.

If we were only taking shots under 100 yards, it really wouldn't be a problem, but we have killed deer and elk out to 300+ yards using a solid rest. If you assume the first shot from a clean/cold barrel could be as much as three inches off where you expect it to be, that translates into as much as nine inches off at 300 yards, and that is unacceptable.

My rifle is a synthetic stocked, stainless steel barrel .300 WSM. I store it in a location with almost no humidity, so rust isn't going to come into play with leaving the barrel dirty. I always wipe down the exterior and lube the bolt and chamber.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

MSgt, USAF
1984 to present

My rifles get sighted in and cleaned at the end of the season. If you take your time when shooting you can minimize the effects of a 'warm' barrel. You should be able to get 2-3 shots in with out heat affecting much of anything.

Your rifles aren't going to rust away if you don't clean them immeidatly after you get back from the range. Most of my rifles get cleaned once a year or ever 40-60 rounds. I think way to many people worry far to much about keeping thier barrel spotless.

Most guns will not shoot to the same point of impact with a clean barrel as a fouled one. I would also recommend that if shooting under different climate conditions or altitude you check your zero when arriving at your desination especially if you fly commercial baggage guys love to throw guns around and make sure you insure your gun if flying. That way it will get there for you! If you shoot a fouling shot (if needed) and then 2-3 shots when you get there to check zero you're all set and you should be good to go. Like Bambistew said your rifles won't rust away but then again I wouldn't go out there with a gun that has 40 shots through it either unless you know with your gun it doesn't make a difference. If you use store bought ammunition make sure you buy them from the same lot to help insure accuracy they normally have a lot number on the box. Couple this with what he said and you should be good to go. Good luck and I hope you have a great hunt.

I only clean and oil mine during the season if they get real wet, otherwise its clean em in January and start shooting in August.

68hi7ls.gif

I fire a fouling shot after a clean barrel. My rifle doesn't care, but I do it anyway. If I had a rifle that was as erratic as to 3 inches off, and I am assuming 100 yards, SELL IT. mtmuley

I sight my gun in, then clean it really eally well when it needs it. if its the last time i am going shooting befor ei go hunting, i leave it how it is. i always shoot with a fouled barrel, atleast 2 shots.
Casey

I always thought my gun needed 2 fouling shots but last time I shot with a clean barrel I took extra effort at getting the oil out of the barrel and shot a 3/4 inch group with the first 5 shots.

Keep them pretty much dirty. Even after cleaning I will always shoot several rounds before taking them hunting. I usually will have 50 rounds shot before cleaning. I do leave them clean and oiled if I am not going to be shooting them for a long time.

After reading some of these posts, I realized I forgot to run a dry patch through my barrel before firing my first shot the last time I went to the range. I'm sure the combination of a clean/cold barrel coupled with residual CLP in the barrel probably threw my first shot off.

I guess it's back to the range to see how it does with a cold/dirty/CLP-free barrel!

MSgt, USAF
1984 to present

i tested my barrel a number of times . it shoots in the same group with a clean barrel . this is a new last year rifle. my old m77 would shoot the first shot a flyer then settle down to an average group. i never let my barrel get very warm when practicing though

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom