Eastman's Wyoming Deer Tip

30Hart

Very Active Member
Wanted to say a nice thing about Eastman's. Guy answered a couple of questions I had via email with about a 10 minute response time...now that's great service!!! Thought I'd pass on his thoughts on spending max points for deer. Looks like the same as last year. Deer are in bad shape, keep building points.

That's what Garth has been saying for a while.

My question is wouldn't you be better off hunting some decent hunts who knows how many times than build up who knows how many points for a hunt who knows when or how good it will be? it's a crap shoot.

As a guy from Oregon I've learned waiting for the deer to come back may not ever happen. I have confidence Wyoming is smarter than the ODFW but the fact is mule deer trends are not in our favor most everywhere.

Guy said the same thing in their latest magazines that I subscribe to, so at least he isn't waffling on what to do. I'm beginning to believe that buying many deer PPs is a waste of money for deer in Wyoming the way things have been going for some time now. It seems that what are supposed to be the better units that are touted by Carters and Eastmans are not producing like they once were. There are many reasons for this including weather, lack of habitat, encroaching civilization, too many roads into good areas, etc., but I think a lot of it is also caused by the F&G themselves due to poor management of tag numbers. I have 3 PPs for this year and will probably hunt on a Regional tag again and buy a PP, but I doubt if I will buy more than one more before I use them up. I'm pretty well resigned that my days of getting a buck on public land at my age like a lot are posting on this site are few and far between. That's okay though because pulling the trigger has become much less significant as I get up there in years and just the getting out and doing the hunts are what I really thrive on. Besides, what I consider a trophy in the area I hunt is not even looked at twice where guys have access to these monster mulies being posted.

That's my fear too. That some day I'll wake up with 20 preference points for deer in Wyoming and still only be able to shot a 130 2 1/2 year old.

You're right, its not what it was. However, I think you guys are right on. You can wait forever and it may get no better - or it may get worse. The fact is there are some L.E. units in Wyoming where you can have a good hunt on public land and with some boot leather and maybe a little luck you can get a darn nice deer. Thats really the new norm. The days of shooting 180 inch bucks off the hood are over. I have max points and I'm going to use them as soon as I can get drawn. MERRY CHRISTMAS ! Chip

My cousin and myself have max points but I don't think I will worry with them again in Wyoming.He was with a friend that shot a 30 inch buck in 102 several years ago and thats all he thinks about.I just want to hunt and hate missing these years hunting some where there.

Wyoming is in sad shape. I doubt the western side of the state will ever make a true comeback. The effects of all the energy development and all that goes along with it are starting to show. It really is a sad deal to look at wyomings western winter range. It just isn't wild country any more.

"Dear MacGuyver, Enclosed is a rubber band, a paper clip, and a drinking straw. Please save my dog." Peter Griffin aka The Family Guy

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom