Colorado sheep draw eligibility

magnum72576

I thought I read somewhere in Eastmans or Huntin Fool that I need 3 preference points to be eligible to draw a sheep tag. However I just read the 2012 Colorado sheep and goat regs application booklet 3 times and I didn't see anything in there stating this. I currently only have 2 points. If this is true am I eligible to draw this year or do I need 3 points going into the draw which means no chance to draw unitl 2013.
Thanks Tony

You need 3 preference points just to get in the drawing. After that you accumulate weighted points and your odds increase with every weighted point. You wont have enough pp's till next year.

4afddbfa2842588e.jpg

Technically you are not required to have 3 points but due to the demand of sheep and goat tags, the way colorado points work is you need the 3 points. After your 3rd year your points are computed by a formula and the winners are selected from the results of that formula.
You could possibly draw a ewe tag with less than 3 points but not likely...
confused yet??? If not apply in 3 or 4 or all of the western states and learn every drawing process ;-)

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Actually, ewe tags are not difficult to draw. You can draw them with zero points. It's just that non-residents don't usually want to pay almost $2k for a ewe.

Actually you can draw your first choice without 3 points only if nobody else with 3 points applies.

Also if someone turns in a tag they call the next person in line so apply for the unit you want to hunt and be ready to hunt on short notcice. Colorado reissues about 20 sheep tags a year.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom