Draw Trend Shift

ForkWest

Very Active Member
Unsuccessful for me. Seems the rumors of the price increase really threw off the historical drawing trends. Should have been a lock in my unit with my # of points, and has been the case for years now. Not this year. Anyone else experience this?

I did in the Elk draw my area really jumped up in points.I"m just Putting in for points for Deer.

all the antelope units I have looked at so far so point creep of 1-2 points in the special draw.

Unsuccessful.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-19-13 AT 03:16PM (MST)[p]Yep, last year Elk was 30% and "should" have been almost 100% this year. They never even got to my point pool this year, filling with max point guys.

I think we/Internet are our own worst enemy. Nowdays everybody knows how and what to apply for to get drawn. Which hunts are drawable as 2nd choices, and cow/doe tags getting added to justify the cost of the trip. I'm seeing slim pickins in multiple states for left overs and point buyers moving in as they finally realize no amount of time will move them up to a top unit with their points.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-19-13 AT 08:06PM (MST)[p]Draw is tricky these days...predicting demand shifts are tough.

Put in for a unit which had left overs last year for the first choice which also seen a tag increase and we were unsuccessful. Had the same result with our second choice which had left overs as well last year. After looking over the left overs list it seems slim pickings abound. Guess we just weren't supposed to hunt this unit this year. Still might be able to scab a leftover tag in another unit so all hope is not lost just means we need to work a touch harder.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

Look on the bright side. A lot of points left the system this year. I burned 6 antelope points to take a friend on a hunt that normally takes 2 points to draw. That will give someone a better tag in the future.

put in for a antelope unit that had 100% draw odds with 2 points. This year it had 0% draw odds with 2 points. Maybe next year.

You gotta remember that most tags got slashed this year,,,plus a lot of guys trying to draw tags before tag prices possibly go up. This was definitely a down year for drawing most tags in Wyo...unless you were super lucky! Pray that Wyo starts getting moisture and has a fairly mild 2013 winter or the trend may continue!

First time ever that I did not draw any thing,not even doe antelope tags.But I was told they slashed tags numbers.
Guess it's Colorado elk this year.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-13 AT 08:06AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-13 AT 08:06?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-13 AT 07:56?AM (MST)

I fear Wyoming is going the same way as Utah. Lots more antelope, to be sure, but tags in premier Areas all require max points now. The reality of it is that I'll never draw Wyoming's "best" units for trophy antelope.

Premier units in Utah could be drawn by a non-res just ten years ago with a few bonus point. No more. Even with 10 pts a non-res in Utah is looking at 27 years to draw a premier unit.

I won't live long enough to draw Utah's best units.

The good news is that Wyoming has many units with trophy pronghorns, all over the State, not just the historically famous ones. I've been fortunate to draw 5 tags in the last 5 years, all in good units, producing 2 real trophies so far, another expected this year.

But I needed professional help to do it, though - couldn't have done it on my own.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom