E hunting Bikes

freedomrocks

E hunting Bikes

Just curious if any fellow MMs are using a E hunting bike , I have been looking at the Back Country mule and a couple of the different QuiteKats,, not just for hunting but just a good all around grocery getter...

RE: E hunting Bikes

LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-19 AT 09:32PM (MST)[p]https://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2019/21290bike.jpg

Built mine myself, and used it last season. It was awesome on logging roads to stay silent and call. Called in a grizzly straddling it. They are fun to ride and I ride mine around town. Built for less than a grand and it is 1500W which is a bigger motor than most brands.

I've looked into them but don't want to spend the money while they're still considered "motorized vehicles" by USFS and on other land managed by Department of Agriculture. The Department of Interior (BLM) treats them as bicycles, but on Forest Service land they're only legal on motorcycle/ATV/vehicle roads so they don't do me much good... I might as well stay on a quad or in a truck. They're also not legal for Idaho in Motorized Vehicle Restricted units, which happens to be most of the units I hunt.

I like the idea, they just don't work for my type of hunting yet. I figure I'll wait until they're legal as price will come down and/or technology will go up by then.

Grizzly

-----------------------------------------

Ask yourself if you agree with the following statement...

"It's time to revisit the widely accepted principle in the United States and Canada that game is a public resource."
-Don Peay, Founder of SFW, as quoted in Anchorage Daily News

The Hippies wanna Invade Primitive/Backwoods with them!

Notta!

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

I enjoy mine, Radwagon, and I use it for running errands as well as on some hunts.

I'm looking into studded tires for winter use too

Robb

15712img0585.jpg

>LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-19
>AT 09:32?PM (MST)

>
>
21290bike.jpg

>
>Built mine myself, and used it
>last season. It was awesome
>on logging roads to stay
>silent and call. Called
>in a grizzly straddling it.
> They are fun to
>ride and I ride mine
>around town. Built for
>less than a grand and
>it is 1500W which is
>a bigger motor than most
>brands.

What kit did you buy to build this off? I have looked at quite a few. How long is your battery lasting?

I'll Bet PleaseDear Has a Solar Panel in His Saddle Bags?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-23-19 AT 11:22AM (MST)[p]I used ebikeling.com the 1500W rear motor, I bought it on Amazon so I could buy the extended warranty. I blew it and didn't realize it came in a waterproof version and spent more time waterproofing connections. After a lot of research (I am sure you've done the same), I put more of the budget into the battery, with a 52V 20AH battery. The battery goes FOR MUCH LONGER THAN ANTICIPATED. I mean I will ride it for 2-3 days without charging, its crazy.
Things I learned:
- Buy the waterproof kit.
- Mid-drives have more torque than rear or front drives. A rear drive 1200W is about the same as a 750W mid drive.
- Mid drives are a LOT more expensive.
- Get the better LCD/LED unit, as my pedal assist doesn't work well and I think that is the problem.
- I use the thumb drive a lot, so make sure it is in a spot that's comfortable.
- A bigger/better battery will drive that motor better at capacity, so: bigger battery - better performance.
- Fat tires of at least 4" better on gravel or dirt roads at speed. My bike was not squirrely at all, but my buddies bike with 2.75" tires was.
- Make sure if you have weight on back of bike (like a rear drive), you put the batter weight up front (triangle or tube battery on front end).
- Front drives are harder to "steer" in loose footing and want to pull bike. I suggest rear drive out of those options.
- Regardless of what people think, (some guys just can't keep their uneducated opinions from every thread), ebikes are best to cover ground on roads, 2 tracks, and some flatter trails. Technical uphill with rocks, roots, and hard curves are tough with a backpack on your back.

Ebikes track fairly silently with just the sound of gravel crunching under tires. Perfect for covering ground and calling. When a bull is found, stash the bikes and go after it!

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the great info feed back, No hippie here , just an aging hunter trying to stay as active as possible, only gonna use it on roads ,2 tracks, and pavement

>Thanks for the great info feed
>back, No hippie here ,
>just an aging hunter trying
>to stay as active as
>possible, only gonna use it
>on roads ,2 tracks, and
>pavement

I use mine around town as well. They are a blast!

Outdoordan, I think your assessment is spot on. They have their limit in the back country, but in the right places they are a lot of fun. I bought mine for exercise but I tend to use the throttle only a little too much. Mine folds up for easy transport and I think I get a little more torque with the 20" wheels. 750Watt hub motor.

32130newride001.jpg

That's a nice set up Eel. I already am thinking about my next one. In a perfect world I'd have a suspension bike, or one of the new moto style ebikes. There is a whole new world of ebike styles coming...

No actually an extra battery was cheaper than the Solar system.

70802img0746.jpg

I used 5 gallon jugs in each pannier to get use to the balancing for taking meat out.

Robb

>Thanks for the great info feed
>back, No hippie here ,
>just an aging hunter trying
>to stay as active as
>possible, only gonna use it
>on roads ,2 tracks, and
>pavement

It wasn't aimed at you Freedom!

I'm Looking in to a 4X4 E-Chair!:D

>No actually an extra battery was
>cheaper than the Solar system.
>
>
>
>
70802img0746.jpg

>
>
>
>I used 5 gallon jugs in
>each pannier to get use
>to the balancing for taking
>meat out.
>
>
>Robb

Robb,
I really like that rack set up. Looks really bombproof. How does it ride with 80-90 lbs?

Pet Door Sales and Installation
www.utpetdoor.com

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-19 AT 08:12PM (MST)[p]Thanks

I've learned to walk it out and use the brakes when needed and the throttle assist when needed in steep up or down pack outs.

I really enjoy it that way when I've had 120-ish pounds of boned off meat and 30-40 pounds on my back on my pack.

Certainly more for safety.

Always Wear a Helmet!

Robb

I have been looking at a M2S R 750 , it looks good for what i think i need it for, price is good,, Anybody out there have any real life experience on one ?

That bike looks like a pretty good deal. You might find it under powered after a bit, but I think you would have a great time on it for a couple years.

Outdoordan, could you give us a brief run down on how you built yours? Where you got the parts and how you made the decisions on motor size, battery, etc. I really like your bike. I'm more interested in a bike that can pull a long steep hill, personally.

It just so happens I had a gentleman reach out to me via PM so I had most this typed out.

My cost:
1. Bike $150. I found used (he rode it once around block).
2. 52V 20AH triangle U004 Battery $405 + $50 (warranty) bought through ebay with charger. I just looked it over and the price has decreased by about $30.
3. Rear drive EBike kit: $240 + $30 (warranty). This is sold through ebikeling.com, but I bought their kit through amazon so I could buy the warranty. MAKE SURE YOU GET WATERPROOF, it snaps together a lot easier.
4. Labor to put tires on at shop: $25. You will probably want a local bike shop to mount tires and put a stop leak (there are better products than slime) in each tire.
5. Extra stuff for bike (rack, panniers, light, phone holder): $100. This is where you "bling" your bike. Kind of like putting icing on the cake. I bought cheap rack and panniers, I like Robb's a lot more.

Total: $1000

Being 15 miles from camp and getting a flat would suck bad. As far as puncture proofing your tires. There are a few ways to do this.

1. You can go tubeless, but this is more expensive to have someone do, and very time consuming to do it yourself.
2. You can put a puncture resistant liner such as Mr. Tuffy. I actually bought and returned this.
3. The guy at a local store told me just to use one of the new puncture sealants they had "ASB". They said you could run over a board with multiple nails and it would seal.
4. Use a newer puncture proof tube insert.

Thanks Outdoordan, the bike you bought had 4" tires and rims?

Does the rear rim come with the motor? And the controller? And the thumb throttle? What brand is your motor?

What's your top speed? I'm more interested in torque than speed. 20mph is more than enough, even on pavement.

Thanks for your help.

I saw a video on youtube of a guy repairing a flat tire on his ebike, without removing the wheel (a tube tire). Pretty cool.

Do they have Heated Grips & a Thumb Warmer?

Hey Eel?

Does the State of KALI Know You have that Bike?:D

> Hey Eel?
>
>Does the State of KALI Know
>You have that Bike?:D
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>I know so many people in
>so many places
>They make allot of money but
>they got sad faces
>
>It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

Actually, no. To be classified as a bicycle you're limited to 750w and a max speed of 20mph. But....you can only legally grow 6 marijuana plants for personal use only too. Nobody follows those laws either. :D

LOL!

Outdoordan, thanks! I think I have the gist of it. It's much appreciated. Ride safe.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom