Colorado 3/301 3rd season

woody622

Though i don't have the 'tag in hand' I put in for this unit with well enough points to draw and just trying to plan ahead.

I will have the 3rd season rifle deer tag and would love some input. I put in for this unit because I will be bringing my 7 year old daughter and wanted her to have a good first big game hunt experience seeing a lot of animals, i know there aren't a lot of monsters but it was mainly just to get her out to see some bucks!

I'm trying to debate if its worth finding a landowner to pay a trespass fee or fight the public land with the deer and elk hunters? Does anybody have any recommendations or input? Hunting private intrigues me mainly because there won't a lot of other people and from coming out of state will have a spot on the map to hunt, so if anyone has any details or past ranches they've hunted i'd love some insight there.. i also have absolutely no problem hunting public, just trying to get a feel what our best option would be! Thanks in advanced guys!

I hunted a unit that borders 3/301. We camped in Maybell and got to see probably nearly 30 bucks that hunters had shot in 3/301 on public land. The biggest buck that I saw that was taken in that unit was a 130-140 class 4x4. Lots of small 3 points and 2 points and a few spikes. If I remember right, it takes non-residents 1 point to draw that tag, so if you have more points I'd look elsewhere if a big buck is what you're looking for. I did however speak to a local who had permission to hunt on private who reports seeing some very respectable bucks

Awesome advice thanks shootem! I'm pretty sure that is what I'm leaning to do. I've reached out to a few landowners but a lot are booked so I'll keep searching!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-18-19 AT 05:40PM (MST)[p]There are no Big Bucks in 3/301. So easy a girl can do it. Right outside Maybell public land.

IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_4896.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Apr-18-19 AT 11:05PM (MST)[p]>LAST EDITED ON Apr-18-19
>AT 05:40?PM (MST)

>
>There are no Big Bucks in
>3/301. So easy a girl
>can do it. Right outside
>Maybell public land.
>
>
IMG_0976.jpg

>
>
IMG_4896.jpg

Now you have done it!! Everybody and their dog and girl that draw that tag are hunting right outside of Maybell public land! Enjoy the company. Lol :D

>Those 2 bucks to me look
>very similar. They were taken
>2017 and 2018.
>

Interesting. Hope she finds the next in the lineage. I lived in Craig for several years and that area of NW CO can produce some very nice bucks even with the heavy pressure. Those two bucks are the exception and not the rule in 3/301. Very well done!

Hi Woody622, I hunted them units for years for elk an deer. We hunted both private and public. We hunted off of road 5 an 7 out of Craig NW of town about 25 miles out or so. Use to be lots of deer in that country. If you want to hunt private land, call the Earls family, Davis family or the Steele family they all have property out there an are good people. We use to pay a trespass fee to hunt there land. If you go this year I would buy a Elk tag to !

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom