Colorado Ranching For Wildlife(Antelope)

B

Bazy

I've finally accumulated enough points that I could draw a buck tag for either Rimrock Ranch or Snake River. Have any of you Colorado guys hunted either ranch and what were your opinions.

Thanks
Bazy

I have a feeling Rimrock got hammered by deep snow this year. They don't have many deer in that area to begin with but do have some whoppers if you can find them. It may be a frustrating hunt with the nonrut dates they give you?

I don't know much about Snake but the public land in that part of Colo gets hammered by hunters; however, there is private that may not get hunted as hard? There is pretty high density of deer in those units and once in a while you hear about a whopper shot on private land. You'll be competing with the doe/bull/cow hunters because their hunt dates are the same on that particular ranch.

thanks for the info but I was talking about Antelope. I completely forgot about the snow storm in the southeast.

Have you ever hunted 11 for lopes? I've seen some good bucks there but I would think Snake River being private might be better. I've waited so darn long I don't want to blow this chance. Not looking for a monster just a good representative buck.

I haven't spent any time in 11 lately but I know for a fact that 2 is really struggling. Antelope numbers (as well as tag numbers) are way down from what they were 5+ years ago. I drove through 2 several times this summer and never saw an antelope! 301 close to Craig where there is lots of large acreage subdivisions is over-run with antelope but once you get out west past them where the BLM starts it is pretty hard to find many antelope. Most of the antelope are pretty safe around the subdivisions and likely have all the food and water they want!

Thanks for the info. I'm now leaning towards area 11 public land. I was out there alot last year during secnd deer season and there were lopes everywhere with some respectable bucks. They gave out 43 buck tags last year which kind of has me worried but I can't wait the number of years required to draw something like Big Gulch RFW over in 3/301. I guess you just "Pays your mney and takes your chances".

bazy

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom