Coyote help

Randy11

my favorite muley honey hole is really starting to get too many yotes in it. the biggest problem is the area is closed to the public from november-may 15.
i have some experience calling in dogs but have never done it besides in winter. what i want to know is there any time that this unit is open that the dogs will respond good to calls? id like to try and thin them out this spring/summer a little bit.
thanks

set up traps if you want to thin the heard. probably the best way to thin the heard in my opinion but im sure someone on here has better advice

LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-08 AT 08:52PM (MST)[p]Not often talked about but very effective, is called denning, it is used often by adc workers, and is specific to a certain group of dogs, as they are very territorial during denning season, in late may locate denning site's set traps or sit and wait, it's not pretty taking out the whole family...but effective.the f&g used to issue gas to adc trappers and ranchers, see if you can get some. do it when they are in the den, cover all hole's light the fuse to the gas,throw it in and stand by with a shot gun, sometimes they make a break for it. I don't know if this is still leagal or if u can even get the gas sticks still. I used to do this for ranchers and for a few summers on ground pheasnts forever leased.

May 16th go coyote calling with a pup distress and when they come in shoot the hell out of them........
4781a20d069cc615.jpg

When the fawns drop, both deer and antelope there are always dogs nearby if ya watch close. Line em up and bang!!

Utahelk 1 said it best. The fawns won't hit the ground just yet and the yotes will dang sure be wanting to eat...Any coyote you do get , will for certain help the fawn crop though , sounds like your planning well.

thanks for the input guys. im usually in the area right when it opens in spring so ill have to pick up a pup distress call and give it a try.
september and october dont really work for me hunting dogs because thats when im hunting the deer in the area. i usually get a few dogs every year while deer hunting but dont really wanna hunt coyotes when i could be chasing deer.
thanks again for the suggestions.

A fawn in distress call works well sometimes in late May/June. If you are just thinning them, who cares about the fur?

I'm just the opposite. I'd rather be hunting coyotes than deer. In fact when I went deer hunting this year. I'd glass an area for deer and if I didn't see anything, I'd call for coyotes. It works for calling in deer too. In fact I had several deer almost run me over a few weeks ago when I was calling.

I like to hunt the early spring before the elk and deer are having there young the yotes are hungry. I kill a lot of coyotes in the spring. Then after the dogs have there pups the pups like to give away the den location. Listen for a den then set up close you can often call in the adults and the pups. Good luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom