Don't leave home without it

dryflyelk

This morning I hit the 'front in search of deer with a friend. Long story short, when I was a ways back in, I cut my finger on my broadhead. The arrow had worked it's way back out of the quiver a little and it sliced the top of my pinky down to the bone.

We wrapped it and it bled a lot. Luckily, I happened to have some of the quickclot powder that I had included in my first aid kit. We poured that stuff on it and wrapped it and it stopped the bleeding.

We hiked down to the truck and had to reapply the dressing. It started bleeding again...a lot...and we poured more quickclot on it and wrapped it. That did the trick.

Ended up getting stitched up at the instacare. It continued to bleed through the stitches, as I has cut some blood vessels. The applied a pressure wrap and a big 'ol splint, but if it doesn't stop bleeding i'm supposed to go see a hand surgeon. We'll see how it goes.

Bottom line - I could have been way back in and we would have had a hard time stopping that bleeding, and it was only on my pinky. I'll be carrying that quickclot with me every time from here on out, as well as a few more items in my kit. It could save your life if you're far from your truck.

Vi Et Armis Invictus Maneo

dryflyelk: Great advise on carrying the Quickclot as part of emergency gear. Everyone in our group carries a large package of Quickclot and it should be a part of everyone's First Aid Emergency Gear. Hopefully we will never have the injury to use it. :) Glad you are OK and had the Quickclot along on your hunt.

))))-------->

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom