CWMU question

jarheadhunter

I was watching an episode of Steve's Outdoor Adventures the other night. Why IDK probably just because it was on a Utah CWMU. Anyways my question is while hunting on a CWMU Steve was using a muzzle loader and had a Burris Eliminator scope on it. Is it legal to use a high power scope on a CWMU using a muzzle loader?

I would think the law is the law and you can only use a 1x scope. Then at the end of the show they even say you have to use iron sights or a 1x scope?

I am guessing it's ok for him because he is special.

CWMUs don't have specific seasons for muzzleoaders and rifles..you can use what you want i.e. rifle hunt in September.

Yes this I know. I am asking if it is legal for him to use a Burris Eliminator scope on a muzzleloader?

The scope is a 4-12x42

I thought you can only use a 1x scope on a muzzleloader.

You can only use a 1x scope on a muzzleloader during muzzleloader season.

But you can use a muzzleloader at other times, like during the rifle hunt for example on a CWMU and then you aren't limited to just 1x.

sled_guy

I am confused on this as well. I have seen a couple of mountain goat hunts that were not muzzle-loader only hunts, and both of them were using 1x scopes. Maybe it is a private land thing.

Its not a private land thing...OIL tags like the mtn.goat hunt your talking about are any weapon tags. You could use a cross bow if ya want or a pistol. It's up to the tag holder....Same goes for CWMU any weapon hunts!!!

We had this issue with a guy that had the Statewide Bison tag, its listed as any legal weapon. A Conservation Officer stated that a muzzleloader with a variable power scope is NOT considered a LEGAL weapon in UTAH. You can only have a 1X scope, during any legal weapon hunt in UTAH. Our Client had to use a different muzzleloader than his own, with a 1x scope! A Crossbow is also not a legal weapon in Utah. Unless approved for a person with a handicap.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-12 AT 01:44AM (MST)[p]As Lsorenso said,

Muzzleloaders
Utah Code ? 23-20-3 and Utah Admin. Rule R657-5-10

Muzzleloaders may be used during any big
game hunt?except the archery hunt. To hunt
big game with a muzzleloader, your muzzleloader
must meet all of the following requirements:

? It can be loaded only from the muzzle.
? It must have open sights, peep sights or a
fixed non-magnifying 1x scope.
? It can have only one barrel, and the barrel
must be at least 18 inches long.
? It cannot be capable of firing more than
once without being reloaded.
? The powder and bullet?or powder, sabot
and bullet?cannot be bonded together as
one unit for loading.
? It must be loaded with black powder or a
black powder substitute. The black powder
or black power substitute cannot contain
smokeless powder, but may contain some
nitrocellulose.

Most of us here in TARDville call them Rifle Hunts!

When in Reality they are "Any Weapon Hunts"!

Don't be surprised if you see an Episode where a TARD is using a Flipper with a High Powered Scope on it!:D

Wisz was a Hell of a Sport this year even if He did tell the UDWR to F-Off during the Phone Call!:D
15" Bases?
30" 5ths?
Missing 450" Bull!
The next 4 years is Slicks Fault,again,GEEZUS!
GOOD GAWD A MIGHTY!

After doing some more reading I believe Wapitibob to be right, even on CWMUs you can't use variable power scopes on muzzies.

sled_guy

Not if it's an 'Any Weapon' Tag/Hunt/Unit you can use a Muzz with a High Power Scope if you'd like!

Wisz was a Hell of a Sport this year even if He did tell the UDWR to F-Off during the Phone Call!:D
15" Bases?
30" 5ths?
Missing 450" Bull!
The next 4 years is Slicks Fault,again,GEEZUS!
GOOD GAWD A MIGHTY!

Dang and I thought anyweapon meant I could use a full auto assualt rifle

Most of you guys have it right, being on a cwmu does not change the rules as to what is considered a legal weapon. A muzzleloader with a magnifying scope is not a legal weapon anywhere in the state of Utah (non game species excluded of course). I asked Steve about that very episode just 2 months ago. He was not aware of this rule and after finding out he had broken the rule he turned himself In to the UDWR. Can't remember if he was issued a citation or just a written warning.

This is a rule that needs to be revised to make common sense. Two guys hunting side by side on the same hunt, one with a longe range bomber with a 20x scope and one with a muzzleloader with a 4x scope......... and the 4x scope is not legal. ?? This makes no sense to any rational thinking person. It's like saying you want to limit yourself to using a bow on a rifle hunt but the bow is illegal.
I doubt there is one officer who would ticket the 4x scope guy in that situation. It just needs to be re-written is all.

>I doubt there is one officer
>who would ticket the 4x
>scope guy in that situation.
>It just needs to be
>re-written is all.

Don't be so sure. A guy would probably get a ticket if they got caught.

I agree, the law is stupid and needs to be changed.

Zeke

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom