Eberlestock ???

Y

yoter

I have been reading up on the J107 and finally had a chance to see one today at the Sportsmans Warehouse. The kid that was working there tried, but wasn't very knowledgable. A couple of questions after looking at it.

1. When you zip the spike camp duffel into the pack, are the access and zippers supposed to face towards the inside of the pack? That appears to be the only way it will attach, but the logo and everything else appears to be facing the wrong way.

2. Are the zippers on the spike camp about 1" longer that those of the pack? It seems like if you put some weight in it the zippers would just pull away and come unzipped. (althought the compression/support straps would probably prevent this)

3. I am wanting to use this pack for backpacking/scouting in the summer months as well as hunting mule deer and possibly elk in the fall. Once you get it all loaded up, do you tend to get enough weight that is out away from your back that it really starts to pull away?

4. The water bladder compartments are in somewhat unconventional locations compared to other packs (not centered in the rear of the pack closest to your back). What of the three compartments available do you guys tend to use?

Not trying to shoot holes in the pack by any means, I actually really like it. Just haven't quite figured out how all the details are supposed to work yet.

Thanks in advance for the advice.... I stumbled on this site while researching this pack and have found some great info so far.

There are two type of Spike Camp Duffels available for the Just Ones. The J2SD is nylon, and the zipper opening faces into the pack when attached with the zipper attachment. The J3SD is made of the same NT1 fabric as the pack. It's zipper opening faces outward when zipped on.

The J2SD is lighter and less bulky. The J3SD is heavier, but has the quiet NT1 material. Either Spike Duffel can also be attached with the compression straps, and can face either way. The intent of the Spike Duffel was to carry your spike camp gear, and when arriving to camp, simply remove it, and be ready to start hunting. There are many other pockets and the main compartment of the pack that can hold the items you would need during transit.

Yes the zippers are about an inch longer as when the pack is full and the Spike Camp duffel is full, it makes it easier to zip onto the pack. I've never had a duffel come un-zipped, and yes the compression straps can hold the duffel in place without even being zipped. The first generation Just One and duffel just attached via the compression straps. Either duffel is also designed to fit within the pack when opened, so you could have a duffel in the pack, and one attached to the outside of the pack.

The compression straps do a great job keeping the load tight along with the shoulder strap adjustments. When I get a heavy load on, while wearing the pack I make adjustments to the shoulder straps to get that "perfect balance" that I like.

The water bladder pocket was designed to be next to your body, and opposite the Gun Scabbard, thus giving the pack a great balance. I have also used the scabbard to carry my tripod and put my spotting scope on the outer pocket on the same side of the scabbard when not carrying a rifle which also balances it nicely.

There are many good packs currently on the market. The Just One was designed to be a day pack, with a built in gun scabbard that can carry a camp in and a load of meat out.

Here is a picture of a Nevada guide, Thomas Brunson of Timberline Outfitters hauling 144 lbs of my brother in laws elk out in 2004. He has since hauled over 40 more bulls out with his Just One pack which is a first generation J104, after using during the hunt as a day pack. It can carry the weight and is quality made. The J107 is designed for carrying heavy loads even better than the first J104s.

J10420packing20elk20xsm1.jpg

Ed

47ea5b3c7158c1ee.jpg

www.trophyhuntoutfitters.com

BigBull1 is right on, I've been using the J104 for a few years now and use it for backcountry hunting. It works great for bivy hunting, my favorite style of hunting. The duffle is teriffic when you're heading in to set up a base camp or just a backpacking trip. It's so nice to drop of the gear and be ready for a day hike in minutes. The versatility of this pack is outstanding.

I've packed many heavy loads of meat several miles and it performs great. You will probably have to experiment a little with the long side pouches before you come up with the perfect load.

The J107 is just an improved version of the original.

Coon

A couple examples of how well it packs meat.
This years elk, about 5 miles in.
47eb123c330537fa.jpg

This years Blacktail, entire boned deer.
47eb128d37098db3.jpg

I have this pack and love it as well. It ware's nicely and can hold everything I need for a week in the hills. I also have the spike duffle and it is so nice to be able to get to camp and dump off the duffle and be ready to go. Also if you decide to move camp it is so quick and easy just to zip the duffle back on and not have to worrie about repacking everything in your pack.

I have used it on scoutting trips as well as horn hunting and it works great for all situations.

Just a great pack.

Jeff

I just bought the J107 yesterday and love it. I have been looking at hunting packs for a while and this is the best I found. The Blacks Creek Canadian or Alaskian was also very nice and well thought out. However the quality on the Eberlestock seemed better in my opinion. Really I would like to have both, but for know the Just-one will do the job and more. The gun scabbard on the Just-one is by far the best I have ever seen.

Thanks for the input guys. It's nice to see the pack in action in some of the pics. I think I'm pretty well sold on the J107, but it will be a few months. I hear the Eberlestock is going to have a new pack coming out soon, something like a J109.... Might see what that's all about by the time I am ready tp make the purchase.

I used the J104 for the first time this year and am one of the guys who seem to have a hard time getting it to fit close enough to my back to make a heavy load comfortable. Love it as a hunting pack, but will keep my old frame pack in the truck for meat runs.

Cabela's has it for $299.00 but I'm sure Sportsmans will be a little cheaper than that.

Coon

I have this pack and love it...........however I have one modification that needs to be made.

Last year I helped a friend on a Paunsaguant hunt then later had my own hunt. I didnt clean the pack between or during my hunt. My gun had been riding in the pack scabbord for a few days and one morning prior to heading out I took it out to run the action and make sure things were right. Well I quickly found out that dust dirt pine needles and debris had fallen into the scabbord and my barrel had become PLUGGED. Bouncing down the trail for miles and miles had packed over an inch long clog. Luckily I noticed this prior to taking a shot. Now I cover the end of the barrel with tape but over time it too wore away and needed replaced. I am in the process of adding a sling attachment to keep the gun barrel from resting in the bottom of the scabbard, plus I am constantly aware of the need to keep the scabbard area clean and free of debris. .....Just a heads up for those with the pack....I love it!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom