Early Rifle U-102, DIY, Pack In, Questions

dancermatt

My son and I were lucky to draw this year for 10, early rifle. So the diet and work out starts in earnest. I'm going up there Aug. 10-14th to scout, glass, fish. I have some questions that I hope some of you can answer, I'm focusing on areas between Long Canyon and Liberty/Favre Lake up high..here it goes:
1. What's the wx like between 8 and 10k ft during Aug. and Oct?
2. Is it safe to leave a vehicle parked at TH for 3 or 4 nights? If not, is there a service or person who can keep car and drop/pu at a TH?
3. What are bucks focusing on during early Oct, are they on the move?
4. Will they be on the N, S, E side of hills for food, rest?
5. What is best technique for hunting up high, stay put and glass or move and glass?
6. Should/can I build a camp fire at night with our scaring off bucks, probably not much wood up there?
7. How many C.I back pack is good for 5 nights? How many lbs is min. max?
8. What about water up high above lakes? Advice?
9. What am I missing or need to know for success? Thanks, Matt

I also drew a early 10 rifle hunt so I'll be up there also during the hunt. To answer some of your questions. Mountain weather is the same everywhere. If your not afraid to hunt away from the trailhead then your hunt will be boring and uneventful. The mountain range is a north to south range but you'll find deer everywhere. Hunt as high as you can and look at maps to find water before you go. Allot of the drainages have plenty of water. Make sure to take a purifer I wouldn't trust the streams to just drink out of. You don't know what died in the stream above you. Hunt and stalk is the way to do it. If possible get above them. I always have a very small camp fire. Watch the wind, your ashes can get way out of control and start a fire. The area is normally super dry this time of the year. The temps are not really that bad unless you get a snow storm. I use a Badlands 2800 and it has all I need for a 4 day packout. Depends on how much you eat. My backpack with gun and spotting scope weighs about 35 lbs. Pack what you can carry. Best advice, be in shape if you want to get a nice buck. The Rubys is a mountain range where everyone will be at the top. If you can get away from people the hunt will be the best. They always have a ton of tags for this hunt date, so you'll see other hunters. Have fun and shoot a big one.

Mickey, thanks for responding. Sorry for delay getting back to you, just got back from Florida/vacation. We're packing in and going high to find good spots to glass. I think between my son and I we'll be able to keep packs at 35lbs. I'm going up a day or two prior to season open to scout. What will the big boys be doing historically early Oct depending on Wx of course. I'm glad to hear about the fire although there may not be a lot of wood up high? I was concerned about scaring off the dear with a fire? I've got purifier, Katadyn filter. Would you recommend glassing one canyon each day till we see something or focusing on one canyon? I was considering splinting up the team and focusing on two canyon at a time and using radios to communicate?

Try as many canyons as you can, but give them a good lookover. May not see one day but may see the next in the same canyon.

Good binocs and a good spotter. Find large box canyons and glass paying special attention to slide areas. Fires are ok, but don't burn much in your hunting area within direct eyesight of your quarry. Not only will there be plenty of deer up high, but the sage lowlands have great numbers of deer as well. Good boots are a must, and don't forget the moleskin, as blisters will anchor a man!and as said many times before, those who scout,,,,score! Good luck

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom