cutting off a bull mid bugle

mountainmac1

Last year I tried a new strategy while guiding a guy up on the wasatch. Every time a bull would start to bugle I would bugle back quickly during the middle of his bugle not letting him finish. This seemed to make the bulls upset, not letting them let out an entire bugle and they came in hard. It seemed to be very effective. Has anyone else tried this before?

many times we have done this. we started doing it about 5 years ago in the high uintahs. had a bull bugling at us for 30minutes really aggresively. but wouldn't come any closer. we didn't dare cross the big park (about 200 yards across)in fear of him/them seeing us and spooking. so we thought what the hell let's try something new. it pissed him off big time. with in 3 minutes he came charging across the meadow, & my buddy made a 43 yard shot on the 5x6 bull. rest is history and if cow calling doesnt work, we try the cuttoff bugle.

"muttman"

Depends on if the bull is aggressive and ready to go. I've done it and they walk away if they aren't ready yet or maybe just got their butt kicked. I've done it like you did and they get all fired up. It definately should be a trick in your bag though.

HK

Ditto.

If the bull is agressive (roaring bugles with grunts, raking, etc...), get in as close as possible and let him have it mid-bugle. Really ticks them off.

Seems to make pretty good sense. Nothing ticks me off more than another dude cutting me off mid sentence. We all know people like this.

That's the main concept of the tactic we use all season long. Even in early season when the elk aren't fired up, it'll get them fired up fast!

Our basic tactic is to get as close to the bull as we can (100-150 yards) without them knowing we're coming and get set-up. Then we cow call...as soon as the bull responds, we cut him off with an aggressive challenge bugle. We repeat as necessary, but it has been very effective for getting bulls in close for many years.

Corey

I have had the exact same experience. They seem to become much more aggressive and stop thinking about if its a human on the other end of the bugle they just heard, and their natural instincts kick in.

Corey, Have you guys found your bull up on the Wasatch? I found mine, and he is a slugger!

>I have had the exact same
>experience. They seem to become
>much more aggressive and stop
>thinking about if its a
>human on the other end
>of the bugle they just
>heard, and their natural instincts
>kick in.
>
>Corey, Have you guys found your
>bull up on the Wasatch?
>I found mine, and he
>is a slugger!

Seriously!!!!!!....You think that an elk is capable of "thinking" that a human is blowing an elk call?

Your "mid bugle" tactic is effective on elk, moose and coyotes. Not a secret, just a tactic.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom