Doe - Buck Relationship: Late Summer

hunter12345

Hi ya'll, new here to the forum, been hunting deer for 6-7 years, usually in the late fall Oct-Nov. However, this year I drew the 1028 tag in GMU 39 and have been eluded by these bucks (first time hunting this early). Over the last month I have been as high as my legs can stand, typically camping at 7000' then moving up to 8000-9000' by foot, and have seen plenty of Doe, caught quite a few on my cam too, but only one buck, coincidentally in my camp after dark, SOB walked up within 15 feet of me, likely a yearling, small two point with one side busted off. Even saw an Elk herd last week and the Bull was Bugling like crazy about 300 yards off, first time I've experienced that in person and if I don't get a deer, that alone will have made the season. (Why have I not been hunting elk?!?) Anyways, I am wondering what the relationship between Bucks and Does is this time of year, are they in the same range? a ridge over? within a mile? or completely staying away, as in, if you see a Doe, you ain't seeing a Buck today. Just curious, internet searches are coming up pretty dry on this subject far as I've found. Thanks!

>Hi ya'll, new here to the
>forum, been hunting deer for
>6-7 years, usually in the
>late fall Oct-Nov. However, this
>year I drew the 1028
>tag in GMU 39 and
>have been eluded by these
>bucks (first time hunting this
>early). Over the last month
>I have been as high
>as my legs can stand,
>typically camping at 7000' then
>moving up to 8000-9000' by
>foot, and have seen plenty
>of Doe, caught quite a
>few on my cam too,
>but only one buck, coincidentally
>in my camp after dark,
>SOB walked up within 15
>feet of me, likely a
>yearling, small two point with
>one side busted off. Even
>saw an Elk herd last
>week and the Bull was
>Bugling like crazy about 300
>yards off, first time I've
>experienced that in person and
>if I don't get a
>deer, that alone will have
>made the season. (Why have
>I not been hunting elk?!?)
>Anyways, I am wondering what
>the relationship between Bucks and
>Does is this time of
>year, are they in the
>same range? a ridge over?
>within a mile? or completely
>staying away, as in, if
>you see a Doe, you
>ain't seeing a Buck today.
>Just curious, internet searches are
>coming up pretty dry on
>this subject far as I've
>found. Thanks!

The bucks are where you find them.

Yearling bucks yes. Older bucks, absolutely not. I'd say if you see a lot of does you are in the wrong place to find a "mature" buck. Nothing is absolute, hell booner bucks live along the snake river, and does live above snow line, but generally speaking....

>Yearling bucks yes. Older bucks,
>absolutely not. I'd say
>if you see a lot
>of does you are in
>the wrong place to find
>a "mature" buck. Nothing
>is absolute, hell booner bucks
>live along the snake river,
>and does live above snow
>line, but generally speaking....

I agree, mature bucks and does don't mingle much until November. You need to go higher. My buddy said it best when he said "my heals never touched the slope for 3 hours". That's where you find the bucks until they start moving down in October.

Alright fellas I appreciate the help, but ya'll gonna be the death of me! I thought I was in pretty decent physical condition until this weekend almost killed me, and I still don't think I was high enough. 5600' up to 8400' and still no bone. Could see some snow capped peaks off about 5 miles, think they're over 9000', figured that must be the place, but did't have the energy or time left to get over there. I saw 7 does, 1 spike bull elk, and a bear, so a lot of life, just not the type I'm looking for. Do you consider it bad form to blatantly state where you've been hunting? Curious if anyone could tell me if I was close haha, my season is up so doesn't really matter at this point.

Think mountain goat country, especially in the early season. As high and steep as you can get that's where you will find the big bucks. Especially in avalanche chutes on East and not North facing slopes. Also it is very important to be there at 1st light and last light.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom