Colorado 44 2nd season

Duckbutt

Hey guys…guess I’m gonna be that guy. I looked at the points, did my homework, and put in for Colorado 44 2nd season. All I know about the unit is what my dad learned back in 2011 when he drew 3rd season. I’m hoping to get a little insight as to what to expect as far as caliber of deer (I’m hoping for something 180) but I understand that without weather that could be a bit of pipe dream. I’m used to backpacking in and hunting out of my pack. I just need some help on what to expect and what I might be up against that time of year on the unit.

You never know that time of the year what the weather and snow tosses at you. All you can do is hope for the best and work your tail off trying to find a nice buck.

Last time I hunted 44 second season was 2019 when my son drew the tag with nine nonresident points. How many points will it take this year?

I agree with Founder on this. Hold out for a mature 180+, or eat the tag. My opinion on the special draw units that take lots of years to get a tag are to work hard, enjoy the hunt, and no matter what, don't settle. There are some amazing bucks in 44, and they're not only killed in the late seasons.
Good luck!

The OP must be a resident. Last year D-M-044-O2-R took 16pts for NR, 2 out of 7 with 16 drew. He said he has more than enough points with 15, so safe to assume he is a resident? Only takes 5 or 6 for a RES to draw that tag. If he is a nonresident he will likely not draw.

Last year it was a 65/35 hunt code with only 18 of the 22 available NR tags being taken. This year at 75/25 there will only be 16 tags for NRs so itll likely be a 17/18point draw for an NR.

Last edited:
The OP must be a resident. Last year D-M-044-O2-R took 16pts for NR, 2 out of 7 with 16 drew. He said he has more than enough points with 15, so safe to assume he is a resident? Only takes 5 or 6 for a RES to draw that tag. If he is a nonresident he will likely not draw.

Last year it was a 65/35 hunt code with only 18 of the 22 available NR tags being taken. This year at 75/25 there will only be 16 tags for NRs so itll likely be a 17/18point draw for an NR
Good Information
You’ve done your homework

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom