Cougar Stoners in Payson

As far as i'm concerned, anyone who can kill a mt lion by beating it with a rock is welcome to him. :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I'm with Sage.

Good luck trying to detain that sumbeech!!

Bill

People who work for a living are quickly being
overwhelmed by people who vote for a living.

>Oh, wrong stoned cougars...dammit!
Yea, I thought this post was about hippy chicks on pot.

Most likely hound doggers throwing rocks trying to get the cat to jump tree so they could run it again. Apparently one stone connected too well. I hope they catch the jackasses responsible.

You know what really irks me about most of you on here is that you are so callous about an animal being stoned to death. I have no problem with hunting as long as it done legally, and ethically. I have never heard that throwing rocks at a Cougar is a good way to hunt after its treed. Predators are a great aspect of the outdoors, without them you would have major in-breeding problems with in herds, diseases, over-grazing/population and way to many ungulates. Clearing all predators will be a major detriment to all hunters and outdoorsman.

Oh don't worry about the poor predators CV- with PETA and all the other groups they won't disappear. Lots of kitties in Idaho.

CV_Camera, you may have something going there. Just what are we talking about, what kind of percentage do you feel of the Mt. Lions being taken are by guys throwing rocks? Do you think that those throwing rocks have an advantage over those using common firearms? I'm with you, this indiscriminate killing of lions with rocks must stop...or at least to do so, one must first obtain a special permit and only be able to throw rocks to take lions in a special, "rocks only" season.

The last thing we hunters want is too many retarded ungulates running around.

:)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Feb-16-14 AT 07:09PM (MST)[p]CV Camera,

You should go back to golfing or smoking left handed stogies with your PETA friends. You have spent way to much time in the city drinking the anti-hunting crowds cool aid. You would not understand predator pray balance if it bit you in the a$$!!!! "Saving the ungulates from inbreeding by having more predators" You need to get out in the wild a little more dude!!! That means off the road a ways too!!

The facts of predator prey balance... In your home state Idaho CV Camera predators are out of flipping control. Coyote numbers are through the roof. My personal best day of killing coyotes in Idaho is 16. Some government trapper friends who have flown Idaho winter grounds in a helicopter have killed over a 100 in one day. Way too many dogs to say the least. Mountain lions are out of control in a lot of areas in Idaho. An area around Pocatello that had a quota of around 15 cats for years recently opened the area to unlimited because the public said we had to many cats. The first year the hunters killed 115 or so cats. The next year they killed more... There is still to many cats. I will not even go into how many wolves Idaho has. So CV Camera, that is why your statements on predator prey balance make you look as if you don't get out of boise much!!!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-16-14 AT 11:40PM (MST)[p]First off if you have seen any of my posts, you would know I am from Cache Valley, Utah and live in Hyde Park. I used to hunt, fish, camp all over Utah and have never ever felt that any of the ungulates were in detrimental circumstances because of coyotes, wolves, mt lions, bears or any other predator.

ALso, WOLFHUNTER get your facts right. Since when does it say on here UNLIMITED. Ur full of it.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/hunt/?getPage=159

This is from the Idaho Fish and Game Website, it has the QUOTA and # taken. Not nearly as much as you say and there are no unlimited hunts. I do my research, I am not some city idiot who sits by and just listens to what others say.

Also if you open the PDF on the Idaho Fish and Game on the link above, you will see that there are no UNLIMITED Mt Lion Hunting areas anywhere in Idaho.

I guess I must of had you confused with another stoner on here.

The unlimited mountain lion was some years back. Idaho knows what the right thing is to do with predators, but they often get wishy washy for fear of frivolous lawsuits. Kind of like pulling the trapper out of the Idaho wilderness because he was killing to many wolves...

Well first off the guy was not killing to many wolves, he was after a certain pack. And he got the pack and was brought back. What they are doing is not an over-all extermination, because even they know that wolves are essential. They are just going out and doing what they can to make it seem like they are giving in to all the ranchers, farmers and cry-baby hunters.

I've been trying to kill a mountain lion with a rock for over 50 years. So far I haven't been able to seal the deal. One of these days!

Eel

elkun, the closest I ever came was in 1988 on a hound hunt in Idaho. We treed a good Tom about 40' up a fir tree. I only packed in 5 rocks (about 4 lbs. each). There were too many limbs in the way so I never even got one hit before I lost all the rocks in the steep brushy country. Plus, I needed Tommy John surgery after I got home.

Eel

RE: Cougar Stoners, in Payson

Eelgrass, i've learned a thing or two from a couple dudes that only rock hunt them big cats, i can share this bit of info according to them...

Instead of selecting and carrying 5 four pound rocks, try 10 two pound rocks. If one of them two pounders placed right, that's always key right there, then It's all about the feet per second and BC of the projectile, plenty enough down range energy and the extra rocks might come handy if you get a wounded animal and need to track him up.

I heard that Nolan Ryan was a rock throwin, Bobcat getting SOB in his day! It's said that he went three fer four on cats out to 100 yds or a bit over...but then i hear he had his share of no hitter days too. :)

Joey

Joey, what you said makes perfect sense, so yesterday afternoon I found a 2 pound rock and a 4 pound rock.

I set up the chronograph in the back yard.

I got a muzzle velocity of 36'/sec with the 2 pounder, and only 21'/sec with the 4 pounder.

At my age I noticed a huge difference in down range velocity, but was unable to measure it because of accuracy issue.

Any way to accurately figure rock drop at 40' between the 2 and 4 pound rocks?

I love the idea of having 10 shots instead of 5.

Eel

I am pretty sure at least here in Co that most of the Cougar Stoners hang out in Down Town Denver later in the night while others prowl the streets of Boulder.

Be very wary of these creatures boys as they have been known to take down a weary out of state hunter or two each year. They talk about giving you some "legal tonic" and next thing you know you find yourself wandering the streets of the front range w no pants on and a weird hangover. Be careful boys, be careful!

Kayak, my daughter just flew back from Denver on a business trip. She went into on of the "legal tonic shops" out of curiosity. She almost bought a $12 piece of chocolate as a souvenir but was afraid she would get busted at the airport.

Eel

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom