CO unit 62 cell coverage and water fillup locations

I

ilbowhunter2

Hello all,

I think I've decided to join the other 2200 bowhunters and hunt unit 62 this fall. Normally, I prefer backpack wildnerness type hunts, but my dad will be with this year and this area seems like it has easier access with more roads and plateaus.

I'm wondering if you could help answer a couple questions that the forest service couldn't help me with.

Do you know what kind of cell phone coverage there is near the divide road and its off shoots with Verizon? I have a SPOT satellite messenger but would hate to renew it if I'll have cell coverage from most or all of the plateau elevation in the unit. I understand I probably won't have coverage in the bottoms of the canyons.

Next, I'm trying to understand if there are any campgrounds that have water. I can filter creek water, but if I don't have to that would be handy. I asked the forest service gal about Columbine campground and she said she didn't know for sure if you can get water there.

I've got a couple road access questions if anyone wouldn't mind shooting me a pm that is familiar with the southern portion of the unit.

Thanks,
Kyle

You should be ok up on top in the opening with Verizon as I could use my cell last year down below in the flats in 70 if no trees or mountains close by.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Verizon is sporadic on the Unc. Some places will work, many others don't.

Bring your water filter.

My Verizon phone has service most times on that side of the Plateau. Texts work great, actual calls not as good but usually doable...

I have noticed that my "hotspots" for cell coverage up there change from year to year slightly.

Thanks for the great info guys. I think I'll save the money on the SPOT renewal this year and use my cell if/when it works.

Only 5 more weeks to wait to learn a new unit!

Hopefully, I have some pictures to post of a bull after the hunt.

Best of luck to you all.

My buddy and I hunted in the north half of 62. I have US Cellular and he had Verizon. There was places the phones worked good from and places where there was no signal. After awhile if you check your phone often, you will learn where you gotta be to call home. Good luck!! But most of all have fun!

I Bow hunted unit 61 last year(unsuccessfull) and had issues with cell coverage on my AT&T phone. I burned 17 NR points and wished I sprung for a Sat Phone and hunted deeper and harder.

They have plenty of elk and deer (saw a couple of beauties at long range)and should have pushed the limits a bit. Hunting alone and with no back up I was unwilling to Bivy or spike out without a signal on my phone to call for a packer or for help if injured. A friend from New Mexico (Verizon user) assisted me the last 4 days. I think he had better luck with his provider.

I found clean water at any of the camp grounds on the Devide Rd.

Get your maps ahead of time - the forest service had few if any that I wanted. They also could not or would not provide the name of a permitted packer that everyone else seemed to know. Not much help. If you are a resident.... PM R270 he seems know both 61 & 62 well. He might help another resedent. Was unwilling to help me but took the time to tell me "Hell No". PM me if I can assist you in any way.
La Griz

Last time I heard r270 was in a battle trying to beat some form of cancer. He was taking treatments and said he was sorry but that he does not get in here much...... totally understandable. He might not answer any PMs for awhile........

Dominguez Outfitters offers "pack out services" and their # is posted at the North end of Divide Road just off of Hwy 141... If you are looking for that sort of service? He is a real nice guy and his name is Austin. If you can't find him on the Internet, feel free to contact me for his info.

I have been in that area each of the last 11 years and the cell service has got progressively better. Group of us go, and the Verizon users seem to get "more" service than the AT&T guys.

Good luck!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom