Dedicated Hunter WARNING

Ticks N Tines

Very Active Member
Fellow hunters and sportsman, I feel that it is my duty to warn you about the Dedicated Hunter program in the state of Utah. First of all, let me give you a little bit of background on my volunteer efforts for the state of Utah. 7 years ago I signed up with the ?Communities Fishing Program?. For two years, I taught kids the basics of fishing and to enjoy the outdoors. For the last 5 years, I have served (volunteered) on the ?CWMU Advisory Committee?. Both of these volunteer services were great opportunities and I enjoyed my services. I enjoyed the programs so much that I decided the Dedicated Hunter program would be a great way to volunteer and also gain additional hunting benefits for my efforts. The first time I joined the program, I completed 10 additional hours (50) of the required 40 hours. This was not rolled over, but I was ok with that decision. Overall, the experience wasn?t bad. However, two years ago when I signed up for the program again things had changed. The projects were near impossible to find, and many of them required distant travel. The only projects I could find in Northern Utah were on Antelope Island, and this is where my story begins.

I have attached my story and the email I received back from the program coordinator Jodie Anderson:

?I found the project listed on the DWR website and I believe it consisted of fixing up the bison corral. I thought it might be fun to go out there and do some hours. I talked to ****** and worked out a time to come out (around 12:00). I took a half day of vacation at work (4 hours) and went out to the island. When I arrived at the booth before crossing over to the Island, I confirmed with the lady that I was meeting ****** at the Bison Corrals. I drove over to the Bison corrals and there were just a bunch of visitors. I waited for a while, and then decided to walk around and try to locate ******. I searched all over and finally found an employee who said that ****** was in a different area working on something else. I went up to the area he described and there was only one vehicle up there. I assumed it was ******, but could not find her. I walked all over trying to find someone and could not see anyone. I then waited in the car for quite a while and finally talked to the owner of the vehicle who finally returned. He told me that ****** had most likely left for the day. I gave up at that point and headed home. I was on the island from about 12:00-4:00 (4 hours).

The next day ****** called me and apologized that she was not able to meet up with me. I think she realized she had forgot to meet me at the agreed time and location. She said that we could meet up again the following week for another try. She gave me a few details for the next project and said to meet up with her again around noon If I remember correctly. However, she didn't give me all the details and I had no idea where to meet her. I tried to call a few different times the day of the project, but she didn't answer. I went out to the booth (on the island) and asked where I could find ****** and they acted like she wasn't even there that day. Not wanting to go on a wild goose chase again, I turned around and went back home.

I do not have any hard feelings about the issue, and I realize that there was just a bit of mis-communication. However, I took hours off of work and several hours in drive time and also searching and waiting time for this project. I think it would be fair for me to receive at least the hours that I actually gave in effort to complete the project as well as compensation for the hours I had to take off of work.

6 hours Vacation time from work (4 hours the first occasion and 2 hours the second)
4 hours Total time spent on the Island searching/waiting for ****** on two different occasions.

10 Total hours

Thank you for your consideration?

Jodie?s Response:

Hi,

I submitted your request to receive credit for the time you spent trying to find ****** on Antelope Island last year. After much discussion and a lot of thought, the Division Error Committee could not support your request. If you run into this situation again, please contact myself or the State Volunteer Services Coordinator as soon as possible, so we can get the issue resolved.

My email back to Jodie:

"Jodie,
As an avid supporter and volunteer for several wildlife functions in the state, I have to say I'm very disappointed in this decision. I have supported this program from day one, but like many others I now realize that this program is very one sided. Not awarding a volunteer any hours for spending time away from his family and job to support wildlife activities is a shame. Not only did I spend the time, I also took valuable vacation time off of work, and spent money out of my own pocket to help with these projects. The mistake of the division to not show up to the project at the agreed time and date should not fall upon the volunteers shoulders.

This experience has showed me how much the division cares for the general public and wildlife volunteers. I will never join this program again and I feel it may be necessary to warn all others in the program of the consequences that fall upon our shoulders when the DWR makes a mistake."

I'm not sure why I was punished for the actions of the DWR. I did everything I could to complete my hours and was not able to complete them. As a result, I have several hours left that I will not be able to complete this year. I will not be able to hunt, and I will have a penalty for next year for not completing the hours. I don't have money to fork out to buy hours. I feel like I was ripped off by the state and I just wanted to warn everyone interested in joining the program.

HJB

I 100% agree that you should have received the hours you were there. You completed your commitment and was ready to work. If the DWR dropped the ball and didn't show up then that is on them. I would call director Sheehan (sp) personally and talk with him. He seems like a pretty good guy.

I was in the DH program the first six years and found it to be a joke. Most of the projects are a waste of time and really don't benefit wildlife at all. What pisses me off is that some people can't find a project any where close to where they live but if you "know" someone you can get "all" your hours for very little work.

This could be an awesome program if ran correctly but right now it is a waste of time and certainly not worth the effort.

Agreed, you were hosed. I left dedicated hunter program 6 years ago. Has some advantages, but can be a huge hassel

I will not be re joining the dedicated hunter program after next year. Nuff said rant over.

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

I thought about joining, but never had time for the projects, let alone hoping someone will actually do there part of the commitment, show up. Bummer u got f'd in the a.

So I have been thinking about this and if the person u contacted at AI works for the state and the person who u contacted about the hours also works for the state, why wouldnt they just contact her to verify your story? They couldnt make a phone call? Extremely lazy on there part.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom