Deer Vs Drilling: New Research in CO

Yes but the money big oil brings is sooooo nice.... And this monocultural industry mentality is serving this part of the world how well today an in the past? Post this article around town and it will be torches and pitchforks.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

It was a pretty crappy article! I have talked with some on the research team they mentioned how a single rig shifted the deer almost 5 miles off course. It also did not mention anything about weeds, habitat loss in the oil and gas patch, or the rate and number of animals hit by vehicles!

The next major thing that will kill off the deer in the basin will be the new wildlife fence the county is building! There is only one underpass at the far end and the rest will be high fenced with no way for animals to cross!

They are literally sending a knife though the migration route of the best deer migration in the state!

So based on this research, the deer herds in areas with no oil/gas development should be doing just fine. Somebody please tell me where those locations are so I can finally burn these points. Uncompahgre plateau should be great since there is very little if any drilling going on there. Not the case. HCN is such a biased source it is not credible in my book. There are so many variables involved with the decline in the deer herd in my opinion. Winter range development, be it extractive industries or people moving to the country, poaching, predators, disease, season dates, competition from other species, fire suppression all have a negative impact on the herd. I believe that research could be done showing each of these variable(and more) have a significant impact on the mule deer population in Western Colorado or the Western US.
The article did not give me the overwhelming urge to subscribe.

>So based on this research, the
>deer herds in areas with
>no oil/gas development should be
>doing just fine.

How do you make that inference? Is that what the paper says? Did you bother to read the paper? I can send you a copy if you like. The study that the article references looked at one factor in the "many variables involved" that you mentioned. There is no conclusion that energy development is the sole reason for mule deer decline, but to refuse to believe that it may be one relevant factor would be akin to sticking your head in the sand.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom