Dad's OIL Oryx

Cookie2

Very Active Member
For a crew that didn't know a thing about oryx besides a few Outdoor Channel shows, we didn't do too bad....

8960image.jpg

The whole "crew". Wouldn't trad this trip for the world. (He doesn't smile very often!)

1593image.jpg

Yes. That's a sendero 300 RUM. Hand loaded w/ 165 ballistic tips. That thing has amazing ballistics!
The orientation meeting was supposed to be at 10:00. Of course, it didn't even start till after 11:00 because a couple of the hunters were late. We could understand because it is once in a lifetime tag but more than just a little irritated having to wait after the months he had already waited.
They told us at the meeting that they would all be laying down and extremely hard to find until they got up in the evening when it cooled down....we of course didn't believe this...lol.
Finally, they turned us loose to start hunting. Dad is MI so our chances were going to be limited as he is not physically able to walk very far at all. We knew it was going to have to be a close to the road thing. I figured just glass shady sides of mesquites and we would be able to find them....wrong! Didn't see a single oryx for several hours till a mesquite right by the road EXPLODED. Six cows came out of that bush! Aha! They aren't in shade beside bushes, they're IN bushes. I still don't see how they all fit in that bush but they did. All those cows made for parts unknown rather quickly but that was ok as Dad really wanted a bull although we weren't really sure they were ALL cows as we had ZERO experience, but I was pretty sure.
We drove around thru some pretty nasty roads and saw a few more but made positive that they were either cows or broken horns. All this time we had not encountered another vehicle or hunter. Suddenly we found ourselves in a three way tie at an intersection with two other trucks. We decided to take a road that one had already come thru hoping they had maybe made some stand up. THAT didn't work...lol. After a couple miles of ROUGH road I saw a truck coming towards us in the distance and made a quick decision to take what MIGHT be a road... Turns out it was but rarely used. Bladed recently so why not? Half a mile down this road I see two oryx making a b-line to cross in front of us. They stopped behind a mesquite bush unsure of what to do. When I put the binocs on them I FINALLY saw the rings I had heard so much about. I told Dad, the one on the left is definitely a bull but I have no idea about length but he looks good to me. Dad still had yet to actually see him. Kept trying to get him directed to the right bush to look at. The oryx started getting nervous and started to move and he finally got on them. When he stopped and turned broadside at 120yds Dad dropped the hammer. He almost went straight down but caught himself halfway down and basically hopped on back legs 46yds before going down for good. Broke both front shoulders. The bullet stopped just inside the skin on opposite side.
I have now been on ONE oryx hunt and am hooked! They still don't trump ibex but definitely #2 on my favorite list. Anyone need an extra back for packing one to truck or just an extra set of eyes....sign me up!

Congrats on a great oryx. That is a fun hunt and can't wait to get my oil tag. I did shoot one off range this last July. Congrats again and enjoy that great meat.

Got to put this hunt on the list, Nice looking crew and animal.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom