early archery gila

E

elkdog56

i have been appling to the top areas in nm several years now,but i always applied for 2nd season. i know 1rst season odds are better. ihave yet to draw a tag. i also have read there will be 3 archery hunts for 2007. my question are the conditions like in begining of sept. bugling? weather? is it worth the gamble or stick to 2nd,3rd hunts thanks elkdog

The first hunt is usually HOT, weather-wise. Not much bugling, if any during the first days of September when I've drawn the tag. When we've called bulls in on this hunt, they almost always have come in silently, and quite often are alone.

Most people think it is a tough hunt, they're right. However, I like it ok. I might not if I didn't know my way around unit 15 so well. I've hunted it 5 or 6 different times.

I like early season too. Just wondering if you have heard of anything in unit 23 in the gila! Looking into the north part of the unit 23 next to the arizona border. I don't know anything about the unit or access in it. Wondering if you have, Any info would be great, thanks lance.

IMO the next few years are going to be a toss-up... El Nino is hitting.. Last year it was WET and the animals were scattered everywhere...Make sure you do your homework... :)

jason

The early hunt is a great time to kill the biggest bulls, if you know where they hang out, feed, water and etc. However, if you don't already have them patterned, they are very difficult to hunt as they are pretty quiet. Some years if it is cool, you can get them cranked up, but most of the time it is pretty hit and miss.

23 has great potential. However, NMG&F has hunted the snot out of it and it will take many years for it to recover. Someday I might go back, but not this year.

hunted in 15 this fall 2nd ml hunt I dont know if your odds would be much better or not I too put in for bow for several years and all the outfitters try to get you to put in for 1st season I wouldnt be afriad of 1st if its a dry year like normal stay on water not my favorite but it works fella in camp this fall killed a 377 in northern 23 rifle tag I took a 300 in 15 it had been wet and the elk were scattered I have hunted 23 a couple of times that north end is a bear if you do hunt it and they are quiet then go to the southern end alot more open and you can find them down there

We drew 16a early archery in 06... We hunted every day of the 15 day season ... The weather was rainy nearly every day.. The elk were vocal but would not come to calls... we seen a few shooters but couldnt close the distance.. its a tough hunt but if I could get the tag a would go again.... my understanding is the rifle hunt is better... but I would rather bow hunt.

I have guided 7 bulls over 360 in the gila archery hunts.All of them came around the 7th to the 13th. Most of the bulls we killed later were around 300-320. They don't talk as much but they can be easier to stalk and then call when you get close ( 100 yrds or less) hunt the thickest, steepest place you don't want to go and that will be the diff for that hunt!
Travis
www.southwesthuntingadventures.com

elkdog56,

I hunted 16A last fall during the first rifle season and it rained four out of the five days. And as you know the elk were scattered everywhere from all of the rain they had since summer. I heard that their annual percipitation is around 8", but last year they supposedly received over 40" of rain between July and October!!! It was so bad that a local gas station in Reserve had to install an asphalt curb around their store to help direct the water away.

This fall I was thinking of applying for the 3rd bow season but I really don't like elk to hunt elk during a full moon. Still trying to make up my mind...

Grizzly

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom