Do You ALWAYS Hear a THWAK?!

eyeguard

Hey Gang,

Was fortunate to tag out late morning last Friday. One shot between 300-350 yds. Wasn't sure if I hit him because I didn't hear the "THWAK" that I'm used to. Had my cousin go up and around to spook him out my direction in case he had bedded down and was only wounded. He ended up walking up on him as I guided him to where I had last seen him.

My question is... Is it very common to hit an animal and not hear a sound? I can't recall ever downing an animal before this where I didn't hear the good ol' sound of bullet on bone. Could it also depend on bullet and placement? I was using Hornady SSTs and put it right behind the shoulder quartering away. What's been your experience(s)? Would love to hear others' takes on this.

Thanks,

EG

campfire2.gif
"A man can be hard to find in the mountains, but you're welcome at my fire anytime."

I will tell you this, you will NOT always hear the shwack or thud of the bullet-strike!
If the animal is close you'll never be able to hear it. If they're 300+ then it's more common to hear it.
I've shot hundreds of animals and the bullet-strike sound is NOT a reliable indicator of a hit or miss.
Zeke

I rarely hear it but I generally am within 100yds. Think the sound of the shot prevents my old ears from hearin it, plus I'm workin the action in case I need a follow up. How did the bullet perform?

I have never heard that sound, maybe have a couple of times and didn't realize it but I doubt it.
For years I always thought that was a bunch of guys just bull $hi*ing that they could hear it hit.
I am more worried about getting another round in the barrel, lining up the cross hairs for a follow up shot if needed then the sound...

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

>wah wah wah......
a certain individuals response on 8/12/2014 to anyone that commits suicide.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID11/19864.html
There are many things that would be nice to wish for or say but then I would be just like him.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-14 AT 01:38PM (MST)[p]I did hear my arrow smack my moose this year... at 15 yards! Does that count? LOL

I shot a pronghorn at over 400 (I'll leave it at that) and I heard the strike. I also shot a fine mule deer at just over 400 and heard the distinct sound again. Every shot I made this year I heard it strike.

But like I said above, It's not reliable to indicate a hit or a miss!

Zeke

I did hear it this year on my antelope at 325 yds but I would say I more often don't hear it. I would say most of my shots are under 200 yds typically though, like to get as close as possible...

Buddy shot an antelope at 500yds. Didn't hear it. It was a perfectly placed shot and not a sound. Heard it on everything else except an elk at 50yds.

At that distance, almost always. I think the THWACK sound comes from the bullet hitting the body cavity. Kinda like tapping a watermelon. On a quartering away shot right behind the shoulder, you are missing most of the body cavity. I've killed many animals with the SST and usually hear the bullet impact when they are broadside.

Hey Zeke!

Go ahead & Tell us the True Yardage!

Then you'll Qualify for an MM Ass Chewin!:D

>LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-14
>AT 01:38?PM (MST)

>
>I did hear my arrow smack
>my moose this year... at
>15 yards! Does that count?
>LOL
>
>I shot a pronghorn at over
>400 (I'll leave it at
>that) and I heard the
>strike. I also shot a
>fine mule deer at just
>over 400 and heard the
>distinct sound again. Every shot
>I made this year I
>heard it strike.
>
>But like I said above, It's
>not reliable to indicate a
>hit or a miss!
>
>Zeke

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

For me I generally hear it about 75 percent of the time depending on the surrounding area. I rarely shoot past 300 but I have had buddies on farther knolls from me that clearly heard it when I wasn't sure I did---

>Hey Zeke!
>
>Go ahead & Tell us the
>True Yardage!
>
>Then you'll Qualify for an MM
>Ass Chewin!:D
>
>
>
>>LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-14
>>AT 01:38?PM (MST)

>>
>>I did hear my arrow smack
>>my moose this year... at
>>15 yards! Does that count?
>>LOL
>>
>>I shot a pronghorn at over
>>400 (I'll leave it at
>>that) and I heard the
>>strike. I also shot a
>>fine mule deer at just
>>over 400 and heard the
>>distinct sound again. Every shot
>>I made this year I
>>heard it strike.
>>
>>But like I said above, It's
>>not reliable to indicate a
>>hit or a miss!
>>
>>Zeke
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red
>Hot Barrel & My Dead
>Cold Hands I Shall go
>down Fighting for American Pride
>& Rights!
>I Know I'm Out Numbered by
>Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll
>Throw Their Hands in the
>air & I know I
>can't Lick the U.S. Military
>by Myself when they Turn
>on us but I'll make
>
>you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a
>Situation where I Hope to
>Hell All Americans become True
>Americans once again & Stand
>up for their Rights!

Bobcat,
NO thank you! I've seen what they do to guys who shoot past 400!
Zeke

It seems obvious to me that the sound we hear after a shot depends totally on the conditions. Distance, shot placement, focus and attention of the hunter, etc.
I too have been with other hunters when I have heard the impact and others next to me have not. But I always listen for it and it is a telling sound.

I hear it better when I'm not the one pulling the trigger. I've also had some soft dirt/clay make the same sound.

"telling sound of a hit" - yes
"reliable indicator of a miss when sound is absent" - no

Always, always, always follow-up after every shot.

About 6 years ago I shot at a buck and he made it to the trees and ran out the far side and I could not get a shot through the trees. I followed-up and found the very dead (buck #1) just inside the trees. This just reinforced my "follow-up" rule.

Years ago I made the decision to always walk the area, for an extended time, before I'd confirm a miss.

Zeke

This year I heard the Thwack after I hit my elk at 200 yards with my bow. I love that sound! Nothing like a broadhead hitting its mark. Ok, so it was only 20 yards, I just wanted a few people to shizz thier pants for a second.

DDub,

The bullet definitely did its job. I would say it performed well... complete pass through with good expansion causing a bigger exit wound. I always work the action too, but it's so reflexive that I do it without even thinking about it. Guess that allows me to focus on the extraneous sound(s) when and after I shoot. Thanks for responding.

EG

campfire2.gif
"A man can be hard to find in the mountains, but you're welcome at my fire anytime."

LOL! Robil... Ha Ha Ha that was good! :)

Thanks for everyone's comments guys! I appreciate all the feedback.

EG

campfire2.gif

I was hunting deer with my wife yesterday when i heard a shot and thwak come from the next ridge over. I told her the deer was hit and she wanted to know how i knew since they were out of sight.
After explaining the thwak principle we we ran into the hunters and sure enough the deer was dead.

I almost always hear it, except this year when my buddy hit his deer at 50 yards. Never heard it, but the deer died almost instantly.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom