COPENHAGEN

nuts4bucks

who on here chews this stuff. I started chewing when i was 10 years old quit for about 6 years between the ages of 22 and 28 then for some stupid reason i started again. I am now 36 and have tried to stop a few more times but to no avail the addiction is strong and i am to weak i guess. I still love the taste of it. I wish i had all of the money back that ive spent on it throught the years i could buy a governers tag haha. i chew 2 cans a day at about 5 dollars a can thats 10 bucks a day times 365 =about $3650 times 20 years = about $73000 and still adding just wondering if anybody else has ever done the math to see how much thier bad habit costs them.

Yeah, two cans a day is a LOT! My addiction is probably as bad as anybody's but i've been able to cut back on the amounts that i go through by;

1) never ever take any out unless right before a meal or the little lady says so before "bed".
2) Just keep adding to what you already have in there.
3) put in smaller pinches, especially before sleeping.

These three helpful tips have my consumption down to about 1 can every two days with the exception of while fishing. While fishing for some reason, i gotta put in huge ol gobs o the stuff. Loves me Cope!!

Note; Author assumes no responsibility or liability of any kind. As always, start your charge low and work up to maximum capacity. :)

Joey

Ya i keep tryin to quit and cant seem to do it. Started at 17 and now 23. I do that kinda math all the time.

I started when I was about ten also and have chewed off and on for the last 50 years. Quit the last time three years ago but I still haven't stopped craving a chew. I have chewed about everything, cope, skoal, red seal, grizzly and different scrap tobacco. Fifty years ago scrap tobacco was more popular than snuff but that has changed over the years.

One thing I found that helped in quitting was the nicotine patches that smokers use to quit. Still takes about a month for the physical addiction to go away. I don't think the mental craving ever goes away.

$5 a can, I think it's still about $3.50 around here. But we do volume business, I think Wyoming and West Virginia run one and two on smokeless tobacco use per capita. I know a lot of people that do chew the off brands because they are cheaper.

But guys you need to quit, the health part of this is a lot bigger issue than the money.

Started at 11, now 47.
1 can last about 2 days. How come everything a guy likes is bad for you.
Copenhagen Snuff hence the handle Snuffy.

Can't say I ever chewed but I began smoking when I was 12 and at 37 I finally had enough. By age 25 I was smoking 2 packs a day, by 30 I was up to 3 and at 37 nearly 4 pack. Like sage when I fished I would use even more and actually smoked over 5 packs a day when fishing. The control them stupid little white sticks had over me was crazy. I finally went and got a script of chantix and within 9 days put the smokes down and haven't had one since. I'm 40 now and still have the desire and love the smell of a marlboro periodically and I can't expess enough how glad I am that I quite tobacco and much heathier I feel. BTW since then I have been able to purchase a fly out walleye fishing trip and a couple of new rifles plus all the garb to go with it. I pays..............

I started Copenhagen at 15 and chewed until I was 34. I tried to quit numerous times and could never stick with it. As others have said the addiction was too strong. One day when driving with my 5 year old son he saw the can sitting on the console and said that he couldn't wait to grow up and try it. I quit cold turkey that day and never looked back. I still crave it to this day, but now I have 2 sons and don't want them to ever see me chewing. They are the only reason that I don't go back to it.

You think that's expensive, wait til you start paying for your cancer treatments. At least you will have a really cool ring in your back pocket to remind you of all the "good times."

Traditional >>>------->

18-37 and still chewing. I only take it out to eat and sleep. Watched both of my kids being born with a dip in. I only quit for boot camp successfully. Tried quitting last year until the wife made me start again. She said something about azzhole and leaving me. I'd like to quit, but damn it's hard.

I started smoking when I was 16, chewing in class. Quit em both when I got married but have started chewing again. I go through a can about every 4-5 days (I know its not much) but its almost $7 per can in utah....

Going from snuff to pouches helped me quit, I know a lot of guys hate the pouches but it helped me.I just chew pouches now somedays I don't even put one in.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I FEEL FOR ALL YOU GUYS, FORGET THE $$$. THE CANCER WILL BE THE HAMMER......AS IT WAS FOR ONE OF MY BUDS. HE LOST MOST OF HIS TONGUE, & LIP.....AND HAD TO GRAPH A HOLE IN HIS CHEEK CLOSED......QUIT WHILE THE QUITIN IS GOOD....YD.

Spot on YD. It isn't the money, its the cancer. You'd think pics like this would be deterent enough. I to know someone who lost part of his tongue and a couple teeth. Only chewed for 13-14 years.

mouth_cancer2.jpg

I chewed Cope for about 12 years. I loved the stuff and still crave it occasionally especially when steelhead fishing. I chewed about 2 cans every 3 days and then my oldest son was born and I vowed to quit mainly so he wouldn't look up to me and try it someday but also so I would live to see his son and be able to play with both of them when it counted. He is 14 now and we are both snuff free so far so good.

Some of his friends toy with it and we always tell him the story of why I quit to lay the guilt on a bit, hope it keeps working.

It was the hardest thing I ever did to quit and if it wasn't for my kids I would still be chewing and loving it.

When I was young my dad smoked and one day I asked him to quit cuz I had heard about cancer and how bad smoking was......He quit shortly after. Never underestimate the love of your kids to help you through something.

Bill

I started smoking when I was 20 and started to work on a logging crew (when in Rome do as the Romans). I'm still hooked on them and smoke about 3/4 pack a day. More when I'm fishing of course.:) I tried chewing to kick cigaretts but hated it. Since my wife doesn't smoke I never smoke in the house or when she's in the truck.

Kali collects taxes on tobacco to pay for poor kids health care. If we all quit, who would take care of them?

I think everyone has some kind of vice that is harmful to themselves. Stress, eating, driving like an idiot, drinking, drugs, shopping, gambeling, on and on. Some are more socially acceptable than others.

Eel

EEL.....TRUE IN SOME CASES AS YOU MENTIONED.......BUT TOBACCO IS A CARCINOGEN .......CAUSES CANCER. I WATCHED MY DAD GO FROM 220 LBS. DOWN TO 140 LBS BEFORE THE CANCER TOOK HIM TOO EARLY IN HIS LIFE. TIME TO GIVE EM UP.................YD.

Thanks Eelgrass! I don't want to defend chewing because it's a nasty habit and is "potentially" bad for ones health, it says so on the can. I think any idiot knows it's a "CARCINOGEN" as witnessed by the previous post!

I do though, know that of hundreds of people that i have known who chew, nobody, NOT ONE person has developed a serious cancer let alone died from the use of this product. Furthermore, I do know of Dozens of people that have died from Smoking cigarettes. Yes, cig smoking may be the "cooler" of options between the two but it is by far the unhealthier and many times likelier to put you in a early grave.

As far as those pics posted, show some of what happens when you drive over 100mph while drunk, mess with ladies of the night in Oakland, shoot heroin with dirty needles, and for that matter, don't pay your loan shark...Post some of those and spare the good ol boys who mostly just want to left be.

Joey

Damn it Eel!

Trying to kick the Speeding Habit Ain't Easy!

We all got some kinda stupid crap we do!

But Damn man,the Mormon 500 sure can be interesting at times!

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-27-11 AT 01:32PM (MST)[p]Guys, for the love of your families, please quit smoking and chewing. Working in the health care field, I have seen first hand what tobacco and snuff can do to the health and lives of the patient and families. Please stop smoking and chewing!!

Eldorado

Guys let me share a little insight on head and neck cancer with you. In late 2005 I started having trouble swallowing my food and I had several other things going on (ear and headache) so after 5 months of ignoring it I finally went to the doc. and after several test they find I've got a tumor in my throat from the base of my tongue to my esophagus. Squamoues cell Carcinoma to be exact. I'll spare you guys the details but 6 surgerys, 16 Chemo treatments and 37 Radition treatments later I'm cancer free. I went from 268 lbs down to 163 lbs and missed 13 months of work. The reason I'm explaining all of this is because at M.D. Anderson hospital in Houston they treat paitents by the location of their cancer so I was treated with all the head and neck guys. After spending over a year in and out of the hospital I met many young and old men with cancer from dipping and chewing. I don't remember the name of the cancer that they had but there was only two outcomes each time. They would either die or after all their surgerys they were horribly disfigured.
Listen to me very clearly. Do it for the people in your life who depend on you for their future. Man up and do it. Quit that crap. Pray to God for the strength to quit.
Cancer finds enough people who never use tobacco to believe it can't find you. Hell I never smoked or dipped or chewed a day in my life but it found me. I'm glad I was the one in my family who got it and not one of my children or my wife. Good Luck to you guys and I'll say a prayer that you can find the strength to quit. Later Baker

I have also chewed Copenhagen for 15 years and finally quit for a year. I chewed probably 1 can every 2 days and sometimes more. Smokey mountain (fake chew) has helped quite a bit. It is made from corn silk and they add flavor like mint, wintergreen, and original. I still crave it every once in awhile, but when I do I get the fake stuff. I seem to just have a need to put something in my lip after a meal or when sitting down to glass a hillside. I quit because I wanted a family and thought that it would be pretty selfish to keep killing myself slowly. For the last 3 months I have been doing paramedic clinical shifts in the ER at all the local hospitals and I would honestly say that around 80% of the people that come to the ER is because tobacco and smoking related illnesses. It is sad but in reality, they did it to themselves. I still love the smell of it and would like to have one every once in awhile. My wife and I are going to have a little girl in about 10 days. I could never expect my daughter or wife to take care of me because of a decision I have made my whole life. If anyone is going to try and quit, sooner is better than later.

I've chewed for about 25 years and have tried to quit many times. Made it about a year once when my first boy was born. Made it about 6 months when my second boy was born. Rarely do it around them. They are 6 and 3 and haven't really asked what the stuff is in my lip, but it's coming soon. You guys got me thinking about quiting again. Thanks for sharing some of your stories

I've been working on my income taxes since 4:30 this morning. I just now got this efile thing figured out. YES!! I need a smoke......we'll see.:) I know you guys mean well.

Eel

Started smoking and chewing in the 6th grade, figure your about 12 then. By the time I was in 8th grade I had formed a pretty regular habit of both. Kept it up for many years. Both Skoal Long cut in the red can and Marlboro's. Went to Desert Storm/Shield when I was 27, quit chewing about a year later. Let's see, 8th grade your about 14, 28 years old in D.S/D.S, comes up to at least 14 years chewing. Pretty rough to quit but it was easier to quit chewing than smoking.
After 2 marriages and finding another nice girl to chase, I bought a newer truck in '98 and parked it in the driveway. Wouldn't drive it again until I quit smoking a couple months later. I'm 47 now, so 47 minus 13(2011-1998=13)=34-14 years old=20 years smoking and when I quit I was smokin 2-3 packs daily.
Got deployed for Enduring Freedom/Iraqi Freedom in 2003, after running from missiles for 3 days, one of the boys gave me a cigar. That was in March and by July I was smoking again. Continued smoking until 2008, another five years and then gave it up again.
First time I quit smoking, I used Zyban for about 4 months, my girlfriend then/now my wife said I was misserable to live with but she stuck it out. Gotta love her for that. 2nd time I quit, I used Chantix, after smoking for 20 years, quitting for 5 and then smoking another 5 years, Chantix was the ticket. Best thing I ever done.
Don't miss the cigarro's much but when I have a knife in my hand with blood covered up half way to my elbows gutting an elk, I still want a chew.
Boy's, if you want to give it up, please get with your doctor and get Chantix. Best thing I ever did.
Now, after that story, we won't discuss the dumbest thing I ever did, I doubt we can agree on what it was. ;-)

I misplaced my last can last night (daily occurance) After a few hours of looking, I made the 30 mile drive to town, at 12AM...Nope, I aint hooked and can quit whenever I want :)

When I started chewing in high school Skoal was 35 cents a can and when working in the woods a can would last about 3 days....I finally quit when it got to $2.50 a can 10 years ago...spent a lot of money on that stuff...you never get over the craving..still like the smell of it...but don't have any indigestion or heartburn anymore neither..

I will also echo going to your doctor and get the Chantix. I smoked for 27 years and I gave it up finally and I could only do it with Chantix. That will be 3 years ago this July 22nd. I have never looked back, it was the best thing I have ever done in my adult life and I was a hard core smoker. I understand the addition and can sympathize with it. Still to this day I love the smell of cigarettes. It does not smell bad to me at all. But I remember that little demon and it's control or hold over me and I hated it. I couldn't stand to carry them around and if I was low, it didn't matter how late it was, I went to the store! For me there was more than just the treat of cancer and the cost. It was the hold and control it had over me I hated so much. Tried to quit many times. Tried the patch, gum and you name it, nothing worked. During those times I would bum a smoke, caught myself once looking on the ground for a but and Im ashamed to say but I found one and smoked it. It just made me angry and ashamed of myself and I would start back up again. I do not hold anything against someone who smokes or chews knowing the hold and control it can have. But if you really want to quit, the best advice I can give is to give the Chantix a try. You wont regret it.

GBA

Thanks for all the post on this guys. Been chewing for the last 6 years and have been playing with the idea of giving it up the last few months. I chew about 2 cans a week and I cant remember the last time I had a nice head buzz from a dip but I do enjoy that little rush right before you put a dip in. (you guys that chew know what Im talking about) I just threw my full can into the trash after reading all of your post and made the decission to not chew the real stuff anymore. So thanks to all who posted that pushed me over the fence to do it! If I do get the cravings to have something in my lip and something to do while glassing, riding, hunting, driving, after a meal, and all of the other times us dippers usually chew I will be using the smokey mountain chew (fake stuff).

-KILLSHOT Productions Guides & Outfitters-

I asked my Dad if I could try some the hired-man was using, when I was 6 years old. The hire-man looked at me like, "hell no"! But my Dad said, "go ahead, get you a little". I reached in the can and got me a good sized pinch and stuck it in. It was in my mouth for something like 1.5 seconds. I spit, and gaged, spit and gaged, and spit some more, probably cussed a little too. Dad never said a word, just went back to hauling hay.

Some years later when the boys where passing it around behind the barn, I had no problem dealing with the peer pressure. Nope, been there, done that!

Course, I got no room to brag or boast, I got no yearnings for tobacco or the spirits (used'em all in the early years an got lucky cause they let me go easy, real easy ) but ribeyes, spuds, and any thing sweet or salty have kicked my butt and will kill me just as quick as you boys using chew. I'm a damned coward when it comes to food.

We've all got our demons! And their mean SOB's!

DC

I tried it a few times, but I thank the good Lord above that I Puked my guts out the times I did try it.

Just over 30 yrs here with Cope at around half a can per day and am in the middle of trying to quit. I'm quitting for both health and family but the money savings will be nice, not to mention the bad breath!

I also chewed over a can of Cope a day for 18+ years and I quit January 2nd of 2010. Still love the smell.

One can a day and ready to stop. This is expensive to say the least on top of that the health issue. Those who want to stop chewing and smoking maybe we should start a challenge thread?

I've quit both cigs and cope. for me the chew was ten times harder to kick.

the artist formerly known as "gemstatejake".

I started at 15 and 50 now..Still chewing! When I was younger two cans a day. Now 1 can will last 3 days...Quit once for a year and I took one dip from a guy one day and couldn't find a store fast enough to get a can....Need to quit, probably will when Im 6 feet under....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom