Colorado G5 Archery Goat Tag!

TheSaint

I drew this tag and am super pumped! Does any body have any info they wouldn't mind sharing regarding this unit/hunt?

Thanks, Blayne

DaSaint
Congrats on the tag! The area around Chicago Basin is full of goats. Its at the head of Needle Creek, surrounded by 3 14ers. Its amazing country. Easiest access is via the Durango-Silverton narrow gauge railroad. The train makes a stop in Needleton and you get off there. Then its across the river then a roughly 6 mile hike. Fairly easy hike in to start then it gets a bit steeper. By the time you reach the basin its fairly flat and very open. Lots of good camping and plenty of water sources. You?ll see goats from anywhere in the basin. Not sure if there are any hunting restrictions now but the goats are dumb... at least the nannies. Billies will probably be grouped up and take a little more looking to find but anytime we've been in there its never been difficult. Bow will make it a bit more challenging but very possible.

Thanks for the info. I'll take a scouting trip sometime this summer and check it out. I was in Montrose today and there looks to be a ton of snow in the high country.

Your welcome. Yeah more than normal snow pack it looks like, its going to be later than usual getting in there. I'd wait till late June at the earliest otherwise you'll have a lot of snowfields to contend with.

I've always wondered about the train...so will they let you bring a gun on and then a pack full of meat on the way out?

TheSaint,

You lucky devil!
Congratulations on drawing! I don't know about the area at all but just wanted to throw out a heart-felt congrats on getting a tag. They're more valuable than gold!

Zeke

Thx for the replies. Between this Goat hunt and my archery Dall sheep hunt this year(both archery), I'm beyond excited!!!

LAST EDITED ON May-05-11 AT 11:53AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-05-11 AT 11:47?AM (MST)

You better plan on taking more than "a" scouting trip... Get familiar with the country and more importantly, get use to climbing. Trust me, I've hunted sheep, goats, elk and deer all above or at treeline in Colorado near 14ers almost every year. I drew a sheep tag in Co this year, a goat in 2009 and an early rifle deer in 2010. Hunt archery elk at or above treeline otherwise. Deer is by far the hardest (highest)! Moving around above treeline is not easy, even if you are in "good shape". Climb a few 14ers during the summer while you are at it. That will make a big difference!

You know the deal being an archery hunter... Goats are in tough places, so climb a lot!

Good luck!

congrats on the goat tag, i hope to draw that one day.
who you hunting with for dall sheep? i am archery hunting for sheep in the NWT this year with gana river. i am super excited as well.
Don

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom