Double lung shot....1mile blood trail

2pointer

Here is a picture of my brothers elk. He made an 8 yard shot.(not 80) Double lung shot and a 1 mile 4 hour tracking job.

Sorry, I am not able to post the picture. Any help would be cool.

2pointer

The picture is probably too big. If you don't have an editing program to re-size it, upload it to photobucket.com or similar site. It will resize it automatically. Then try it. Or, you can email it to [email protected] and I'll do it for you.

First, it's almost certain that you didn't double lung this bull, or he wouldn't have gone more than a few hundred yards. OR, you were shooting field points!

Bulls double lunged with broadheads don't go a mile, regardless of what you think.

If you double lung an elk you will watch him drop! I have never had a true double lung go more than 60 yards when hit with a sharp broadhead. Now a rifle shot bull will spook and die running and could go a bit farther.

I'd rather be huntin!!!!

I don't know about elk, but I had a double lung buck lay down and didn't die for about 2 hours. I watched his head keep bobbing up and down. I thought I hit him too far back. Turns out it was a clean pass though BOTH lungs. And no it wasn't a field point. Rocky Mountain Premier 100 Gr.

Odd things happen. Why are you calling the dude a liar??????

1 mile is a long way to track anything! Even gut shot they don't that far unless you push them. You must have had great blood to track him that far. Glad to see you made the recovery though. See if you can get the pics up.
PS what kind of broadhead?

LAST EDITED ON Sep-26-07 AT 12:00PM (MST)[p]It would be interesting to know if it was one of those "ever reliable" expandables. :( Sometimes, the effectiveness of those is equal to a field point.

Not meaning to take away from the accomplishment of the hunt or demean anyone. I have just heard horror stories about expandables and it would just be interesting to know what kind of broadhead was used.

Would love to see the pictures!

He's probably afraid to put the pics up now....figure you guys will pick that apart too.

CAelkhunts.....regardless of what you think, you weren't there. Way to piss on the guys accomplishments.

Let me re-phrase my statement. It is possible to hit one on the outer area of the lungs and the hemorrhaging would not be sufficient to put an animal down in a quick fashion. I would commend him on a 1 mile track job. Typically a blood trail will get harder to trail as the animal looses more blood. A high hit will take longer to fill the cavity than a lower hit. So anyone that trails one for a mile has done a great justice to the animal.

I'd rather be huntin!!!!

No kidding. I wouldn't post the pictures now either. CAballsniffer will probably call photo shop on you. I gues a guy has to have tough skin to continue posting pictures of thier accomplishments on this site. As for me, I'll post them where they are appreciated.

I hate to disappoint you stickslinger, but I've never suggested "photoshop" about any picture. If you read many posts, you'll notice that I do criticize people who always tend to say that, though.

The point I was making, simply, is that any animal shot with a proper broadhead, that is truly hit through both lungs, will NEVER go a mile. Yeah, I agree these guys did a super job of tracking the elk, and even more impressive to me was that they didn't give up like some people would have done.

I too have tracked a few elk long distances, but none of them were hit well at all. I helped a guy once who told me he'd shot a cow elk right behind the shoulder and had a great blood trail for a few hundred yards, then it vanished and he couldn't find the elk. My partner and I went to the area, found the blood (which was great for about 300 yards) and eventually found the elk about 1/2 mile away, stone dead. The guy's shot "right behind the shoulder" actually hit the elk in the fron portion of the right hind leg! He couldn't believe where the wound was, and didn't want to believe he didn't hit it in the chest. We actually couldn't convince him until we skinned his elk and showed him a perfectly intact ribcage.

I think these guys did great to track and recover this bull, but anyone with even the most rudimentary knowlege of anatomy/physiology knows a Double Lunged bull can't go that far. Physiologically impossible. He MAY have hit the bull very high and back through the chest, and passed OVER the lungs and then it could happen if the entry and exit holes are small and the hide can cover them so the lungs don't collapse. A Double Lunged animal dies not only through hemorrage, but also asphyixia from it's lungs collapsing and it suffocating. That ALWAYS happens when both lungs are lacerated by a sharp broadhead, NO exceptions.

I'l love to see pics of the bull.

I get sick of the "better than thou's" on the internet forums. I personally have been bowhunting for 25 yrs and never had that happen to me but I have double lunged deer that ran a couple of hundred yards and have heard a few reputable stories from people that I trust that have had similar experiences with elk especially. The last 4 elk I have shot have had a combined recovery distance of about 120 yards but that is probably lucky. Usually they will go down very quickly if they are center punched in the lungs. But that doesn't give the punks on the internet a reason to crucify the guy and call him a liar. The number one thing I do see that I dont agree with, however, is bowhunters shooting broadheads at animals that have already had the blades shot into a target. I think they need new super sharp blades on the arrows they are shooting at animals.

I guess I should have bought a lotto ticket the day my buck was double lunged and lived for 2 hours? Sounds like your telling me that was an impossibility.

Maybe the guys bull ran a mile straight down a very step hill or fell off a mile high friggin cliff. Who gives a rats a**. He was sharing his story and now he may never post on this site again because of a bunch of low life hypocrits.

CAelknuts is correct, and I fail to see where he "attacked" or called the hunter a "liar", that is what you guys took it as, nothing more. It is physically impossible for an animal to have an arrow do a pass thru BOTH lungs and go 1+ miles. It would defy the laws of science. To say that, does NOT attack the hunter, merely points out a slight flaw in his perception of where he hit the animal or how far the animal actually traveled. When an animal is fleeing after a shot, a couple of hundred yards can seem like a mile.

Congrats and kudos to the hunter, way to stay after it and recover the animal!

PRO

Then I have seen the "law of sciece defied" I guess.
My point is this: why even make the remark. There was no congradulations, no nice tracking job, or are you sure you hit both lungs. CAelkbutt flat out said not possible.
Let it go. Who care if your are fricken rocket scientist who has the time to read about "the law of science". I spend my time hunting. And when you spend as much time huntng as i do, i guarantee you will see stuff you never thought possible. Put your book down and go hunt!!!
My motto is "I saw it fricken happen".

Cudos to the hunter!! Sounds like a good shot and an excellent tracking job!! And guess what, you have defied the law of science, according to the scientists on this site. I think a nobel prize in in order.

I dont know about a double lung going a mile, I guess it all depends on the area of the lung hit. I do know about liver hit deer. A few years ago I shot a deer slighty coming forward, broadhead sliced right thru the lower half of the liver, watched as the deer walked right under my stand with blood running out of both sides, that deer was still alive 6 hours later and had covered some of the worst terrain West Virginia has to offer. If someone had told me before that a deer would be alive 6 hours after being hit in the liver I would have greatly doubted them, but after that I wouldnt, animals are tough, really really tough, dont ever underestimate their will to live.

One of the double lung kills I made was on a very fatty deer. Clean pass, didn't hit a rib in or out. But it did go right through the center of both lungs. The buck did live a long time before he died, could have went miles had I not watch him bed down and kept from bumping him up. There was barely a drop of blood on entrance and exit on the hide. He didn't bleed externally hardly at all. Only thing I can think of is that the fat and hide sealed the holes, thus keeping the lungs from collapsing.

So, was that possible or am I liar too.

WAstickflinger, I'll put my hours in the field every year during archery season against yours anytime. I'll also put up how many animals I see killed with archery gear each year. Bring it. I didn't see the hunter whine like you are, so maybe he took it for what it was and nothing more. Get over it, wipe your tears away, and move on.

PRO

I am just tired of seeing people judge others and make stupid comments on this site.

Like scientific statements. Who the heck cares if you think it is scientifically impossible. If it happened it happened. If he said it was double lung shot, it was a double lung shot, why create a post and disagree?

Prime example of "hyjacked post"! Also a prime example of why you don't see as many pictures and read as many stories as we could.

You may not of specifically called the guy a liar.....but you did call him out. Maybe he gave us the quick version of the story and the more discreptive version was to come with the pics.

Either way you guys totally f'd up his thread.

Rookies.....???

>I am just tired of seeing
>people judge others and make
>stupid comments on this site.
>
>
>Like scientific statements. Who the heck
>cares if you think it
>is scientifically impossible. If it
>happened it happened. If he
>said it was double lung
>shot, it was a double
>lung shot, why create a
>post and disagree?

Are you not guilty of the same 'crime'? Are you the pot or the kettle? Like I said, I don't see where CAelknuts attacked anyone, yet you and others sure have attacked him, WTF?

PRO

Another example of pot/kettle syndrom. You whiny a#$es are the ones who have hyjacked this thread, not CAelknuts or myself. You are the ones continuing this non-issue stuff.

PRO

"I am just tired of seeing people judge others and make stupid comments on this site."

+1.

"I'll put my hours against your anyday....." blahblahblah

This remindes me of another debate--- what came first, the chicken or the egg?
How bout those Steelers anyway?

WAstickflinger wrote: "Hey pro. When do you atually become pro. Is it after your BS in science. Or just once it has been astablished that you are full of BS."

Bahaha. You are quite the funny little fellar. PRO is short for Porcupine Ridge Outdoors, my biz. But, I suppose I am a "PRO" since I get paid very well for assisting hunters put big bucks/bulls on the ground each fall. My BS is in Electrical Engineering, so I guess that makes me a "PRO" that way as well. Then I am pro-outdoors, meaning I love being outdoors and am all for being pro-outdoors.

How does such a sensitive fellar like yourself handle hunting? Get some thicker skin, lighten up, and don't take this forum so damn seriouos. It is much funner that way.

PRO

LAST EDITED ON Sep-26-07 AT 04:42PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-26-07 AT 04:41?PM (MST)

What do you charge for a porcupine hunt? I might be interested.

P.S. way to promote your business. Whoops I meant biz.

CAelknuts quote from another post- "NVG, you obviously didn't see my post over on bowsite. A lot of people are getting sick and tired of everyone jumping all over some guy every time a picture is posted of an outstanding buck or bull. All some people want to do it figure out what's wrong with the situation, never look at the bright side. Too many people are nothing but negative, and I know from private converstations I've had that more than a few people have grown very weary of reading all the negative stuff."

I just took a sample. It goes on and on and on. My point is proven here. I will leave the thread alone. Apologies for hi-jacking thread to the hunter. Frick people, quit picking guys apart when they post stuff.

Qoute: "What do you charge for a porcupine hunt? I might be interested.

P.S. way to promote your business. Whoops I meant biz."

You should be on Last Comic Standing, you are freakin funny.

P.S. don't worry about my biz(business). I do just fine and have no worries about being booked up every year. I suppose when one on a yearly basis puts book animals on the ground, he need not worry about wannabe's looking poorly on what I say on a forum full of crybabies.

I am, as we speak looking at five bulls over 330 in the fields across the road, so I say life is pretty dang good. Have fun being the 'post tone' police, I gotta get the spotting scope out to get some close up video footage, I am out of here! TTFN

PRO

Hey WAstickslinger, I guess all us guys from WA are sesitive guys because I AGREE with you 100%. Some people on this site seem to think they are the bee's knee's. They aren't experts. They are x-spurts!!

Thanks Kent

Its funny how every time I make a comment to Mr. Pro he has to talk about himself. Some guys just cant get enough of themselves.

Looking at 330 class bulls??? The way you talk I would expect nothing less the 430 cass bulls.

Ok, seriously I'll drop it.

I once had a head shot elk go TWO miles! I was scooping his brains out of the snow the whole way! Anyone wanna post my pictures??????????? :)
45f82e4d30de4f30.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Sep-27-07 AT 00:04AM (MST)[p]I do have to say that I'm a little amuzed at how WAstickslinger has his underwear in such a bunch. I've probably been one of the more consistent defenders of guys who've shot bucks and bulls and posted them on here, when others shout "photoshop or high fence, or whatever." A lot of us have gotten tired of hearing the jealous whining anytime someone posts a great animal, and in case you haven't noticed, our objections seem to have had an impact, as I see far fewer negative posts about hunters lately.

I never intended my comment about a double lunged animal not being able to go a mile as a slam toward the hunter or guy who posted it, I just stated a fact is all. I think the guy did a super job of staying on the track and giving so much time and effort to finding the animal. That said, I'm still quite sure it was hit a bit differently than stated, but so what.

The part I find so amuzing is that while you guys were on here arguing with each other and calling me names (by the way, the name elknuts simply comes from the fact that my teenaged son and I are both nuts about elk hunting); I've been out scouting rutting bulls here in Arizona. The season starts on Friday for a buddy, and we're having more fun than any of you guys with your shorts bunched up. Tonight we only saw a few elk and a bear, but last night we were right next to a herd with 6 or 8 mature bulls screaming their heads off, and two nice 6 pt. bulls fighting right in front of us.

You guys keep on arguing, I have to go to bed, because I have to get up early tomorrow to go check on a big bull we hope to "double lung" on Friday.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom