Colorado Deer

crazyelk

Went out this last weekend to Colorado for Kiko Jr's hunt in Colorado.

We thought were in store for a very frigid hunt. Instead by the afternoons, were could have hunted in T-shirts. The little snow that fell on Thursday turned into some pretty good mud. On Saturday morning even though he had a bull tag, Kiko decided he wanted to focus on hunting deer and passed on a 4x3 buck that would have been a good second deer for him. I could not believe he did not shoot. He thought it was a fork or smaller. I guess we were not on the same page on what kind of deer he wanted. As the hunt got harder with tons of hunters and above normal daytime temperatures, he regretted very much passing on the buck. After that he would have taken a fork in a heart beat. Other hunters took some nice deer out there which made the situation harder.

Finally on Sunday evening we hunted with a great friend and he was able to put us on this 5x5 buck on private land. Even though we were on private, it was still a hunt. The deer here get hunted often and do not tolerate hunters dressed like pumpkins to get close. If this hunt was on the PlayStation Deer Hunter Game, it would of qualified at about level 3 (level 5 being the hardest). We had to play the wind and belly crawl about 300 yards. Kiko was able to take it with one good shot from the .300 Short Action Ultr Mag. at 204 yards. He had to take the shot from a very crooked fence post that he used as a rest while on his toes to clear some high grass.

Santiago has been promised to be able to hunt in Colorado in the future. Even though Santiago will be taking hunter Ed. this coming weekend, he will have to wait until he is 12 to hunt Colorado. Santiago can't wait.

Thanks goes out to Lynn (Monkey Boy) for going out with us this weekend (the boys really enjoyed your company), to James for showing us some deer, to Roberto and Josebee for having a Modelo and knives ready when we got home, and to my hunting buddies Santiago and Francisco Jr. for making their daddy proud and sharing some great time in the field with me.

4af2658e051763a0.jpg

Santiago, Kiko Jr and Lynn (Monkey Boy)

4af2662007234576.jpg

After a long hike...time to shed some layers...sweating!

4af266a30956488f.jpg

Big Smiles for Kiko

4af267240a95c415.jpg

More Big Smiles!!

4af2678b0bb80e66.jpg

My Boys...Man they are growing up quick!!

4af267e912fb2deb.jpg

The Cortez Boys

Awesome pics and a great buck for Kiko Jr! What a great experience for you to share with your boys. Big congrats to Kiko Jr. for sticking to it and dropping a nice deer.
-Cody

LAST EDITED ON Nov-10-09 AT 09:36PM (MST)[p]Does any one know how many points it takes to draw the fourth rife deer hunt in Colorado, units 80 and 81?

Kiko, I think it will take three or four points to draw that hunt. Be patient son, I'll take you back to Colorado again sooner or later. I know you can't wait to hunt deer there again. I can't wait too. Get to bed.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom