Desert Bighorn Meat

GoHigher

Just thought I'd throw out a post regarding sheep meat. I have a tag this December in NV and am very excited for my first ram hunt. I have never tasted ram meat. Any advice on how to prepare it and what to expect (comparing it to elk and deer)? Thanks!

The desert sheep I have consumed have been fine eating. I have usually fried filets in butter and I season it with Lawrys seasoning. I prefer it over deer or elk. I never over cook any game meat because it is very lean it quickly becomes dry if you cook it too long.

Congrats on your tag and happy eating!

Desert bighorn meat is surprisingly really good. We have enjoyed it fried in a pan with butter and salt medium rare, just make sure you do not overcook it, and also the roasts in the crockpot are pretty dang tasty as well.

I have to echo what the others have said.

The meat is delicious and quite tender, especially considering we're eating the old rams.

There isn't any mutton taste at all. They are nothing like domestic sheep.

Rare to medium rare is the way to go. I don't grill mine since there isn't any fat in the meat. Hot fry pan, butter, salt and pepper and you're good-to-go!

Good luck on your hunt. Shoot an old ram and enjoy the meat.

Zeke

Desert bighorn is DEEEELICIOUS! Just not enough of it.They're a fairly small bodied animal. Here's a photo of mine from Colorado.
3564sheep3.jpg

We are taking our time eating through mine from last season, and my wife drew a tag this year for her sheep. It's a very good meat!

I might cook some up for dinner now. Like stated, easy heat and serve immediately!

Does it taste like the rocky sheep? I have tried the rocky bighorns and loved it, same with moose wish you could get more of it :)

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

^similar for sure, but definitely not quite as good as a high country grass fed Rocky, which might be my all time favorite next to high country pronghorn, followed closely by late season fat cow elk, also of the high land variety

The deserts I've eaten have all been pretty good though...the advice above is spot on; pan sear the good cuts in butter or bacon fat and serve rare to very rare (think seared ahi style)

There are also a lot of reduction type recipes that can be drizzled over the top of the newly finished steaks, which of course work well to augment most varieties of ungulate species

Grind or jerk the lesser cuts, or cube for stews, tacos, chile, etc

Bon Appetit!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-27-15 AT 11:17PM (MST)[p]Skip cooking it like steaks. I watched Scott Leyseth cook some wild game like you would a slab of prime rib. Its the best way to cook any wild game. I cooked some sheep back strap last week that was 5 - 6" long. I hit it with a Jaccard and then marinated it. I put it on the grille and cooked it on low heat. Check the temp and rotate until the internal temp is 120-125 degrees. Let it rest for 5 - 10 minutes and then slice. It'll be somewhere between rare and med rare. Serve with some Au Jus or steak sauce and yer set...

Be carful using the Jaccard. Sometimes they ruin a great cut, sometimes they make that crapy cut good :)

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-27-15
>AT 11:17?PM (MST)

>
>Skip cooking it like steaks.
>I watched Scott Leyseth cook
>some wild game like you
>would a slab of prime
>rib. Its the best
>way to cook any wild
>game. I cooked some
>sheep back strap last week
>that was 5 - 6"