Does it really matter?

canon

OK I am new to this forum and it sure is informative. I am in search of a muzzleloader and the only one I ever used was a knight. I shot an antelope at 160 yards no problem with it. However that was several years ago. I need to purchase my own and I was wondering about the new CVA Optima Pro Magnum with a 29" fluted barrell. HAs anyone shot this? I know a lot of people prefer that knight or TC Omega over a Tradition or CVA and I am wondering if you are buying the name or if they really shoot/perform better? Any thoughts? Thanks for the help and good hunting.

I beleive you are paying for a muzzleloader with a higher standard of quality when you buy a Knight or Thompson center product.I'm sure there are CVA supporters that love there products,but IMO Thompson Center and Knight are a higher quality product.Also you can't beat the customer service at TC,called them yesterday for some screw plugs and another screw I striped the head on and they are sending them out no charge.The best way I can describe this is you can buy a Cadillac or you can buy a Chevette both will get you to point a from b,it's just the style and quality of the ride.Good luck.

Canon, first off welcome to MM.
To your question, as previously stated customer service does play a part in choosing a new muzzleloader. I have never owned a CVA so I can't tell you anything about their rifles or their services.

The things I have considered when buying a rifle in the past were;
1)Design and craftsmanship.
2)Over all weight and length
3)Recomendations from others
4)The regulations where I plan to hunt

Also, there is a lot to be said about made in the USA.
If CVA's look the best to you' by all means buy one and please keep us posted on how you like it. Also, if your choosing a brand to save a few $$ all I can say is you might be sorry later. Good luck.

I own T/C and CVA and I would go with my T/C any day any time any where. Cva is a good gun and it works but my T/C is so much better.

I expect my muzzleloaders to shoot to 100 yards. All of them from 50 cal to 58. They all are TC side locks. I will not buy or shoot a in-line. I don't care if they shoot farther or better they are butt ugly and I won't have one.

Odds are, your 160 yard shot with a borrowed CVA would of meant a wounded animal instead of a Knight rifle harvested animal. Also.. T/C and Knight have the best new rifle warranties... that should tell you something right there. There are plenty of fine shooting Traditions & CVAs. However, your odds of getting a bad shooting Optima Pro are greater than getting a bad shooting T/C Omega or bad shooting Knight Revolution.

............."KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY".............

Sounds like the TC Omega is the best choice. Thanks for all of the input. One important factor for me is I want to buy one that will last even if I spend an extra $100, I want to buy something that is reliable and I can use 5 years down the road, like swarovskis, or my trusty browning 300 wsm. I am also thinking about getting a fixed 4 power scope. ANyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom