Drew East Canyon Moose

DidIDraw

It finally happened! 22 years of applying and finally drew a UT moose tag.

Don't know much about this area, would love any input about where to start. Can hardly wait to get out the ATV or mountain bike and start exploring the area. It is close enough that I should be able to get to know it pretty well.

How big of a bull should I hold out for? My expectations aren't really high, just wondering what the area might hold. I understand that the rut is around the first week of Oct - will there be significant elk hunting pressure during the general hunt?

Thanks!

would this one be big enough for you?

741larrymoose.jpg

Wow, both of those bulls are beyond what I was expecting for that area. That is really exciting!

Thanks for sharing.

Do you mind if I send you a PM to learn a little more about where to start scouting?

Happy for you dididraw!

ASU, those are excellent bulls! Are you trying to make dididraw wet himself? LOL

Zeke

I just wanted to make sure he knew what potential the unit had. my buddy was told by several people to shoot the first bull he saw over 30". I think we saw bulls everyday. my buddy drew as a NR with 8 pts. lucky guy. for some reason the G&F this year pulled the NR tag out of the east canyon unit.

sure, send me a message and I will get you in touch with my buddy. I am sure he will not mind sharing some info with you. he got help two years ago from people he met on the internet.

Thanks ASUCoues. I received several emails - extremely helpful! Super kind of you to help out. I responded with several of the areas I've hunted, will be happy to return the favor.

Todd

Been watching parts of this unit for my whole life. This tag 7-8 years ago would produce great bulls. Lately it has been struggling. I drew my tag in 2013, one of the worst years in my opinion. Saw a ton of moose, just lots of young bulls. Probably should have turned my tag back in. That being said, I ended up shooting a 46" bull on the second to last day and had the time of my life. I spent 16 total days hunting and absolutely loved every minute rubbing shoulders with those unique critters. I have sheds from the unit from past years that would put my bull to shame but still consider my bull a treasure. Enjoy your hunt, I'm jealous! If you have never hunted moose before, they are a different animal compared to elk and deer. And they are more elusive than one would think.

Backpackin:

Would you mind if I gave you a call sometime to pick your brain a little about how to effectively hunt the area?

Thanks,
Todd

I have a kamas unit tag. i'm also fishing for info on how to hunt them. There is lakes and ponds everywhere. what type of terrain do they like? i hunt deer but it is always in the desert areas. any help would be great?THanks Justin

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom