CO Draw Question - OTC Elk Tag as Second Choice?

Joe2Kool

Very Active Member
Was planning to burn 5 elk points on a 1R tag, but a family commitment has forced us to a 2R or 3R OTC. Is it possible to put an OTC tag as a second choice on the application? Any reason not to?

Yea, I know, OTC can be bought OTC, but with my luck, the license printer at Wal Mart will be out of paper, or the manager is an anti and doesn't sell hunting licenses.

Another good point Tx58.

Although you guys have convinced me to just wait, I'll go back to the original question. Suppose I wanted to be stupid :LOL: and take the chance on an OTC tag 6 months in advance, and make a loan to the CO CPW, can I list an OTC tag as a second choice?

Another good point Tx58.

Although you guys have convinced me to just wait, I'll go back to the original question. Suppose I wanted to be stupid :LOL: and take the chance on an OTC tag 6 months in advance, and make a loan to the CO CPW, can I list an OTC tag as a second choice?

Yes, and at this point I feel that you should.

Another good point Tx58.

No. You need a hunt code. As soon as Leslie Knope figures out how to charge you for it, she’ll let you.

I seem to remember them giving you an option to buy an OTC tag, if unsuccessful with your draw choices. I don't know if they still offer that option, but I imagine they still do. Also, if I am not mistaken, you can buy your OTC licenses online once OTC licenses become available (maybe in August??). IF that is correct, I believe they give you the option of them mailing your tag to your home (usually arrives within a week or so) or picking it up at a vendor or DOW office in Colorado once you cross the border.

Rest easy. If you want to buy an OTC license, the state of Colorado will make certain that happens.

An option to buy OTC is quite different than putting it as a second choice, which you can’t do. When you draw a second choice tag you also get a preference point.

Thanks for all the info. Sounds like OTC really means OTC! :) :)
I'll probably buy it 1-2 months before the season starts and have it mailed to me. I've had bad experiences buying OTC tags truly OTC.
Once, after a 20+ hour drive, the license printing paper had run out, so 2 hours to the next Kwikee Mart.
Once the person who knew how to run the machine had called in sick.
And once the Wildlife Office was closed due to a state holiday. Phone calls were forwarded to a local 4H with an automated voicemail wanting me to bid on used fishing equipment.

Trust me! I can't make this stuff up!

Thanks again!

That’s why when I have done an OTC hunt in Colorado in the past, I stop at the first Wallyworld I pass after entering CO and buy my license.

They should go on sale online first part of August

Pretty sure if you have a bass pro/cabelas, you can purchase the license in there as well in your home state. Driving that far without a tag in hand would make me nervous!

Was planning to burn 5 elk points on a 1R tag, but a family commitment has forced us to a 2R or 3R OTC. Is it possible to put an OTC tag as a second choice on the application? Any reason not to?

Yea, I know, OTC can be bought OTC, but with my luck, the license printer at Wal Mart will be out of paper, or the manager is an anti and doesn't sell hunting licenses.
No go, Joe. OTC is OTC. The draw system won't allow you to submit an OTC selection. Why not just purchase another Preference Point through the draw and hunt 2R or 3R OTC?

Yep. That's the plan. 3R OTC and burn points next year.

I've been convinced to wait until closer to the season to buy the tag.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom