Early Youth Bull Tag- Pine Valley Unit

B

Bummer

My son has a youth bull tag this year. Looking for some info or thoughts on the pine valley and pine mt area.

A tough unit ! The last I heard was 20 to 25 elk on the unit. Unless you get lucky and catch a heard crossing over from Nevada. I know a few years back a Handicapped hunter found a good bull and watched him. He could hunt early and got a nice bull. If you have seen elk on the unit before the hunt and can keep a eye on them you might be ok. If you take a youngster into this unit hoping to see a elk during the hunt. You may never see a animal Period, except a deer or two . Without direct knowledge of a elk on the unit. I would look for another unit.

Are you coming from another state? Is there a reason you are trying to stay down south ? All of the youth areas are just open bull areas with less people on them. They are not like limited entry areas. But the LE hunts are going on at the same time. If you can find a herd that the LE guys may push into a open bull area. You have Beaver and the Cedar city areas that are open bull. Up by duck creek you can catch a few good elk on the south side of the hwy . You need to start scouting now and at least learn the roads and find a few elk. Good luck to you and your young man.

I lived on the Pine Valley unit for years, and the only elk I ever found were in places I wouldn't want to shoot an elk. I wouldn't even consider hunting it, it just wouldn't be worth the time.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-09-15 AT 12:43PM (MST)[p]South slope of the uintas is where i would go out towards vernal a lot more elk.youngsters have a fair shake at it in that country

I have spent a lot of time on that unit. I have never laid eyes on an elk and have rarely seen any sign. It is a huge area, and I know there are a few in there, but it would be tough to fill a tag in that area. Good luck!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom