eastern Co. question

L

leet

I will be moving to the Burlington area in a couple of weeks, 10 miles from Kansas. Any mule deer in that country? Tough to find a place to hunt? Any bird hunting to speak of? Lived on western slope for years but know nothing about that side of the state. Any help or advice would be a great help to us. Thanks.

Plenty of mule deer, but outfitters are starting to tie-up land. And something happened between the 2012 & 2013 season because deer numbers dropped big time. Pheasant hunting sucks right now because of the drought, four years ago it was amazing. Pray for rain! Lots of Dove early. Bonny Reservoir went dry to never come back (thanks Kansas) so there goes your fishing & boating.

But the people out there are 1st rate!!!

You actually have a dove shoot? That is always fun. Saw some nice bucks on walls when I was there. How tough are tags to come by? Any waterfowl hunting to speak of? Am used to having elk on the porch, will miss that.

I have been seeing plenty of whitetail out there. Drawing a tag is the easy part.I assume you work in ag as I do.Your contacts will be helpful.Mule deer there seem to grow some non typical racks there.the 2012 fawn crop did not fare well but other than that the herd is healthy and this year is very green out there and feed is in about as good a shape as ever. CRP fields can hold big deer especially when near corn or sorghum crops

I have been hunting eastern Co for the past 12 years and killed some real giants---both muleys and whitetails. Private ground is a must. Get out and knock on some doors. I did that 13 years ago and gained access to a couple of ranches that I have leased for myself ever since. Alot of the good ground is already locked up with outfitters but the locals are very friendly---so---with a little work, you might be able to find yourself your own little honey hole. Especially if you pony up a little dough. Good luck.

The Bonny Reservoir is now dry---thanks to water wars with Kansas. There is roughly 10,000 acres of public hunting there but it is crowded and the deer population has suffered because of the water situation.

And yes, in good moisture years, the pheasant hunting in eastern Co is fantasic.

Good luck with your move.

Bryan-Wisconsin

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom