deer 67 in 2011

mdbrown

Long Time Member
i have 7 nr points , next year im thinking about applying for 67 3rd hunt.is it a migratory unit? anyone tell me about the terain there? any other advice ? the reason im thinking about that unit is it looks like the residents also take about the same amount of points to draw. i really like open high desert type country is it like that? Larry

Just got back from camping in 67 this weekend. Here's my deer report for you. Beautiful country and looks great for deer, but we didnt see a single one! We camped west of Dome Lakes for reference. Mainly Sage with Aspen/Pine mixed in. Didnt see any deer or elk taken by the archery hunters either. We swung wide and came back over Cottonwood Pass near Taylor Res and thats the only place we seen deer

I drew a 3rd season tag in 67 this year. I blew 7 resident points on it. It's a big unit with a mix of terrain from high peaks to open sagebrush. I haven't been able to scout much yet, so I don't know what to expect. The deer will move lower with the weather. The 1st week of Nov. the rut should be starting and the deer should be at lower elevation.

It's a great hunt. Tons of bucks!!!
We hunted it before the big winter kill a few years back.
Saw on average 50 bucks a day! We could never find any 180+ type bucks.
Garth was helping his niece hunt that same year in unit 67, Co.
saw his rig parked just off pavement, across the road, they were field dressing a buck, size? never saw it in the mag...
Fun hunt, lots of bucks in the rut... Some say 66 is better.
Down low, lots of sage and aspen pockets. The elk hunters were up higher too. No hunting pressure.

sounds like a fun hunt, but i think with 7 years of so called patience i would like to find a hunt with a good chance of a big buck rather than seeing allot of good bucks. i am used to hunting central idaho where i live, there arent allot of deer,nor is there many big ones either thats why i have been building points in colorado.

>It's a great hunt. Tons of
>bucks!!!
>We hunted it before the big
>winter kill a few years
>back.
>Saw on average 50 bucks a
>day! We could never find
>any 180+ type bucks.
>Garth was helping his niece hunt
>that same year in unit
>67, Co.
>saw his rig parked just off
>pavement, across the road, they
>were field dressing a buck,
>size? never saw it in
>the mag...
>Fun hunt, lots of bucks in
>the rut... Some say 66
>is better.
>Down low, lots of sage and
>aspen pockets. The elk hunters
>were up higher too. No
>hunting pressure.

Im not trying to be a downer here, but i saw what 67 was before the winter kill and yes it was as you described. I have been there since, and the deer herd was decimated. A fraction of the deer still exist. You can still find a nice buck or two on the unit, but man the deer are few and far between now compared to what it was. Hopefully it rebounds in the next few years.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom