Electronic game call for elk

Sorry to disagree, but electronic callers are completely LEGAL in AZ. Only if they are used to call in migratory birds are they illegal.

Call a friend of mine who is the Chief of Law Enforcement at AZ G&F, Gene Elms at 623-236-7307 if you'd like to verify this information.

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

We probably ought to buy stock in any of the electronic call manufacturers that offer it when word of this gets out!

Don: Thanks for correcting me and the correct info...I learned something today. It has been 20 yrs since i read a set of AZ Regs. That is a big change for any State...might as well let hunters use bait/salt licks while AZ is at it. I could see it for varmits but not for big game...

Wonder why AZ would allow such a thing. Do they allow the elk to pack a side arm? :) Where I hunt in Idaho we can't even use lighted nocks on our arrows because they are considered an electronic devise.

Again tks for the correction :)

Glenn
))))......>

LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-11 AT 03:01PM (MST)[p]Mt. Lions are big game, so that is a difficult subject. I have never used an electronic call for elk or deer, but I personally feel we have enough laws already.

Stickman: I was only joking around and making fun of your AZ Reg's.

I just feel an electronic call for elk is an unnecessary method to lure such a majestic animal to his death...I just can't call that hunt'n even if your Game and Fish Department allows the use of the device. When someone can record an elk's bugle then perfectly reproduce that sound to lure and take/kill that elk. That just goes against my ideals of fair chase. I feel if the hunter can't reproduce a call sound from his own physical effort using the conventional calls already on the market then the hunter looses and the elk wins.

An electronic call is an unfair and unnecessary advantage to the hunter when not predator hunting. If I was an AZ resident I would do my best to get the use of an electronic call devise prohibited for elk.

))))......>

Good to know! I have always been told I can't use an electronic call for Turkey!

Same question with cams...electronic device, not fair! Throw your range finder away also!!!

Just go kill a big bull legally and be happy! Stop the nonsence!

I think the question was "is it legal" not "hey guys in Idaho, whats your ethical opinion on me using an electronic call for Elk in AZ"

NOBODY ASKED YOUR OPINION! And if the guy wants to use one, I'M SURE HE DOESN'T CARE WHAT YOUR OPINION IS!

So stinking tired of guys getting on here and offering an opinion to people who don't ask. Would you walk up to him in Cabelas if he was standing looking at a Elk call on display and give him your opinion about the ethical use of calls and hunting Elk without him requesting it? No, I promise you would not have the minerals to do that. So why do it here???

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, US Army
"Most men go through life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Regan

LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-11 AT 08:09AM (MST)[p]Trophyhunter, read your post again... still bugging me.

Is a Mnt Lion any less majestic? Or a bear, or a Bobcat, or a Lynx, or a coyote for that matter? I'm sure to some they are more majestic. So explain the difference please. Your comments are biased and very opinionated and like maddglasser said you'd better toss everything electronic you use while hunting!

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, US Army
"Most men go through life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Regan

That is the point. Personally, I think I can make more sounds with my own mouth and a few calls than any electronic caller but far be it from me to tell someone else its un-ethical.

Sorry for bagging you so hard Trophyhunter but you came across very elitist.

I'm by know means an elk hunter so please forgive my ignorance.

How would one use an electric call while hunting elk? It seems to me that a hunter would need to use several different sounds at different times while calling in a bull.

Are these calls one size fits all? Or
can one scroll thru different types of bugles and cow calls while calling a bull in?

I'm sure using electronic calls for elk is nothing like setting up a stand for varmints.

I'm not convinced that using electric elk calls is gonna be very advantageous to the hunter. Theirs to many variables to consider and an electronic call could get confusing.

Gun control is a good aim and a steady rest

I had a guy using one in 5BS a few years ago and I had elk running to me from his call. Way too loud and irritating. You could hear that thing five miles away. If you use one please turn it down to low.

NO keep it high and I will hunt downwind of ya. LOL
Electronic calls are pretty limited in what the do offer.
kind like a Hoochie mama call it limited in use but works good to a point.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

LAST EDITED ON Feb-08-11 AT 08:31AM (MST)[p]Mesquitehunter.

I've never used them but my foxpro came with three different bugle sounds and three or four different cow calls and chirps. Not sure how they would work on elk but they don't sound to bad. I usually use the bugles at the end of a varmint set to let my hunting partners know the calls over. We usually get a good laugh hearing a bugle in some wash way out in the middle of the desert.

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?
square-large-sec.gif

>just wait until you get a
>response......
>
>Don Martin
>AWO

No doubt about that..ive been seeing some bulls in the prickly pear desert lately and there isnt a pine tree ot cedar for 50 miles.

Don
Funny you say that a few years back I was practicing my bugles in the backyard and had a return bugle fron down the street here in So Ca. Talked to the guy and he was getting ready for a hunt too and was moving to Colorado the next week after he got back, found a hunter and then he moved just my luck.

"That just goes against my ideals of fair chase. I feel if the hunter can't reproduce a call sound from his own physical effort using the conventional calls already on the market then the hunter looses and the elk wins.

An electronic call is an unfair and unnecessary advantage to the hunter when not predator hunting. If I was an AZ resident I would do my best to get the use of an electronic call devise prohibited for elk."

I'm not trying to pile on, but....
When I started elk hunting, the old flute style call was state of the art. It gave probably 3 tones, and was hideous sounding. Everyone knew it was not a bull elk. Except for the bull elk of course. The thing worked!

As time passed, the calls became increasingly sophisticated and easier to use. They also sounded much better, therefore were more effective. Some of the new calls are easily mastered, and sound just like an elk.

I know guys that only use a reed call, and some do not use even that. Only their own voice aided by some sort of tube for resonance (as simple as an empty paper towel roll). These same guys could argue that the technology you can purchase, unwrap and simply blow into is an unfair advantage. But that seems kind of silly.

Personally I am in the latter camp. It just seems more rewarding. However I would not deny another new technology to accomplish the same thing (that argument has no end). I also would not consider it "unfair" chase.

Everything is unfair when it comes to hunting, throw out trail camera's, gps devices, radio's, binoculars, rangefinders, etc. Sitting over a water hole is unfair. Baiting for coues whitetail is unfair. The botton line is any of the above things does not make a gauranteed successful hunt, you still have to know what you are doing and how to hunt the animal.

This thread looks like it sliding toward the edge of the canyon.

DonMartin.

Ya I do always expect to get a response when down by alamo. Just hasn't happened yet.

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?
square-large-sec.gif

sure would be helpful if hunting by yourself..being able to seperate yourself from the caller.. no opinion on it..

Hey Jabali
Should be illegal to have a guide show u were the elk are and call them in for u too right???? Just food for thought.

I wonder what kind of gear Jabali hunts with?.... I picture a loin cloth harvested from a jack rabbit a bow made from a Gamble oak he cut down with a self knapped basalt axe and backed with self harvested sinew bonded to the back of his bow with hide glue he made himself of course...... Rivercane arrow shafts tipped with basalt heads and fletched with left wing turkey feathers top off his gear....... He leaves the valley and starts walking up to Elk country one month before season opener and hits camp one day before the season opens...... After harvesting his Elk he smokes all the meat, Brain tans the hide, cures the sinew and finds a use for everything else except the bugle......Then he hikes back down to the valley with all of it on his back..... My Hero!!!!!!......... Terry

Read the whole post guys!!!!

Quote for the end of Jabali's post:

"Personally I am in the latter camp. It just seems more rewarding. However I would not deny another new technology to accomplish the same thing (that argument has no end). I also would not consider it "unfair" chase."

He's saying the same thing we are. Read his entire post and you'll notice he is quoting trophyhunter.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-16-11 AT 01:47PM (MST)[p]I know better than to skim read...... My apologies Jabali... Thanks for pointing that out AZWalker.... Terry

edit: I wondered why Don was agreeing with him. That should have been my first clue.... :)...

+ 1 azstickman
but if i wait 20yrs for a tag and spend tons of cash on a tag give me every oppurtunity to fill it. Never used a electronic call personally dont really care. Whatever it takes to get close. Wasnt meant to be a jab at jabali i actually agree.

No biggy, actually the only reason I noticed was cuz I liked his post. Then I saw yours and thought "I liked his post, am I an A-hole?" I had to re-read it too.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom