Elevation

Devlin

I was wondering how much difference it would be when you sight in at 800 ft. above sea level then go hunt at 9000 ft. above sea level?I would think you would shoot higher?I wasn,t sure so I drove 90 miles just so I could sight my new 50 cal. Omega in at 6000 ft. for a upcoming Nevada hunt.They sent me some 240 grain hollow point lead sabots/ Cheap Shots / that I used.At 30 yards right out of the box I had 1 inch groups about 1 inch high and 1 inch to the right.I adjusted it to the left a little then went to shoot at 100 yards and was shooting to the right 2 to 3 inches and about 5 inches high with 2 inch groups.I got it to group 3 inches high and 2 inch groups so I was pretty happy so I put my new target out to 150 yards and shot 4 times and had a 4 inch group from the center of the bulls eye. The only problem I had was loading the bullets, the barrel has a real tight fit and the last inch of the rod was tough to seat the bullet,also I cleaned real well between each shot so I don,t know why this happens maybe just the type of sabot? and yes my shoulder does hurt a little oh yea I was useing 2 50 grain 777 pellets ....Devlin

Just a little up date, went to give my Omega a good cleaning and decided to pull the breach plug/ first time / and the plug was real tight and I put 2 cracks in the factory socket so I had to use a 7/16 socket and ratchet to get it out,Damm that makes me madd now I have to call and see if they will give me a new socket and breach plug...the plug has some rounded corners when it broke.I hope they have a good service dept....Devlin

Devlin,

You can purchase an extra TC breech plug from most places that stock a lot of blackpowder stuff. I've bought a second one and I exchange it with the one in the barrel about every ten shots when at the range. It definately helps with breech plug problems. You should only put it in finger tight and then loosen and retighten after a few shots. Also removing the plug before you leave the range while the barrel is still warm is helpful.

BeanMan

I am unsure of the amount of difference elevation makes in the trajectory of a muzzleloading bullet, but generally speaking an increase in elevation will make bullets shoot higher. While a decrease in temperature will make bullets shoot lower.
So, given the fact that the air temp usually goes down as elevation goes up things should all even out...right? I just don't bother worrying about it.

Steep shot angles will cause a shooter to be off the target much more than elevation alone ever will.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom